1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SX1 problem-need help!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hwcn, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hwcn

hwcn Member

I am having a problem with my SX1. The bolt is staying back and not cycling the second shell. Let me also confess that the problem is likely to have been self induced.

What I did!

I ordered a new HD recoil spring for my SX1. It did not cycle the gun, so after consulting a SX1 expert, it was suggested I open the ports. Gun worked great and cycled fine for many rounds. Then the bolt follower broke, I replaced it. Later the bolt broke, I replaced it. Then the second bolt follower broke, and I replaced it with a HD follower from Bob Baumgart. Please note that the follower and bolt failures could have been from normal wear and tear for the gun was well used when I got it and the parts were scavanged off a very old and beaten up SX1, with the obvious exception of the newest follower purchased from Bob Baumgart.

All was well and good, then the gun would not cycle the second shell. I replaced the recoil spring with another identical new HD spring. The old spring had compressed about three inches, but probably had at leat 10,000 rounds through it and maybe as high as 25,000 rounds (maybe even more). The new spring solved the problem only briefly, about 2,000 rounds, and the gun is now not cycling the second round. I checked the bolt buffer and it is intact.

I have a second barrel which does not have the ports opened and I believe it will work, but it is full choke, which is a little tight for skeet and sporting clays.

I think that there is something else wrong, but I can not pinpoint it. I will be using my untouched barrel from now on, but I am concerned that the gun has failed to cycle so soon after a fresh spring.

Any constructive thoughts will be appreciated on what might be wrong. I do not require being reprimanded for touching the ports because a mal-functioning gun and the expense of repairing it has been more than adequate.

Thanks!

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Don't ever open the ports of a super x, it will never need that. Are you saying that the bolt itself broke? I have never seen that happen. Send it to Bob Baumgart. John

3. hwcn

hwcn Member

Nothing is visably broken. Bolt just hangs up.

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Sounds like the buffer or the follower but I could be wrong. Superx Jeff should be along but failing in that, Bob is the best bet. John

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

BCNU- E-mail me superxtrap@netzero.net Jeff

6. KRIEGHOFFMAN

KRIEGHOFFMAN TS Member

hwcn,
    First ,take the gun apart and remove the recoil buffer and look for burrs in the back of the action.Any burr will prevent the recoil buffer from seating fully and thereby limiting the bolt travel!!!!You can remove these burrs with
    a polishing wheel or de-bur cutter on a foredom or dremel tool.
    Second,double check to make sure the follower pin is not sticking out too far
    and rubbing the stock and check the follower for smoothe operation and cleanliness.Also make sure your return spring tube is not bent or screwed in too far.
    Try this and if does not fix it.....call me and I will be glad to help.
    Ernest Marlette

7. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Worn/dammaged carrier and/or carrier release (as previously opined) plus maybe weak action spring .

Big money is on carrier/carrier release . Swap out trigger group and see if problem remains ; if yes , check carrier release (36SX1) ; if the "tit" is worn , the "next" round won't have enough "tit to "hit" . Usually when one leg of 36SX1 is broken , it is a beast to release and the handle has to be retracted a bit to take the load of the bolt off the release ; with the load off , 36SX1 can then easily be "opened" to allow the bolt to go to battery .

Charlie

8. cranemanlbs

cranemanlbs TS Member

Anybody know whats up with Bob Baumgart, trying to get hold of him myself and then have heard that he is not well and closed up shop Thanks Tony

9. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I had ordered some parts when they did not arrive I called and was told he was very very sick in the hospital and only had a short time left. I was very saddened and can only hope for the best. I ordered the parts from Wrights a sad day for SX1 guys.

10. 7lo8

7lo8 TS Member

I had the same problem, and a sharp gunsmith reasoned that if the bolt is going all of the way back, there is nothing wrong in cycling... the problem is with the fed shell failing to release the bolt lock. Clean your magazine tube, follower and spring plus stretch your spring or add a couple empty hulls on top of the spring to compress it. Solved it for me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.