1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SxS opinions, experience, etc.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I am shopping for a 12ga SxS for hunting, sporting, and just plain shooting fun. Any advice on Win 21s, Win 23s, Beretta 471s, etc...anything to look for or be wary of? Thanks WC

2. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Winchesters seems to point well.

Love my Winchester 21.

Good shooting,

Dave

3. pdq

pdq Member

I have a P grade Parker Brothers made in 1889 that I'll hopefully be selling soon, not a lot of money. Great fun with low pressure shells.

Pete

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

For the past two years, I have attended a vintage SxS shoot at a local sporting clays club and plan to write an article about the event. I saw some gorgeous old guns - some photos of them are below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know much about them but I do enjoy looking at them!

Ed

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I really like my Bernardelli hammerguns.. They use modern shells.. double trigger.. Lightning fast..

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

dolphin, They're all good guns. Of the 3 you named, the Mod 21's normally have heavy triggers and kick like a mule unless you can adjust the stock to your liking. They normally shoot flatter than they look. Giacomo did a trigger job on mine and re-blued it after Bill Mains did some engraving. The 23's are OK, but the stocks come loose on them when the tang screw reams out the wood. They are kickers too. The 471's are a good gun, but a 28 " barrel is longest you can get, but you can get choke tubes. My 20 gauge 471 is my go to grouse and pheasant gun. For the money, the Ugartechea is a decent buy, but they are light too. As PBB mentioned, the Bernardelli's are sweet hammer gun. Switch to 1oz shells for help in the recoil and have fun.
    [​IMG]

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Just gave my father-in-law's old Hunter Arms "Fulton" to son #2. Probably 95% shape, perfect bores and a ton of drop. Pap enjoyed hunting pheasant with it and broke 20 on his only trip to the trap club.

I suggest looking at some offshore stuff like AYA which over the years has made some fine doubles. I have a 20, mod/full, with single nonsst and se which I use in our dove field with cheap promo shells to get some nice ic/mod patterns. Also have an old Stevens 5100 choked open and opener with double triggers that shoots well on bunnies and quail. An AYA 410 that we ordered through Harden and Knight in the late sixties is also a fun gun.

I'd rather shoot a double than a stacker but seem firmly stuck to my old TB.

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

Some folks like guns that shoot well, others like guns look good and are in 98+% condition, and some folks just like stuff that goes "bang!" Figue where you fit in.

All three that you mention are solid, reliable guns. I have variants of each. Most of the 21s out there are less than 95%; if you need better condition, bring money. Despite what they look like on the outside, the bores and working surfaces are excellent. The 23s are tight and well finished guns. The ones I have handled have high stocks - traphsooters should love them, but I would be less inclined to use one in the field or for skeet. Pick up a couple and see what you think. Most are what I would consider "boutique" guns that don't see much hard usage. The Beretta has bags of utility and is probably the best configured out of the box for the kinds of games doubles play. Choke tubes aren't a problem. New, they might be just a tad overpriced in todays market, but if you cruise Etchens' you might find one with wood that seals the deal. Used, they're a best buy.

9. mrd

mrd Member

If you want to spend the money, the model 21 is a great gun, but expensive. If you want a really good S X S to hunt with, look for a good used Browning BSS. They are high quality guns for the money and point very well. I have hunted with one for years. Only drawback for some are 26" barrels. Briley choked mine years ago and it is my go to hunting gun for everything.

10. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

A M21 Winchester is the top of the class. It can't be compared to anything but another M21. There has never been a tougher SXS. Larry

11. Setterman

Larry, I would say you are right, but you may have to add a comb pad or put new wood on it to make it shoot where you look.

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I've got a virtually new (less than 100 shells through it) Winchester Model 23 Pigeon grade 20 gauge, improved and mod that's for sale....

Jeff

13. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Go for an Ithaca NID

Classic, strong, American made, not too much money if you stay with the field guns.

14. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

Dolphin - As an initial foray into the SxS arena you may find that your consideration of a Model 21, Model 23 or Beretta 471 is inviting a bit more expense than necessary. All are nice guns but you could find an SKB Model 100 or Model 200 on the used market that will give you all of the utility that you need in an attractive, functional and relatively inexpensive package. If you are inclined toward a more traditional double trigger,straight hand, splinter fore-end kind of gun, I would agree with an earlier comment that the Spanish Ugartechea would be a great value to explore.

15. cementman

cementman Member

Putting this tread up looking for opinions specific to the Beretta Silverhawk, 471 model.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I own a Beretta 624 and 625 12 and 20 gauge.. The guns shoot fantastic.. and have been flawless.. The 471 was just an upgraded wersion to part the buyer with more money..

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Setterman- that is an awesome (although modified) model 21- you should post more pictures of that- wood and engraving

I would be proud to own something like that

I own some LC smiths and over the years I have enjoyed shooting side by sides more -- the LCs can be a great value for the money

I also own a new weatherby 20 gauge- and it is a very nice gun with a classic look- best value for the money I think now

I have a standard grade LC smith with 26 inch barrels I would sell- very good shooting condition- checkered stock- cyl barrels-- great bird gun and fun to shoot at skeet

regards from Iowa

Gene

18. Setterman

Gene, I shoot SXS sporting events with it, and once in a while doves. It has Briley choke tubes. Moe flexible that way. I'll post some good pics some time.
    I refuse to say what $ I got into it.

Thanks for the compliments.

19. Setterman

Although I like the 471, the AYA's feel better and the 2 I have, (410 #453 and 28 #2 round frame)they both have a higher POI than the Beretta 471, and feel a little "livelier" than the 471

20. 527varmint

527varmint Member

I tried a sxs for a while and just couldn't get used to it. I'm sticking with repeaters but they sure are pretty!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sxs pap

sxsboy