1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SX-1/skeet-update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This is an update from my post the other day. I had time to put some shells on paper, and the 26" skeet barrel patterns very well at 21 yards.

I've never shot doubles with this gun, so I wanted to see how two shots would function. 1 ounce loads at 1150 fps. (reloads) I had problems. After the first shot fired, it would eject but FTF. If it did feed the second round, sometimes it wasn't in battery. If I did get two shots off, the bolt would not stay open. I did not have any higher velocity 1 ounce loads with me, but when I used 1-1/8 1150 fps, (reloads) gun functioned perfect.

This gun is perfectly clean, with a new Wrights buffer, return spring, and o-ring. I guess I need to pump up my 1 ounce loads to 1175, or 1200, or higher????

I did get home and cut open one of the 1 ounce loads. Nitro hull, Win primer, WAA12SL wad, 15.8 grains 700X (a little lite). I'm going to try some more 1 ounce 1150, and 1200 fps. today. Thanks, Wayne

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bump the powder up a little Wayne. I use red dot, so I'm not familiar with the 700X loads, but it sounds light. Shoot well and often, Bob

3. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

wayneo ,( new Wrights return spring ) , did you happen to cut off a couple or three coils off that spring before you installed it . Wrights will tell you themselves that this should be done . I have done it and it makes a difference . just my two cents Jeff

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Thanks for the replies. When I got the new spring I noticed it was shorter than the old one and called Wrights. The lady I talked to said thats normal, the old spring is wore out, and Wrights springs are stronger. But no mention of cutting it down. If I remember right, the old spring measured 30", and the Wright's was 27". They had just got back from the Grand and were pretty busy when I called. By the way, I have only shot 3 boxes of shells through the gun since I got the new spring. Thanks again, Wayne

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

I had the same problem with the new return spring so I put the old one back in and waa laa functioned great. My squad mates gun broke down during a doubles marathon. He fired 800 rounds through it without a hitch. Amazing auto loaders.

6. 1oz

1oz Member

I was able to shoot 15.5 of 700X 1 oz loads with no trouble but i did keep piston rings and SS mag tube cleaned and oiled with lite coat of breakfree clp. i would clean after every use or 4 boxes of shells . If you get a super x 1 fine tuned they are 1 heck of a autoloader.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Skeet2day, how much 700X are you dropping with those 7/8 loads? I think I bought a SX-1 bolt assembly from you about a year ago? Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.