1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SxS Trapgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Trapshoot with a side-by-side? Why not??

ATA registered season is over until next spring up here in northeast Montana, still shooting a little at the club for practice and comradarie, shooting a little lately with my Beretta 471 Silverhawk SxS 12 guage field gun. Seem to do pretty well with it, thinking........hmmm, give it a higher adjustable soft level comb, adjustable buttpad with a kick-eez, 32" barrels, another pound or so of weight, ..........why don't you see a few side-by-sides out on the serious trap fields?

John C. Saubak

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I knew a guy that had a pristine Winchester Model 21 Trap gun choked Full and Full.

3. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

My guess would be that the unsingle version would look really weird...

Greg

4. esetter

esetter Active Member

I have two model 21's in trap configuration with original vent ribs. Be glad to sell you one of those.

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a stevens sxs in 16 gauge that was like my good right arm when I was growing up. It's still in the safe. I'll bet I could still crush a few with it. Hmmmm.. Bill Wheeler

6. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

On Sunday practice at our local range...

I shoot a lot of side-by-side guns for Trap.

Including a Winchester Model 21 choked Full & Extra-Full with ventilated-rib 32-inch barrels and a Monte Carlo stock.

Shoot a couple of dozen other American and European side-by-sides -- many of them 16 gauge.

My average with side-by-sides is lower than my average with SBT and over/under shotguns. But if I dropped the others and really worked with the SxS shotguns could probably make up the difference. The SxS shotguns are flatter shooting than most of my other guns.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I have an AYA Matador, circa 1953, Full @ Fuller (.042, .044) that's a lot of fun for doubles lol....

8. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I have a 30" AyA (Aguirre & Aranzabal) sidelock SxS pigeon gun from 1960 that absolutely obliterates targets. Now, I need to use a hand guard because it has a splinter forend - but it's stocked (from the factory) exactly like a trap gun and fits exactly like a trap gun. And, unlike most other SxS guns, the recoil doesn't seem any more pronounced than that of O/U's. It's just lots of fun to shoot. In fact, now that I think about it, I think I'll shoot it this Friday - with 7/8-ounce loads.

Cheers!

-John Wolfington

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

John:

I think you answered that question in your post - "serious" trap fields... practice yes... when it comes down to trophies and money - the superposed barrels and single sighting plane are the ticket...

What about a SxS ONLY event?!

W21 in Grand American form is a beauty!

best regards,

Jay

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sxs events....intriguing...you think the BD's will dominate that too?

11. ajhiii07

ajhiii07 Member

I have an AYA matador with 32"barrels full and fuller,I have shot registered with it and done quite well (96) it got me lots of stares,the people I shot with thought I was nuts but I beat 3 of them.

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Have a Parker, Ithaca, Lc Smith and a Fox sxs in trap configuration. Like to shoot the Ithaca the best so far. I will post some pictures if I get around to it. Bill Rike and I both shot ata event at Mason two summers ago. Regards, Bill

13. pdq

pdq Member

I've shot singles, caps and doubles trap with my 1889 P grage Parker Brothers, loaded with 2 1/2" low pressure shells from RST. Both Twist barrels choked at .040.

Lots of fun smoking targets with a 120 year old gun. Double triggers take some getting used to however.

Pete

14. wm rike

wm rike Member

I don't know if it was Bill Grill's concious decision to shoot his doubles event with his Ithaca or not. In my case, not.

We were messing around on the practice trap and not paying attention to the time. They called shooters to the line for the doubles event and I was on the first flight. I didn't have time to go back and get my o/u. Fortunately, I had with me enough ammo for the event so I just took my M21 to the line and broke my average.

Funny epilogue. Earlier in the day, after a singles or handicap event, some guy came up to me and commented on my Ithaca 5E single and kindly said something about me being a throwback. I turned around after the doubles event and there he was again. He had his wife in tow and told her, "There's that guy!" He then explained that he had told his wife about the old guy shooting the old Ithaca, and further told her that he probably shoots a M21 for doubles, and surely enough, there I was with that ratty-ass old double.

15. BILL GRILL

First of all I shoot doubles badly! So shooting a sxs is not a handi-cap for me. Yes I did shoot the event on purpose with my 5e sxs. Also Mr. Rike's model 21 is no ratty-ass old double. Any of you guys that know him know better:).

Pdq you and I need to shoot together sometime. I have a L.C. hammer with twist steel barrels that I shoot sporting with once in awhile. Regards, Bill

16. vatrap

vatrap Member

<a href="http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j265/mjeter_2006/?action=view&current=Stevens5000.jpg" target="_blank"> Stevens5000.jpg </a>

I shoot this one at the side x side vintage sporting clays events, and a couple of rounds of trap at the club to practice before I go to one of the shoots. Still looking for an Iver Johnson Super Trap, shot one and should have bought it when I had the chance. Bill has the best looking one that I have seen.

Mike

17. BILL GRILL

Mike, I can't even post a picture of it as it is out for a full restoration by a American Gun Makers Guild member. I am anxios to get it back. Apparently you are a frind of Lou's? Bill

18. vatrap

vatrap Member

Bill,
    I don't know Lou, but there are so few of the Super Traps around that pictures get passed around the internet, I think the pictures I saw of yours were before it was sent out.

With all the extra fields at the Grand, a side by side event would be a real draw. The Spring Classic at Deep River this year was well attended, so the guns are out there and people are willing to shoot them.

Mike

19. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I've shot a few 25's with Big Ann but when I need to break em all I reach for my SBT. I shoot 60/40 guns for ATA so the SxS is no handicap in that regard. I built the 32" Fox for sporting clays and after 40K rounds I wouldn't hesitate to use it instead of the 32" O/U I shot for 10 years. Funny thing is, I actually shoot international trap better with Big Ann than any other gun I've ever tried.

AnnaNicole2.jpg

20. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

boxbirder_2011_02042.jpg

My main pigeon gun 1972 Model 21, I purchased it never fired, 1 set FxF the other MxF. I have a several others and to me a 21 is Da Bomb. Along with Parker trap guns I love em. To me nothing compares to a single trigger, beaver tail forened, topped with a Vent Rib.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sxs trap gun