1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SX1

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Stickdp, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

picked up the sx1 that i had on layaway.nice gun (heavy)I will prob. have the barrel opened up to a mod. choke and have the forcing cones done since I mostly shoot sporting and skeet.

what is the trick to geting the bolt assm. out.

Is there enought wood in the stock for an ajustable comb - sx1 trap (non monte carlo)style

Ser # M9652 anybody know what year this is

2. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

picked up the sx1 that i had on layaway.nice gun (heavy)I will prob. have the barrel opened up to a mod. choke and have the forcing cones done since I mostly shoot sporting and skeet.

what is the trick to geting the bolt assm. out.

Is there enought wood in the stock for an ajustable comb - sx1 trap (non monte carlo)style

Ser # M9652 anybody know what year this is

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

yes there is enough wood and as far as the year goes, they do not have a year chart like they do for other models. I suspect it was in the first couple of years of production if the serial number is less then 10,000 or so.

One thing you will need to do is replace the hammer spring with a new style spring. You have the old style which is a spring within a spring. They will bind once in a while causing a goofy trigger pull. This was fixed in later models.

The bolt is easy. Remove the trigger by pushing out the trigger pin that holds the trigger group in. There is only one pin on a Sx-1. I will assume that the forend, barrel and gas system have already been removed.

Press the bolt follower back into the return spring housing with a screw driver. At this point you will see a little groove in the center that looks like it is made to have the link slide right through it when it is depressed.

Pop the link upward through the little groove and pull the whole bolt assembly toward the return spring end of the gun and it will come right out when it finds a couple of grooves in the reciever that were made for just such an occassion!

I suggest you take off the buttstock and replace the retrn spring, and the bolt buffer. If the gun has been shot much and never taken apart the bolt buffer may fall out in chunks when you remove the trigger. Black chunks of plastic that have become brittle with age.

You can buy a kit that has a new spring, bolt buffer, and follower from Brownells. They get them from Wrights. I have an extra set I will sell you if you have trouble finding a set.

The buffer needs done weather it is intact or not. It will only last a few shots if it is the original buffer. On many guns of that age the buffer will no longer be there at all! Guys drop the trigger and the chunks fall out and they have no idea where they came from and just put the gun back togather and keep shooting it.

It just hammers the back of the bolt. I have seen bolts that were rounded off from wacking the back of the reciever and hitting the indentation where the buffer goes.

These simple things will ensure you many years of trouble free shooting to come and the whle shooting match of hammer spring, return spring, bolt buffer , and follower won't cost you more then 60 bucks or so. Jeff

4. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Take out the trigger, disengage the connecting link from the action spring follower and slide the bolt to the rear and lift it out of the receiver. Plenty of room to do the comb; I do them all the time. The guns were built from 1974 til 1981. Yours is an early gun. DO NOT SHOOT IT WITHOUT REPLACING THE BUFFER IN THE REAR OF THE RECEIVER FIRST!!!!!

Ken Rucker

5. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

I already took the trigger out to look at the buffer I suspect that its been replaced as it looks in good shape but I will keep an eye on it. it has the series 1 trigger so i suspect it is a 77ish gun. I already shot it to make sure it worked alright . it shoots low-- needs a higher comb for my thin face.

first impression-- I like it

feels like it weighs about 9 lbs

operation with my 1 oz reloads-- great

6. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

thanks for the info .I will get a spring -buffer kit.

I took the bolt out and checked the buffer - its still ok afer shooting a few times

ajustable comb some parts and more a
    open choke --clay birds will be in trouble.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The buffer will look perfect until the moment it blows up. This is not the spot to save money.

8. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

Ajh thanks thats good stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.