1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SX1 how to remove butt stock pad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1964_Superposed, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1964_Superposed

1964_Superposed TS Member

Recently purchased my first Super X1 and replaced the bolt buffer with one from nu-line. After ~ 300 rounds, the new Bolt Buffer broke, and the tip is stuck in the receiver, so need to remove butt stock to poke it out, however the stock has a Pachmayer White Line Sure Grip Pigeon Shooter Pad that I can not figure out how to remove. I have inspected pad with a magnifying glass and can not locate any hidden or recessed screws.

Gun: 26" Skeet with immaculate blue, rolled engraved receiver, very nice high gloss checkered wood, overall great condition,SN# M43xxx.

Couple additional questions:

To disassemble the gas system, the manual says to hold the piston sleeve in your left hand, rotate the piston head with right hand, camming (?) the piston head retaining ring out of its seat in piston sleeve. Tried this but w/o success, does anyone know what camming means? Is a lot of force required?

The forearm has silver foil on it where it meets or rests against the barrel, near the magazine tube cap. Anyone know what this may be, a repair I suspect. Small pieces of it are coming off.

I am very pleased with the Super X-1, it is my first semi-auto shotgun. Was considering a Super X-3 sporting, but now I feel like I bought twice the gun for half the price.

Can NOT say I am happy with the nu-line buffer at the moment.

1st pic is piston sleeve & head + forearm foil, 2nd and 3rd are butt pad, last is broken Bolt Buffer on left and undamaged one on right.

Thanks for any advise, much appreciated.
    1964superposed_2012_0202.jpg

1964superposed_2012_02021.jpg

1964superposed_2012_02022.jpg

1964superposed_2012_02023.jpg

2. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

1964, one of my SX-1 Had The Recoil Pad Glued On. I "Borrowed" my wifes Hair Dryer And It Took A While But It Was enough "HEAT" to remove The Pad. Just Saying joe90t

3. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

If you go down the center about an inch or so from the end with a phillips screwdriver you will find the openings, put a little wd-40 on the screw driver shaft and it will not tear the soft rubber covering the screws when twisting...

4. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I always dip the phillips screwdriver in "RIG" before trying to find the holes.

Plus, it seals back to where you can hardly see the hole slits.

Danny

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

First thing, your pad is either screwed on or glued on, as the others have said.

How did you get the old buffer out and debris cleaned out between the receiver and stock, with the stock on? I'm thinking thats what could have broke your new buffer.

To remove the piston head, take a small screwdriver and pry off the retaining ring. Then twist the piston head and the little tabs will cam out. I can't remember which way to turn it, but it comes off easy.

Wouldn't have a clue about the silver bedding. Sounds like a repair.

Wayne

6. 1964_Superposed

Thanks for the quick responses. I did not remove the stock to replace the original buffer, I delicately "gouged" it out and then used a hooked pick like a dentist has and scraped as best I could between the receiver and stock, then followed up with a q-tip and drop of gun oil. I actually just repeated the process and put in another nu-line buffer. Tapped it in with a wooden dowel as before, and it is seated flush with the receiver, half moon centered above the spring tube. If this one breaks quickly I will have to remove the stock, or more likely take it to a local gunsmith (Dallas area). When the buffer broke off, it fell forward and caused the bolt to freeze about 3/4 back. I dropped the trigger and was able to push the bolt forward towards the barrel, releasing the broken buffer piece. I do not see any damage to the bolt, nor any damage around the bolt buffer area, so hopefully nothing bad happened. It is possible that seating the bolt buffer without removing the stock is the root cause, but I saw from shotgunworld this is a common practice, and I made every effort to clean the hole, however it is very possible I am missing a hidden piece or more. Thank you all again, this is a wonderful shotgun, no more sore shoulder, can shoot this silky smooth SX1 all the time. I had tried several other semi's and was either distracted by the slow, clunky cycle, or hit by the inertia system, so was not interested to own one. Great gun, hope I have no more issues.

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Nu-Line buffers are old Winchester stock. They have hardened with age and will fail quickly. Get a neoprene buffer from Wright's Gunsmithing and do both yourself and your Super X a favor.

Ken Rucker

8. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

The silver paper you saw is the remenants of how to install the gas rings on the gas system.
    It had a picture of the proper installation.

I only have two SX1s, looking at a third.

ed.

9. 1964_Superposed

#1 Finally got the nerve to probe for the hidden slits,pad is screwed on, and easy to remove.

#2 Called nu-line and they admitted they shipped me old Winchester bolt buffers, they are shipping me replacements. They blamed a former employee, but I wonder why they keep the obsolete stock????

New question, how do you remove the follower spring tube from the receiver, I'd like to at least clean / replace the old grease

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The tape on the fore end looks like lead tape. If so, it was added to give a little more weight to the front of the gun. HMB

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

enjoy your super x 1..

12. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

I had the same thing happen with a nu-line bolt buffer -- I bought the magnum buffer from Wrights. i also got a new hammer spring & firing pin return spring
    stickdp_2010_030124.jpg

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The best of the best autos with a few mods!!

14. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I don't know why Nuline shipped you an old USRA buffer, I'm surprised you got it in without it falling apart. Note that on their website for SX-1 parts, there are many part nunmbers that begin with USR and are NOS. The buffers are part numbered NLG and are Nuline neoprene buffers.

Now, I like the Wright buffers best, but the correct Nuline ones should serve you well for quite some time. Nuline seems to have bought all of the old USRA stock. Why they kept the old buffers around, I can't tell you. I have found them to be honest and offer good service to me in the past. YMMV.

You do NOT need to take the stock off to remove or replace the buffer. I don't believe there is an access to the buffer mounting area from the back. The only reason to take the stock off is you don't feel confident in being able to install the new buffer without dinging up your stock. Since you did it once, just do it again with the correct modern buffer. Using picks, etc to get out any old pieces is exactly right.

As far as camming the piston head off, you don't need to take the ring off. Just grab it and give it a good twist in either direction. When you get the tab out of the slot, keep twisting and pull it off. You will see, once you do it, that its pretty hard to screw up.

I agree that the tape in the fore arm may be old lead tape or what is left of lead tape...or something else. However, it is not the gas system assembly picture as someone alluded to above. I'm sure you know this though as your picture clearly shows the gas ring assembly picture clearly still attached to the mag tube.

Best of luck with your new gun and congratulations on picking a winner.

15. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

There is access to the bolt buffer from the rear of the receiver, with the stock off. You can punch it out, instead of prying it out. Mark

16. 1964_Superposed

Great feedback, thank you all. Nu-Line sent me a double order (10) of replacement bolt buffers, so that was nice. Lead tape on the forearm makes sense, the previous owner was a very good competition skeet shooter. I've removed 3 bolt buffers from the bottom of the receiver with picks, that has worked, however when I removed the stock, it seems the BB nipple can be punched out from the back side of the receiver. I've tapped in the buffers with a wooden dowel and a drop of gun oil on the BB nipple, does not take much force.

I really do enjoy my Super X1, the wood and metal are beautiful, and now I've added a 30" VR Full-Trap bbl in great shape.

When I bought this gun I knew nothing about the Super X1, at the time I was considering an SX3, so Winchester was in mind, and when I saw this one as part of an estate sale at a gun show, I was immediately smitten with its looks and feel, and except for the bolt buffer issues am happy to own this treasure.

SERNO. 43xxx, stage 1 trgger, pinned vent rib, stainless steel magazine tube, fancy wood and scrolled receiver that I am sure had not been used in 20+ years.

BR/Tim

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You figured out the easy way Tim for the buffer. That way at least you know everything is out and clean and then the new one seated properly. Great guns, enjoy it.

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected about rear access for bolt buffer, thank you gentlemen and to the OP I regret having given you misinformation.

Gee....you would think that with owning five of them I would know better! LOL

19. 1964_Superposed

Update: The 10 replacement buffers from Nu-Line started breaking right away, so I ordered Stu Wright BB, which has cycled 1,000 + rounds w/o issue. Nu line now says the buffers sent were not original Winchester, rather were new, but their supplier made a bad batch, They will refund my purchase when I return the unused.

Where are you guys sourcing your SX-1 buffers and how often (rounds spent) do you replace them?

BR/Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how is recoil pad installed on a winchester super x 3

remove butt stock winchester sx3

removing recoil pad on sx3

replace buffer on a winchester sx1

replacement buttpad for winchester sx1

sx3 removing the buttpad

winchester sx1 skeet grade recoil pad