1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SXS for Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bighoss40, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bighoss40

bighoss40 TS Member

Does anyone out there use side by sides for trap. Some of the old school manufacturers like LC Smith made doubles for trap (Winchester 21 too). Are there any new sxs guns on the market set up for trap.

2. EEB

EEB Member

CSMC made an RBL with an adjustable comb for sporting clays that I'm sure would work for trap. Check their website.

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Am just a local Sunday afternoon trap shooter...

I really enjoy shooting my side-by-sides on the trap range.

Use a Winchester Model 21 with 32-inch full and extra-full barrels and a Monte Carlo stock the most...

But also use my Parker, L C Smith, Lefever, Beretta, RBL, Ruger Gold Label, etc.

Lot of fun.

While I have shot 25 Straight with my side-by-sides, my average score is lower than with my conventional trap guns.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

An old SKB model 100 is my ZZ bird gun..along with a V. Bernardelli hammergun..Yep.. the old SXS can still do their thing.. And Fun too..

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

BigHoss, CSMC wants around 7000.00 for their sporting sxs it has a higher rib and adjustable comb. You can pick up a older Ithaca, Smith, Parker, or whatever and install a adjustable comb and add on rib and save yourself a bunch. Bill

6. pdq

pdq Member

I tried shooting doubles with my 1889 P Grade Parker Brothers. I did horribly -- I couldn't get used to going to the second trigger in time. Did ok on singles.

Pete

7. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

What's your goal?

I shoot trap (and all the clay games) with most of my guns...whether SBT, SxS, O/U or auto...whether 20,16 or 12ga. When I get as serious as I ever do about competition, which doesn't include any registered targets, I use my 32", 12ga SxS. So happens I've shot my best bunker scores with it. Short of trying to reach the 27 yd line in ATA, there's no good reason not to shoot a SxS if you can find or build one that fits.

8. bighoss40

bighoss40 TS Member

I just prefer the look and feel of SxS guns. I have been eyeing a SKB485 that does have a raised vent rib and chokes all the way up to full and xtrafull but the barrel is only 28 inches. Not sure if that is too short for trap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.