1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SXS for Trap ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hobdayk, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobdayk

hobdayk TS Member

LOng time reader first time poster,

wanted to say first off I love reading this forum as it has answered allot of questions over the years,

but have a question , as I have matured in the shooting sports I find myself drawn to shooting SXS shotguns and get great pleasure from it, I have migrated from a straight trap shooter to a skeet shooter to sporting clays shooter, I currently shoot a nice browning BSS non selective IC/LM choked gun for most of my shooting , but would like to upgrade or change guns to a sxs that could pull duty accross all disiplines, I have several that work well on the skeet range , and SC fields but lack on the trap range,

Are there any SXS shooters that are "contenders" or "command respect" if you will, using a sxs or is it a give me to just go back to shooting my old lefever trap gun for trap and leave the sxs for the other events?

If there is a sxs shooter what kind of sxs is he using ?

Thanks

2. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have a friend that shoots a SxS at club shoots and does quite well with it!

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What's your price range?

4. hobdayk

hobdayk TS Member

Big M

guess that depends what someone is trying to sell I have been looking but trying to stay around the 2K mark,

Like I said before I have a few SXS's but was looking for something to be competitive with on the trap field, and could handle the constant use a trap gun has to endure.

5. EEB

EEB Member

Look at CSMC RBL they sell set up for clay games, but it wil cost more than 2k. Around 4k more likely.

6. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

First, I am not a good trap shooter, just someone who enjoys it.

A while back for about three years I shot trap mostly using a wide range of side-by-sides ranging from Winchester Model 21, Parkers, L C Smiths, Lefevers, Berettas, Westley-Richards, W W Greeners, RBL, etc.

At that time I was shooting 22 - 24 routinely from the 16 yard line with Single-Shots (SBT) or Over/Unders and my scores dropped to 16 - 20 with the SxS's.

Nowadays after attending some training clinics and settling on shooting mostly SBT and O/U guns, I routinely get some 25 Straights and a lot of 23 - 24 and fewer 22's.

And now I have shot one 25 Straight with a SxS and several 22 - 24 with SxS's.

Figure if I were to focus solely on SxS shotguns again I would still lose one or two more targets on the average than with the O/U or SBT.

Of the side-by-sides, had my best shooting with a factory trap model Winchester Model 21 with 32-inch ventilated-rib barrels choked Full and Extra-Full and with a Monte Carlo stock. Was told by Winchester collectors that this gun was most likely built to be a live pigeon gun.

For the what it's worth department, my new RBL had to be sent back to the factory multiple times just to get it to go "bang".

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

They shoot too flat, and an adjustable comb ruins the looks and resale.

8. hobdayk

hobdayk TS Member

Thanks for the comments

I also am just a AA shooter with a trap gun ,I loose a few more with my SXS when I use it or get talked into shooting trap and all I have is my sxs

so I see the comment that a SXS shoots flat ?

so I have an american arms sxs hammer gun circa early 1900's , marked trap on the rib , 30 inch barrels, I have never shot it but would this possibly shoot higher for the rising birds ?

I have seen quite a few of the RBL's being sent back because of issues, I think I would save my money before buying one of those,

so is it possible to be competetitive with a sxs ?

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Not impossible, probably not competitively. I know, I know...."they used to shoot them in the old days".

Unless everyone shoots one, you'll have a disadvantage.

Lighter, so they kick. LOP probably shorter unless you have custom wood, shoot flat, wider sight plane.Did I mention they kick?

But you'll look cool. Go get'em.

10. hobdayk

hobdayk TS Member

LOL

hey as long as I look cool ! thats all that matters !

Thanks

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

How 'bout them guys that swear by their Browning "Broadway", compared to that a side-by-side is like drivin' down an Interstate Hiway........

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I used to own and shoot a Winchester model 24 with 30 inch barrels, full/mod. After I added weight and padding taped over the comb, I won several trap events and some money with that SXS. With a raised comb, it's kinda like shooting a Browning Broadway. It will teach you to keep the barrels outa your eyes way of seeing a target ASAP too! I ain't tellin you what I used for comb padding either since keeping your head buried on the comb is SO important!!:)

Hap

13. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

There is no reason you can't be as competitive with a SxS as you can be with a pump gun, an autolaoder, an O/U or a SBT....provided you can build it for you and you alone. There is nothing inherent in a SxS that would make it any more....or less....competitive than any other design. But you won't find many (any) "set up" for trap the way most trap shooters prefer. Especially if you're already a "competitive" trap shooter.

I built a SxS for registered sporting clays competition when I was still a very competitive AA shooter. I had the advantage of being an advanced hobbyist stockmaker with 15 years of experience and knowledge of gun fit. It finished up as an 8lb, 32" barreled (uncommon) gun that shoots 60/40 as I like it for clays. I don't shoot registered clays anymore but I feel I'm still a contender for HOA in a registered tournament. I shoot it as well as I ever shot my Beretta O/U's. No reason it couldn't have wound up at 9lb with a monte carlo and shooting 90/10 for trap if I had desired. With a $5K budget you could have one.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hoby, the reason I asked was to get an idea of what kind of answer you wanted.

I occasionally use a $600 AYA Matador from the '50's. 32" BBL, F&F.

But, I know of a Winchester model 21 trapgun available for $8000. Hell of a deal.

15. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Kick like a mule, that's odd I have shot 21's and Parker's for pigeons many years now. It's really all how there set up, but you have a real competitive SxS right now the BSS is a very underrated gun. If I hade a 2k budget I would look for a 30" selective trigger gun. You should find one for about 1500 then send it out for a backbore and thin wall chokes.
    When you get it back take the stock off, pull out the safety and below it is a guide rod, turn it around and put it back in with the safety. Now you have a mechanical trigger and non auto safety. Remove that big honking brass bead for a mid bead, build up the comb and you have one unreal SxS.

16. vatrap

vatrap Member

If you can find one for a gun you already own, Fajen made some Monte carlo stocks at one time.
    I don't shoot it as well as my usual trapgun, but it is effective if you practice with it.

Mike

17. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

There is a reason most large Sporting Clays tournaments have a separate class (and event) for side-by-side shooters...they are normally more difficult to shoot at a competitive level than semi-autos and O/U's.

I have always liked SXS's, but I have to be realistic...my scores will take a dip for sure. If you are ok with that, and are shooting for other reasons than score (and there are many reasons to shoot clays other than score), then by all means, go for it.

I have had the opportunity to fire several Wincehster 21's at trap, both 16 yard and handicap events. The guns I used had either factory (rare) or add-on vent ribs, which seemed to really reduce the distraction of the twin tubes. I didn't shoot them enough to determine how I would shoot compared to my SBT, but I think I would shoot my SBT better.

Another issue is durability. The vast majority of SXS's were and are built as field guns, not competition shotguns. Yes, I know,there are those who shoot their SXS hard and have "never had one fail". OK.

But I suspect you will find your maintenance requirements to be higher than with purpose-built competition O/U's, SBT's, or Semi's.

I have probably stated nothing here that you didn't already know...

bluedsteel

18. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

It's not the arrow it's the Indian ! If you want to be competitive with a SxS
    ther are guns out there to do it with. But your going to spend alot more money than 2grand. You can do anything with a SxS that you can with a O/U as far as set up. Between custom wood and custom add on ribs there is nothing holding you back other than lack of money. jmho, Bill

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=SxS.jpg" target="_blank"> SxS.jpg </a>

Saeed Al Maktoum at the 2010 ISSF World Cup, Italy. Anyone ID the maker?

19. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I shoot my Model 21 Win with a straight stock and F&F in 30" barrels. It is designated as a Trap Model. I have no problem being in the low 90's with it and I feel that I could do just as well with it as I do with my unsingle if I would shoot it on a regular basis. I have used it in several tournaments and had a 93 and 94 with it.

You do get some "attaboy" comments when you use one. It's somewhat similar to the reaction someone gets when driving a MG-TD.

20. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Boxbirder has very good advice above. Even without your budget constraints those Browning's are shooting machines. I think they are hard to find in 30" though? Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best sxs for clay shooting

best sxs for trap

drkwn sxs

sxs for trap

sxs froun froun

sxs shotguns nest to own for trap clays

sxs sporting clay shoots

sxs trapguns