1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SX1 shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Stickdp, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

I found a SX1 trap on the used gun rack while working out of town this week.It seemed like a good deal so I put it on layaway. I have not owned a SX1 (have 3 beretta autos).(1) The gas system seems to be much like an 1100 ? (2)steel reciver ?.(3)Are they as reliable as the 390-303 berettas . (4) will they shoot light loads 7/8 oz- 1 oz.

Please fill free to post pic. of your SX1's

2. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

You're gonna love it!

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Very reliable, and easy to clean. The older ones had carbon steel magazine and gas tubes, take the forend off and make sure the barrel lug isn't rusted solid to the mag tube. This is very important: change the bolt buffer. I would buy a Wrights buffer.

The only time mine wouldn't cycle 1 0z. loads was when I put a new Wrights recoil spring in it. They told me the spring was much stronger than the stock spring, and cut an inch off the new one. Cycles one ounce loads fine. The only problem with the SX-1.....You'll want another one. Click the link above for a good article.

Wayne

[​IMG]

4. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

wayneo -thanks thats a good read I printed it out.

5. chikeneyes

chikeneyes TS Member

I own one and although I hate to admitt it at one time I shot somewhere around 10,000 rounds through it I thought I should clean it because I was going to the Grand Could not figure why the barrel was so hard to get off and after much thought I know what a dumb a-- I was but truth is they work kind of like the energy bunny good luck have fun

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The gas systems are nothing at all like a remington 1100. This is why they are so reliable and also why they kick a little harder then an 1100. Jeff

7. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I bought a super x-1 15yrs ago and still have it. It had a trap barrel on. I also bought another barrel and had it shortened to 26" and has screw ins put in. I've shot skeet alot years ago the started using it on sporting clays reguarly. I shoot it on trap once in a while. My cousin borrows it to shoot skeet and bird hunt. Its one hell-of-a-gun. Still going strong and I havn't replace anything on it except a couple of O rings. Bill

8. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

Waneo: Thanks for finding and posting my old article on the SX-1! I wrote it several years ago for Clayshooting USA, and still regularly compete with one myself, shooting sporting Clays and FITASC. I do repairs, sales, service, and restoration on SX-1's here at my shop.

For those interested, I have been a professional gunsmith for about 33 years now and own my own shop in Miami Florida. Besides writing for CSUSA for about 10 years, I have been a avid competitor (using an SX-1) at the World level, and was a member of Team USA for 9 years, and am still on the All American team as a Super Veteran.

I offer complete gunsmithing services including repair, bluing, customization, and restoration on most quality firearms and specialize in shotguns including Krieghoff, Perazzi, Browning, Rizzini, Winchester ( M-12, 97, 101, 88- 100, etc) and also do stockmaking, checkering, and match grade 1911 style pistols.

I can be reached at:
    stevefischer2@bellsouth.net

or my shop:

Steve Fischer Gunsmithing
    4235 sw 75 Ave.
    Miami, Fl. 33155

305-261-1820

9. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.