1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tabboo secret of breathing to win at Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Coyote 270, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

c.e. INTERESTING ABOUT THE BREATHING THING, BUT HARD TO CONCENTRATE WITH THAT YOUNG LADY ABOUT TO FALL OUT OF THE WINDOW THERE.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Evidence of why its a bad idea to drink and post. Put the booze away and go to bed. It is quite scary how you are engaged in a conversation with yourself.

3. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Try Phil Kiner's video, or better yet just ask Phil to post. He talks some about his martial arts-style breathing technique.

Danny

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Were you at the potfest in Colorado? lol

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There is also the issue of "blinking." And what is really bad is "breathing and blinking" at the same time. If anyone has a cure for these issues, please advise. But, then one could be "blinking, breathing and lifting the head at the same time." WOW! That would be a problem.

6. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Since somebody asked for an opinion from one of the doctors on this site,
    Here is Dr. Honk's take on this:

Breathing is very important while on the line. A twenty five target event can take upwards of 20 minutes to shoot. If you do not breath during that twenty minute time period, you will not move on to the next twenty five round event.

Any questions?

I didn't think so.

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Just yesterday I had trouble blinking. It was so cold with the wind in my face I couldn't blink enough to keep the tears from blurring my vision. Breathing isn't my problem because I shoot with my mouth open to get my gun to fit better. It doesn't have an adjustable comb.

8. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Joe, try moleskin on your stock before you end up swallowing something! Once upon a time someone asked Leo where he was "in his breathing cycle" when he pulled the trigger. He didn't have a clue. In his classes he recommends that your eyes be still, that your gun barrel be still, and to allow a heartbeat of time between completion of your pre-shot routine before calling for the bird. Nowdays that's easier for Leo, you can actually hear his new heart valve "click" when it opens/closes.

9. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Not really applicable to trap, but in the 1980's we wired up some of our elite rifle shooters at the USOC Training center and found they had trained themselves to shoot between heartbeats. Of course, any prone shooter with a tight sling, little padding and a 30X scope will see the bounce with a pulse.

I was on the doping committee for The UIT and Beta Blockers, like Propanalol, that lower heart rate were banned.

Our recent research shows that getting as much air into your system as possible is a very good thing for an endurance sport like trap. Ultimately, it controls lactate formation which is the "wall" you hit in fatique.

Phil Kiner's 4 deep breaths are a good suggestion, and I'd take a fairly deep breath and call pull while exhaling.

My credentials are only a PhD in nuclear chemistry, but I've had some good MDs worfk for me.

10. trapwife

Mr. Fool, your PhD tells me you have had an extensive education, but do you personally shoot? If so, I would be interested in visiting with you.

11. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Karla,

It's me!

Dr. Hank Cross

12. trapwife

You crazy guy.....let's talk "breathing" sometime, it might just make a good magazine article. Shame on you for "hiding" behind such an inappropriate sign on name, since when have you ever been "Doddering" or a fool for that matter, although I can't argue the slightly old description. No need to give me your shooting record, I've seen you shoot.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Ifn yu aint brthng yu isnt shootttin.

GB
    DLS

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"innovative"???

Hmmmm, not what I was thinking but it did start with an "I".

15. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Hey CE,

Yup, you have found me out. I'm not a real doctor.

I do have a 98 average in singles though. Guess I just got lucky.

Have a good season.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I tried to call Pull while inhaling, couldn't get the voice callers to work.

Sooooooo...........I think I know Da Secret.

HM

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I learned to shoot a rifle before the shotgun. I can still hear the old man:"take a deep breath and squeeze the trigger". C.E. you are going to screw up a lot of spring shooters with this thread. Bill

18. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

slayer,

I tend to agree with you. Yesterday I paid attention to my breathing and found it pulled my attention away from the target. This may be something better left alone. I've not noticed it as a problem. It seems to take care of itself.

[​IMG]

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

They taught us breathing in lifeguard school...I was doing great in that job before some little blue kid got me fired

20. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Dr. Honk,-----I hate to inform you of this but if one holds their breath for 20 minutes, after the first 10 they might start to turn blue. If that is the case it could possibly change the way the eyes see color. Therefore if the eyes turn blue too and the targets are orange? When you mix orange and blue , you might see green ---that would make said targets blend in with the background and you would probably miss anyway.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.