1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

T8 or T12 Fluorescent lights?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dale58, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Hey guys I have a dozen T12 4ft. bulbs and went looking to buy a new fixture and couldn't find one anywhere. Three Home Depots and one Lowes. They all had plenty of T8 fixtures but I wanted a T12 cause I have a surplus of bulbs. Are they not making the T12's anymore? Also which one is brighter? thanks, Dale P.S. I don't know anything about electricity.

2. no powder

no powder Member

Switch over to t8 as you soon will not be able to purchase t12 lamps. I am an industrial electrician and am currently having trouble getting t12 lamps. If you really want to stay up to date go to t5.

3. no powder

no powder Member

Also t8's are brighter but t5's are brighter yet.

4. RJG53

RJG53 TS Member

The DOE banned the production of T-12 ballasts in 2010 and banned the production of T-12 Tubes July 2012. You can get a conversion kit to change out the T-12 ballasts and tubes to T-8s. Your T-12 tubes are now a valued commodity and if you can find them any where, they are selling for $10+ vs $1.00 less than one year ago. T-8 tubes are indeed brighter and in many cases when installing a retrofit kit you may want to reduce the number of tubes in the fixture to maintain the same lumens.

5. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, guess I'll be getting a T8 fixture for the reloading area of the basement and use those T12 bulbs in the laundry room. thanks again, Dale

6. joneseboy

joneseboy Member

I'm also an industerial electrician and agree with nopower. Go T8's or better yet T5's. T5 cost more but uses half the amount of electric and much britter.
    T12 will make you elecrtic meter spin fast.

7. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Let me jump in here. Yes T12 lamps are going to get harder to find. there are two things that will be of interest to most any user. "Lumens" which is the measurable amount of light per watt. Then color. The old "F40T12CW" lamp which you have. Breaks down like this.. F means fluorescent. T12 means its 12 1/8 inch in diameter. Or 1 1/4". 40 is the wattage, or the power it consumes, CW (cool white) is the color. Today the replacement is an F32T8. All is the same except this lamp is 1" in diameter. The measurement of color has change dramatically.
    Now color is measured in "Kelvin" units. 2700K is a warm color like the old "Warm White" 3500k is the old "cool white" a cooler color or more white. 5000k is the old "day light" color. And now there is a 6500k. As you move up the spectrum (2700-6500) the color of the lamp becomes an issue depending on what you want to see of the object you illuminate. In a kitchen? you want a lower 2700-3000k color. This show reds greens yellows browns. Like meats veggies and so on. You will see the "color contrasts" As you move up to 3500k-6500k? light sources these are good for "task lighting" like reloading. A 6500k bulb will appear brighter than a 2700k. But the 6500k may cause reds and oranges to appear the same.
    We all see colors different. Experiment

Dennis

8. build4u

build4u Member

I would follow the advice on the t-5 lights. I finished my new model home garage for an office 2/3 of a three car. 14 foot ceiling 26 x 24 with four two bulb t-5 fixtures 4 feet long and they rock. A slightest hesitation before the come on then wham full blast. I also just finished a two story custom garage for a car guy. 30x30 with a 12 foot ceiling and we put 6 of the 2 bulb t-5 lights as well, you could do surgery in there. In t-8s in a three car I used to put 6 eight foot lights and they are not as bright or efficient as the t-5s.

9. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Well I bought two 4ft. T8 fixtures and daylight bulbs this morning and they work great. Set them up in my reloading area in the basement and it really looks good. Thanks again guys for all your input. Dale

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Kingbang, do I understand that the F32T8 tubes will replace the old F40T12's I have? I would hate to have to replace 8 fixtures because of bulbs not being available.

11. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

T5s do not use less energy then the T8s, but they are much brighter, therefore you may be able to get by with fewer fixtures. T8s are 32 watts, T5s are 54 watts per bulb..... I would go with the T8s, much cheaper to purchase and run. I think you made the right choice with going T8.

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Can someone qualify what is meant by the t-5's and t-8's are much brighter than the t-12's. They are also much smaller and the number of square inches of phosphor coated glass through which to generate visible light is much smaller.

So are they "much brighter" but equal the light output of a t-12 or are they 'much brighter" and exceed the light output of a t-12.

How do they achieve the greater output? I'm thinking maybe higher frequency so the peak of the voltage wave form is hitting the phosphors more often?

13. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

On average I would say the lumen output is higher in T8s and even higher in a T5, how this is achieved im not 100% certain. Ive also often wondered how they change the color of the bulb. The difference from a F32T8SP41 to say a F32T8850 is very noticeable. Im no engineer, I install the stuff but much of workings of the bulb itself is over my head.

14. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

4 ft linear fluorescent bulbs

Light output (lumens)

28 watt T5 2,900
    54 watt T5 5,000
    25 watt T8 2,209
    32 watt T8 2,850–3,100
    34 watt T12 1,930–2,800
    40 watt T12 1,980–3,300[13]

Found this online...

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I would assume they change the color by changing the makeup of the phosphors. Maybe there's more to it than that.

16. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

will a t-8 bulb light up in a fixture that was made for T12 bulbs?

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Leo I think it will light up but it will also burn out quickly if it is driven by a ballast designed for t12 lamps. Ballasts are called that, because they ballast, or load down, the current to a level that allows the lamp to light but then reduces it for operation. Each lamp size has it's own ballasting requirements and a t12 I'm guessing requires a lot more current than a t8 or t5.

The sockets for t8 are identical to t12. Not sure about t5.

18. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

T5 bulbs have a more narrow pin spacing then the T8 and T12 bulbs.

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

OK thanks for the bulb information. I bought the last two T12's my hardware store had yesterday. It looks like I will need to figure on changing out all the fixtures in the near future. Like everything else the gov touches, LOTS of expense in one area to get a tiny bit of benefit in another.

20. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Just came back from Home Depot. I bought a 10 pack of T12s for $20. They had cases of T12s in stock. If I get another case or two they will last the rest of my life and a lot cheaper than replacing my fixtures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are t8 lights brighter than t12
forum t5 vs t8 fluorescent lights
is t 8 lighting brighter than t 12
light brighter than an 8 foot fluorescent
reloading and florecent lights

which bulb is brighter t8 t12

which bulbs are brighter t8 or t12
which is brighter t8 or t12