1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Table saw question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by quicky, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicky

quicky Member

I have looked all over the woodworking blogs for a good base on which I can roll my new table saw. There are as many opinions there as there are here on 7 1/2 and #8 shot.

So, I am left with the question unanswered, and this site gives me more commonsense answers than anyplace I have ever tried. I just bought a new-to-me Powermatic Mod. #72 table saw. 14" blade. Looks to be in terrific shape. 7.5 hp 3-phase motor which will be fine.

I do need a good wheeled base to put under it which will allow me to move it out of the way after I am done working with it. There seem to be a lot of bases out there which are described as 'total junk' by many users. Any woodworkers among the many shooters out there who may have a constructive opinion (unlike the 'send it to me and all your concerns will be over type) of which tack to take? Thanks in advance, Quicky

2. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

If you are looking for something that is "heavy duty", you may be better off going to a metal fab shop, and getting something custom made. If you are located in the Cicagoland area, I can steer you in the right direction. Just out of curiousity, don't you need special wiring, etc. for a three phase motor? Have a happy fourth of July.

3. quicky

quicky Member

I have a 10hp phase converter that will work just fine. It will run 3 10hp motors at the time but will not start all 3 at the same time. Quicky

4. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

You might consider building one yourself.

You can build one with shelves/drawers beneath for blades, dadoes, featherboards, etc. Or use that space for a sawdust accumulator, a scrapped dryer blower or shopvac is good for that purpose, all you need is negative air pressure. Connect the blower or vac to the side of the reservoir. I have an accumulator with access via a bottom-hinged back door and also side shelves attached to the base. Most of the base is made of birch plywood. You can buy various sizes of lockable caster wheels to make it reasonably mobile.

Good luck.

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I would seriously consider a more stable mounting....even bolted to the floor.....That's a serious, powerful piece of machinery to have on wheels. Those casters are just an accident waiting to happen.

6. lefthdr

lefthdr Member

I have a big Delta with a base made by HTC. It also is extended for my larger table extension. Rolls around like a dream. http://www.htcproductsinc.com/

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

221 is right. That saw, if it catches a snag, could cause harm to your body, as in cracked ribs or smashed fingers.

I used to work in a woodshop, and have seen large chunks of hard rock maple in flight. All you can do is duck.

HM

8. M Wayne

M Wayne TS Member

Quicky, I have a mobile base I purchased from Grizzly That is quite nice. It is adjustable in all four sides. It has screw down locks at the back two corners to keep it from slipping while in use. I own my own woodworking business and would recommend this base. I use one on all of my large power tools. They are quite well built in my opinion and would recommend them to anyone. Hope this helps. Mike

9. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Wow, that is a nice saw and you are lucky to have the 3 phase converter. Does the saw have just the base or does it have a base and extension legs? If it also has legs, that will make it a little more difficult. I think I saw a base at Woodcraft that would work, even with the legs, or you might call Powermatic. Powermatic is really helpful. Be careful with those big blades, they are expensive.

10. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I also have the HTC mobile base on my unisaw and my 8 inch joiner. They work very well...easy to move even the biggest tools.

Rick in Mt.

11. quicky

quicky Member

There is a little more than luck in the rotary phase converter, like $1500. I am building on to my garage to put in a machine shop of my own. It is a small space, 23' x 24', but I don't plan on getting too involved, no employees, etc. I am putting in a Series 1 Bridgeport mill, new in 1988 but it has never turned a chip and has been in long term Navy storage since purchase. I will add a DRO to it and it will be ready to go. I am also purchasing a 17" x 80" C to C LeBlond engine lathe to go with it. About 5000 hours on the lathe but it is in really good shape. Got a hydraulic press today, 25 ton and 20" stroke for broaches and misc. I have been a machinist since I began an apprenticeship in 1970 and it is about time to put some of that to use for myself. I have about 12 yrs 'till retirement and that will allow me to be pretty selective about the work I take on and the only bill I have is the new house payment for the shop and goodies. I don't have to make a living from the shop, just make the payments, around 1K / month. I paid $600 for the table saw and it is in immaculate condition, came out of a community college auction. The press was free but I have to buy the ram, or make one. I have never flipped the on switch on a CNC machine and don't realy care to. I live in a community with a lot of heavy industry and it isn't much given to large runs of small parts. Mostly 1's and 2's of whatever.

Two concerns I have: first is that I get enough work to pay my new bills and throw in a little extra for shooting; second is that I get too much work and get tempted to go on my own and do something foolish. I don't want to be worked to death but I do want to pay the bills. I have a friend who runs a 1-man shop and he has had 1 week off in 11 years. I enjoy my vacations too much for that, even though I usually take them a day or two here and there.

At any rate, thanks much for the suggestions and I will investigate throughly before jumping in and doing something foolish (I hope!). Quicky

12. bocephus

bocephus Member

That is too much saw for a mobile base, besides accuracy is lost when something with so much horsepower is not sitting solidly on a concrete floor.

Trade you for a unisaw.....with a mobile base....hehe

I have a 11 foot slider with a 10 hp motor with a 16 inch blade and yes have seen wood fly back and through the wall

how many amps to start the converter?

13. quicky

quicky Member

I don't know how many, I need a #4 feed to the converter with at least an 80 amp breaker. That is what the converter mfg. said. There are bunches of capacitors in the panel that starts the motor.

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Short of giving up all your free time, you'll probably regret doing it in the end.
    There's a reason your boss charges so much.

15. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

http://grizzly.com

Great prices on GREAT woodworking equipment!

SW

16. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I use HTC mobile base for my 5hp Unisaw with table extensions and a sliding table. Works fine. I made my own 3 phase converter. All of my other machines are on HTC mobile bases except the drill press. The Powermatic Mod. #72 will work fine on a HTC mobile base. The wheels roll in the oposite direction of the feed of the wood into the blade. Plus there is a caster lock too.
    Hope this helps,
    Todd

17. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Look at using 12" blades unless you need the extra depth as the kerf will be less than the 14", Jeff

18. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Grizzly. synonymous with "made in China". R

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

BRGII is correct in that Grizzly imports from China. Sadly though, so does nearly every other major manufacturer of woodworking equipment who sells in this country. Even Delta's new (& costly) Unisaw, which is touted as the only MADE IN USA table saw you can buy, has imported components.

Grizzly makes some decent stuff but is kind of like Gump's proverbial "box of chocolates".. you never know what you're going to get. Kind of like Smith & Wesson, in other words.

-Gary

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

That saw is too big to be moving around to use. Do not run extention cords to run that saw. Find a spot and build a table around it for a build-in saw, run your fixed power to the saw and be done with it. Or trade it in for something more portible. Alot of portible saws on the market these days. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.