1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SX-1 updates

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnboy, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnboy

johnboy Member

I haved enjoyed shooting my superx1 for several years and finally installed a stainless magazine tube that I ordered several years ago. I am now thinking about a gas piston that is less prone to rust than the orginal. When I first bought the gun approximately 6-7 years ago I learned the gun had several weak points one being the bolt buffer, which did shatter shortly after I put the gun in service. I currently have a neoprene buffer from Wright's which should have a longer life than the plastic. Does anyone have any experience with this buffer?
    I have faithfully cleaned the gas system after each use but I kind of like the idea that I could just wipe the gun down and not worry about the gas system rusting during a couple months of use. Recommendations?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

There are several Super X gurus on here. two that come to my mind are Super X Jeff and chuckles??

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Another is Tom Strunk! # 50 on the grand slam list, within seconds the first one shot, Tom was listed as second man to break all 300 targets (singles,caps and doubles) the same day and the list goes on and on. He's the Super-X guru I'd ask for advice if I shot one of those great old shotguns! Then again, he's been mighty busy taking care of his wife that's very ill so he may not have time these days.

Hap

4. sx1

sx1 Member

Use Break Free on the gas piston and tube. Wipes down easily and no rust. Bob Baumgart and I started using it about seven years ago. I still use it and have never had any problems. Keep it wet!!

5. johnboy

johnboy Member

Helpfull and interesting information, thanks

6. finger

finger TS Member

I change out the buffer whenever I take the butt stock off. Takes all of a few seconds. Is this overkill? Sure, but I don't pull the butts off very often either. I'd say, as did Boomer when he was still with us, that about every 25,000 you should measure the recoil spring and change it if out of spec and also change the buffer. Call it a PM but its darn cheap insurance. bob

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I have the old piston sleeve and mag tube and have never had any problems, but I lube them with Ballistol on a regular basis. I agree, Wrights buffers are the best. So are their return springs, but I had to cut an inch off the new spring to get light 1oz. loads to cycle.

FWIW, its Steve Fischer Gunsmithing, Miami,FL.

APrice you want to sell 6 of those buffers for a nickle when you get them??

Wayne

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I use Wrights buffers and have never had to replace one.

9. johnboy

johnboy Member

Thanks for the replies. I have the "wright" buffer in the gun now and will probably stay with the orginal gas piston.

10. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I have a spare SS magazine tube if anybody needs it,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.