1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tablet/I Pad Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I am thinking of getting my parents a tablet or I Pad for Christmas. I would like your thoughts and opinions. My parents are in their early 70's and have never had a computer, and very little computer knowledge. Let me hear from ya!!!!

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My wife's had a Ipad for about a year now and loves it. Free lessons at the apple store.

I used it for 2 days while the desk top was down and for me I didn't like how small the print was. If you make the print bigger then you have to scroll sidways to read it all.

3. bozwell

bozwell TS Member

Be careful, or this might happen:

http://www.snotr.com/video/8965/

In all seriousness, tablets are great if you're a techie and will make use of it. They can be decent to read on, but I personally find some of the Kindle products to be better. The display technology on the basic kindles is just black and white, but it's very easy on the eyes and feels like you're looking at a piece of paper, rather than a display screen. Just be careful that you aren't getting them something they'll never use. :)

As for which platform, I have a couple of iPads and I like them a lot. That said, I recently got an android phone and it's very nice too. I find the Apple products to be a bit more stable, but they're both very good overall and I'd definitely consider the Android tablets.

4. Westie

Westie Member

Ipad. They can do as little or as much as they want with a little coaching.

5. Shoot682

Shoot682 TS Member

iPad for sure. Apple products work very well, and their customer service is second to none.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've never used a tablet, but I don't think I could do without the keyboard, using a touch screen to make long posts here, write emails, ect seems like it would be tedious. I have an Asus netbook that I paid a little over $200 for, it goes with me when I travel, and is used for internet radio in my reloading room, and has more than paid for itself in the past 2.5 years. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

7. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I've had 2- I pads and now have the Galaxy tab. I will never go back to the Apple market. I have the Android phone as well. Just my 2 cents. Rooferbob

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I have a Samsung Android smartphone, a Kindle Fire and an IPad.

Get them the IPad.

9. superx1

superx1 Member

IPAD!!! Just be sure to get them the wireless keyboard!!

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I got my wife an iPad when they first came out. Then last Xmas she bought me and iPad II. When she retired this year, her company bought her an iPad III and a 2500 dollar gift certificate for Best Buy.

I found a cover for mine with a external keyboard, but hardly ever use it and went back to a thinner cover. We keep the first one in the kitchen and we can use it to read the paper and as a remote for the satellite TV in the kitchen.

We also use them to open suspicious emails. My was just named in a nuns will for 12-1/2 million dollars.

When watching tv, loading shells, working on my hotrod, I can monitor TS.com and make disparaging remarks on it, look up trivia, or information, or a useful " how to " tip.

11. 548

548 Guest

There are two iPads in my house. I don't know what I ever did without them. My wife and I sit in bed at night watching TV and surfing the Internet at the same time. Zero boot up time whatsoever, just hit the switch and you are rolling. We have a windows desktop down stairs and the kids have two windows laptops. They are virtually unused now. Everyone fights over the iPads.

12. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

If they just want to read books the Kindle Touch is easy to use, works well. My wife got one for her 75th birthday and has read more books in the last 7 months than at any time in her life! For 79 bucks you can't go wrong. With Amazon if you don't like it in the first week or so you can send it back. Very liberal return privilege. I have a Kindle Touch too. Best reading tool for me. If you want all the jazz of the web, apps, color movies, whizbang stuff, then either Amazon Fire or iPad, the Fire being less expensive.

13. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

We have three Kindles in the family and three iPads. I like the iPad and its thickness. i use a styulus with it and it works great. My wife and son have bluetooth keyboards for their Ipads and they work great The kindles are better for reading at the beach.

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte,NC

14. Steve V

Steve V TS Member

We have an Ipad II, a Kindle Fire, a couple laptops, a couple desktops and I just picked up the new Kindle "Paperwhite".

If they are going to use it for reading books, get the new Paperwhite. $119, simple to use, and you can read in bed or in dim light. If they are like me and need reading glasses, you can easily increase the font size. Plus it is small and very light-weight.

If you want to surf the net, do Facebook, and the like, get the Ipad. Quite frankly, I would save some money and get the Ipad II. The Ipad III is quite a bit more money and does have a nicer display, but the II is plenty nice also.

Good luck!

Steve V

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.