1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SX-1 help please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Have a friend at the gunclub who just got a new barrel for his SX-1.. It's having problems ejecting low power shells.. No problem with a full 3 dram.. but light 1 oz.. seems to be a problem.. As I know nothing about these guns.. I ask for your help.. Thanks.. Mike Btw.. his old barrel finally cracked the rib.. but it functioned the light loads flawlessly..

2. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

there are holes in the part of the barrel that fits over the gas system , make sure they are open . and make sure o-ring is good and gas system is clean

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Anyone have a measurement for what the holes should be??? The guy with the barrel is already going to drill bits.. I'm not sure that's the right start.. I'll tell him to check his o ring too.. He keeps his gun spotless.. so I don't think its the gas system.. Any other tips would be appreciated.. All Good.. Mike

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Did he happen to install a new return spring from Wrights? They are a lot stronger than the old ones. I called Wrights because I was having trouble with 1oz. loads, They told me to cut an inch off the new one. It now cycles light and heavy loads fine. Click the above link for some good info.

Wayne

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Mike, No problem with him using a drill bit as long as he's using it by hand and not in a drill making them larger. Should be either that or a cleaning/O ring issue. Good luck with it, Bob

6. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

I recently purchased an SX-1 Trap. I purchased the Magnum rebound spring and steel follower from Stu Wright. As far as opening up the gas ports I really didn't have to, as mine seems to function flawlessly. Here is the info Stu sent me on opening up the gas ports. I hope he doesn't mind me copy and posting it here.

"With our rebound spring or Tube assemble we suggest that you also open the gas ports on the barrel. This makes for a softer shooting gun and more reliable. Open the 30 " barrel to .098, the 28" barrel to .108-.112 and the 26" barrel to .120-.128.
    Reason being today's shell produce less pressure then what the gun was designed for.
    To place the order please call 618-357-8933 with CC#.
    Thanks
    Stu"

7. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

It could just be that the metal ring is just installed upsidedown too.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

BCNU.. what metal ring???? Remember.. while I know Perazzi shotguns.. The Winchester is Greek to me.. Thanks for all the info.. I'm printing it out.. and will give it to him on Sunday.. All Good.. Mike

9. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

Here is what the gas system looks like. In the older models the steel ring has to go on a certain way (as shown in pic.) In newer models the ring was changed and can go on either way. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

[​IMG]

10. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

that is correct. If the ring is on upsidedown, it will not work properly.

11. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

In the newer guns, this gas ring is symetrical and can be installed either way. The older guns are as shown in the picture and the ring needs to face correctly.

Myself...just myself...the last thing I would do is drill out gas ports. I would check that everything is clean and fitted properly. If this was a parts gun, and there are a lot of them out there, both the barrel extension and the bolt may need a little fitting to get it to cycle well.

Also, have him pull off the stock and see the condition of the recoil tube and spring. If they are rusty, this will cause problems.

Also, as mentioned, need to check the cleanliness of the gas system and its condition...is the mag tube (assume its original) getting rough or rusty. If so, they can be reversed and the other end used for the gas system.

As mentioned, if a new Wrights magnum spring was installed, I personally would rather trim the spring than drill out the barrel gas ports...but that's just me.

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Mike the old SX1 recoil bushing was made of a material that hardened and breaks when brittle, Make sure that has been changed to the newer material lasts 20k rounds they fit in the back of the receiver if not replaced it will damage the rear of the bolt and could rune it. On the gas port holes if you open them too big it will make the bolt slam real hard in the receiver. It is best to adjust the spring first based on the loads you shoot if a light load I would try adjusting with the spring first cutting shorter till it cycles drill as last fix if it is still not cycling. If you do drill too big you then can adjust that with a heavier spring it is worth the effort as when they are set right they are a joy to shoot. This is what I did when I shot them years ago other options maybe better this was all I ever used but there are SX1 lovers that may know more ways or other fixes. Buddy

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The recoil buffer has been changed to the new neopreme style sold by Nuline..and Stu Wright.. I advised him not to do anything until I got some information here.. He's already opened the hole .003 I suspected the bolt might also be hanging up a little.. Information is a WONDERFUL thing.. Dick is a great guy...You could set a clock by him.. He's on the line for 1.15pm.. he shoots 2 boxes.. 3 times a week.. and goes home.. He's shot the same Super X-1 for the last 20 years... All Good.. Mike

14. AWC

AWC Member

I have shot a SX 1 for many years including ten years of trap. If I was having this problem I would start by cutting off one coil at a time of the spring thats on the rod that pushs the bolt back. I don't know if this will work but I have been told that it will.

Got four geese with mine last week. They are great guns.

AWC

15. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

You also might have him check the Return Spring Follower. It is what the bolt rod connects to at the recoil spring. The factory ones were Aluminium and prone to wear. Wrights has available a steel one that will probably last forever. If the recoil spring assembly is adjusted properly there should be no play in the bolt at all with the action closed. If there is the return spring assembly has to be turned into the receiver more till snug. Here is a pick of the recoil spring follower.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gas ring on sx1