1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SXS disc. cont. AyA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerseyshooter, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I was enjoying the SxS thread going on and thought I might pick one up to have some fun with in 12g using 7/8 shells for low recoil. As I browsed around I came across the AyA brand. I know they are Spanish but am confused about the quality. Some of them are going for thousands....others are going for less than 400 bucks! I noticed 2 vendors on gunsamerica (500 Guns out of Indiana and Blackbern LLC out of Virginia) with these very low cost Aya's. They aren't new but don't look abused. Can somebody explain the price differential and whether these older guns would be a decent value for some low volume, low pressure skeet shooting? thanks RICH

2. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Jereyshooter, good question-I hope you get additional input from others. I have an AYA Iberia II 12 guage, dbl trigger chocked IC and Mod that I bought through J&G wholesale in the late 70's. Nice for an occasional field foray just for fun and would work on skeet just for fun occasionally as well.

Gave under $200. for the gun and would probably bring $500. now. This period AYA and others have nice case colors, detailed but light engraving including screws and pretty descent walnut but many have lousy opaque type finishes that would make you think the wood was junk. Many fine spanish made doubles are around and period made plus engraving and other features drives collector prices through the roof.

IMHO any AYA in excellent shape, regardless of model or guage would get my $400. Especially older guns (70's and earlier).

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I have two, one a .410 custom ordered for a guy back in the late sixties and which cost about $300 then through Hardin and Knight. It is a boxlock, full sized, choked f&m, sst, se, nice walnut, bt. We checked to see what another would be in 1982 and were told around 1200.

My other one is one AYA made for Sears, a 20, boxlock, bt, non st, se, full and mod. It was branded JCHiggins model 100.

AYA made a pile of guns labeled Matador which, while solid, were nothing special. I had one of them in 10 mag back in the sixties. Lots of them around and they sold for 189.

The make "trade" guns and they make top quality guns almost the equal of the finest English and Italian ones. None of them are junk. I use the Higgins for doves on my property with cheap promo shells which open the chokes up just fine.

4. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Good info above I bought a 16 ga. Matador AYA and i did a lot of research on them , Bottom line is, AYA don't make a Bad gun, they start with the Matador which is considered a Good SXS for the Money and Go Up from there, I paid 200 for Mine and after refinishing it I would't sell it for less than $500 It is a very well built gun with a reciever and barrel lugs simular to a TC. Encore or a Lujtic ( A lot of Metal where it counts ) It is still very tight and hard to open and close

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aya iberia gnomes

aya iberia shotguns