1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SxS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Which companies still manufacture SxS shotguns that won't break the bank? I'm looking for something like Browning Citori type quality.

Don't tell me Stoeger.

2. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Rich, I am no expert on SxS shotguns. BUT in my price range, the Beretta Silver Hawk or Smith & Wesson Gold Pidgeon may be a good place to start. Also, check out the used guns at the Orvis website. These suggestions are starting point that you ,ay find interesting. I am no expert!

3. algebra1

algebra1 Member

SKB are quality sxs for the money.Also check out BSA Classic.The Classic comes with screw in chokes.The SKBs are built like tanks.

4. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

old school quality,you need to look at husqvarna sxs,or any late belgian peices.
    also browning,early spanish union armera,aya,gdr german mod 8.
    thank me later.
    WC

5. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

btw,most aint made anymores..

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Beretta 471 Silverhawk

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Find an old Ansley H fox or a good parker or L.C Smith----If there in V-Good ahape you won't wear them out in your lifetime and have both beauty and quality that will be 2nd to none----I'v had them all and still love the feel.
    2 gs will buy them----If your young they will only go up in value---JMO---SJB

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

SKB made real nice side-by-sides. Regret selling my Model 100 20 gauge. I would say they are comparable to a Citori quality wise, and they won't break the bank either. Really decent triggers for the price as well.

One thing to watch out, at least w/ the 100s, is they had a funky inlet, and are susceptible to stock cracking because of it. Mine was cracked and repaired before I got it, and I've seen others that cracked in the same area.

9. skeezix

skeezix Member

The pre-cursor to the Beretta 470/471 was the 626. Last time I looked they were available for reasonable money. Similar build quality to a 686.

10. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Ive got a 30in Browning BSS for $1500 that will last you a lifetime. Jw

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Lots of good used guns out there. Decide the budget first.

Buy it if it fits you; many have so much drop at comb that you're lucky to see the receiver !

European guns are usually correct in stocks. Gambas are very high quality as are earlier Berettas, Bernardellis. US made UTICA foxes have modern stocks (not necessarily Phillies). I found Sauers are good quality but low stocks.

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Rich, Take Brdslayr's advice if your going to do more than just hunt with it. That Bss is as durable as a Citori. Bill

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bill's correct. Put choke tubes in that BSS and you've got an all around gun.

14. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

BSS and SKB are made by Miroko and are excellent same gun some internal differences. BIG JUMP IN PRICE A FEW YEARS AGO as cowboy action shooters started switching to SKB price went from $800 to $1500.
    Fox, inexpensive not for competition.
    Orvis is Beretta. Fine gun.
    All sxs of fine quality are expensive.
    New company with superb sxs's is Connecticut shotgun very pricy.
    Charles Daly, imports shotguns from Turkey, are strong STEEL, that word is important.
    Wish you luck Lee

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Find a Charles Daly SXS with a single trigger extractor gun made in Italy it is a Beretta G3 as I remember pure Beretta with C D name on it. Half the price of the same gun with Beretta name on it. Charles Daly never made a gun to my knowledge just had there name put on my many different companies over the years. I had a Prussian Daly made in Germany in the 60's it was as fine a gun as I ever owned.

16. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

You might want to look at the Connecticut Valley side by sides. They are very good quality. Options include selection of: fixed or variable choke, beavertail or slim forearm, pistol grip or straight stock. Most have very nice "base" wood and many were ordered with upgraded wood. They are case colored, have a selective trigger, and come with a nice custom case.

If you're interested, I have a very nice 28 ga. w/fixed chokes.

Regards,

Amboy49

17. johnboy

johnboy Member

I have been told good things about CZs but no first hand experience.

18. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I had a CZ O/U, you can do much better with most all of the guns above.
    Gary

19. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I have been looking for a side x side myself with out breaking the bank.
    I assume 12 Ga. That Browning would be a good choice.
    English Stock ?, Pistol Grip Stock ?, Forearm Style, Choke tubes or Not ?,
    Barrel Length,Single trigger,Side Plates or Not . I have been talking to Barbara Fausti & her husband about building me a gun. Lots of choices.
    I asked on here about Fausti Shotguns. The Fausti's are very nice people.Very obliging and know there guns !!

Joe Woods/Ontario

20. seitz647

seitz647 Member

The real question is how much do you want to spend? and what are you going to use the gun for, gauge, chokes and length of barrels?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bss durability
connecticut shotgun rbl launch vs browning bss
cz ring neck vs csmc rbl
jmo sxs

most durable sxs shotgun

sxs galfand
sxs trap gun