1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SX-1 Modification ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JDSENIOR, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDSENIOR

JDSENIOR Member

Would there be any harm in removing the gas seal ring on an SuperX Model 1 in order to capture every hull by manually retracting the bolt? Obviously, this would only apply to singles and caps. The reason I ask is that I have not found a shell catcher that works 100% of the time.

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

It can be done but it is a distraction that both you and your squad mates don't need. IMHO Ron

3. nudehunter1

nudehunter1 Member

I would think that pulling back the bolt after every shot would get real tiring, also some damage to the rest of the action might be possible, also the unregulated escaping gas might damage the forearm, interesting thought, I have an old "Wrights" type shell catcher, thats not real handy to use,with nothing better, I"ll just keep useing it. what do other super X-1 lovers think?

4. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I use a rubber band cut from a bicycle inner tube on mine. Works like a charm an doesn't harm the gun's finish.

Ken Rucker

5. shaggist

shaggist Member

Removing the O-ring from the magazine tube will not stop the automatic recycling after each shot. It just doesn't throw the hull into the next county. I have heard that you can also remove the gas seal ring in addition to the O-ring and the gun will still eject the hull. I haven't tried the latter, so I can't say yay or nay to that. The T&S shell catcher works most of the time, but I have found it to be more trouble than it is worth, especially when the hull doesn't get caught, but flips around backwards in the receiver. Then, it is a PITA to get out without a hook of some sort.

I use a factory hull deflector and no O-ring, which results in the hulls landing about 5' away from where I am standing and not hitting my squad mate to my right. I would think if catching the hulls is of major importance, you will have to shoot a break-open gun.

Jack

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I've turned the gas ring around facing the wrong way, and with a Wrights recoil spring it won't eject 1 ounce loads. BUT, the inside of your forearm is going to get nasty black, and hot. Not good.

The most reliable shell catcher I've found was the big thick rubber bands that come on asparagus or broccoli. I always keep a couple in my shell bag for guys with autos that don't know any better.

Wayne

7. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

You would be better off to have a 'smith install a wire catcher in the barrel. I have one on both my 1187 and sx-1 and have never had a shell hit the ground!

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

+2 on the wire catcher...

9. jt4emert

jt4emert Member

I use the T&S catcher in conjunction with the shell DEFLECTER (for doubles) that you can get from Nuline Guns for $15.00 I never have a "turnaround" of an empty and they catch perfectly. Jim

10. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I cast a third vote for the wire. John

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Had Phillips do a wire catcher last year. Not everyone will do a SX-1 as they are different than a Rem 1100.

Wire catcher is they way to go! The T&S are fickle. 2/25 or so flip over, and you have to notch the bolt to clear the T&S. Also, the T&S does not work on all SX-1's

12. JDSENIOR

JDSENIOR Member

Thanks all for the advice and recommendations. I'm liking the wire in the barrel option. JD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.