1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SX-1 Barrel Information

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Richiemac78, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Richiemac78

Richiemac78 Member

SX-1 barrel will not properly cycle light loads. The twin barrel holes measure
    .071" . Sometimes the bolt will open and not discharge the empty and at other
    times the bolt will never open at all. Can anyone advise by how much these holes
    should be opened up ? Many thanks .

2. nudehunter1

nudehunter1 Member

what make you think you need to enlarge the holes?? I've never heard that solution used before, I think I'd explore other solutions first.

3. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Just make sure holes are open , gun is clean and put a new o - ring in it after cleaning , should cycle fine . Jeff

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Could be crud in the plunger spring too. It could be rusty as well.

5. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

1. Do you have another barrel you can try on the SX-1 you have? If you are really convinced it is your barrel that is causing the malfunctions, how does your gun cycle with another barrel?
    2. You did not say what choke restriction your barrel has. SX-1 IC and Skeet choked barrels have gas ports that measure .076." The gas port holes with Modified or tighter chokes are .073." I would not drill the ports until you are sure of a lot of other things first. Are you sure your ports are clear of carbon or debris? You can use pipe cleaners with solvent to clean them with.
    3. Do you have an instruction booklet with a parts break down schematic?
    4. Are you sure all the parts to your gas system are present, cleaned of all carbon, not rusted or pitted, and are installed correctly?
    5. Is your gas seal(not the "O" ring)installed correctly? If it is of the old style, it should be installed with the tapered end toward the butt stock.
    6. The "O" ring is the last part to go on the gas system before you reinstall the forearm and magazine cap.
    7. Other important gas system parts are the piston head with inside and outside piston rings, and the piston head retaining ring. If any of these parts are carboned up, pitted, missing or damaged, the gun will function erratically.
    8. Here's a statement directly out of the SX-1 Takedown and Assembly Instruction Manual..."In most cases, where sluggish extraction, ejection, or loading is experienced, you will find the gun has been used an extended length of time without proper cleaning."
    Hope this helps.
    Harry Dinwiddie

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

A properly set up sx-1 will cycle 7/8 ounce loads with no problem. You could very well open the ports and still have a gun that will not cycle the lighter ammo as it is NOT a port issue

Hear me friend.. DO NOT OPEN THE PORTS!!

You will fu&% up your barrel. I have been there, done that and have not only got the T shirt but the barrels with holes that are too big in them. It is expensive to have the holes sleeved and drilled so you do not beat the hell out of your action.

I have a friend who shoots 3/4 ounce loads at 1200 out of his sx-1 with no issues.

His gun is clean, his return spring is not worn out and that is not needed to get his gun to cycle high pressure fast shooting 3/4 ounce loads.

Send your gun out and have it tuned by Ernest Marlette or Stu Wright or Steve Fisher is he still does those sort of things.

Reaming the holes is a band aid at best and it will not necessarily work.

Hope you take the good advice given above as well as my input. There are fellas on this site that are not newbies when it comes to that fine autoloader.

Jeff

7. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

Jeff, all very good points. I should have mentioned in my above post that my SX-1 guns will shoot reduced loads with 7/8 oz. of shot all day even WITHOUT the "O" ring with no problems and I have not cut down the return springs either. I have never had to open up the gas ports on any SX-1 barrel. I hope the orginal poster does not mess up his barrel.
    Harry D.

8. shaggist

shaggist Member

Richiemac,

Before you do anything else, check your firing pin. It is part of a locking mechanism that keeps your bolt closed until the shot have left the barrel. It has some intricate surfaces that interact with the bolt beard and keep it from moving for a fraction of a second after you fire the gun.

To do so, take the trigger group out of the receiver, then remove the tension of the recoil spring on the bolt link and take the bolt out. It will then be obvious how to remove the firing pin by removing the cross pin that holds it in place. Check to see that the firing pin has not become misshapened and the firing pin spring is not broken. If both of them are OK, then squirt some auto brake cleaner down in the firing pin hole and make sure it is free of dirt and gunk.

DO NOT drill the gas holes out larger. That is NOT your problem.

Jack Young

9. Richiemac78

Richiemac78 Member

Thanks to all for the inputs . SX-1 cycles just fine with different barrel which holes also measure .071'.
    Might add that the original barrel has been cut to 21.5 " and Cutts Compensator
    added to give 26" overall length. Only choke tube available is spreader .
    Could it be that the barrel is too short and not able to generate enough back pressure to properly cycle the action ? Heavy 1150 fpm loads do sluggishly cycle the action .
    Will not touch barrels with reamers etc until further info is gathered.
    AS I recall Rem 1100 barrel ports used to be regularly opened for the skeet
    shooting fraternity and doubles shooters !
    Many thanks for any and all inputs .
    Also does anyone have any mod or IC Cutts CT's for sale ?

10. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

Your problem is the most likely the shortened barrel as you suspected. The gun can be modified to work with the lighter loads. Opening the gas ports in the barrel is a possibility. However, if you have changed to a heavier recoil spring, or maybe a steel recoil spring follower, this may also be a part of the problem. Are your 1150 fps loads 1 1/8 oz or 1 oz.? What powder are you using? All the info on any mod's would be helpful to finding a solution to the problem. I have done several port openings on barrels that have a cycling problem, if that is what will solve the problem.

I may also have some Cutts chokes hiding in my shop somewhere. I'll take a look tomorrow when I go to work. If you would like further info or to discuss your problem, please feel free to call me at my shop. xx305-261-1820xx

Steve Fischer

11. Richiemac78

Richiemac78 Member

Steve: thanks for the input . Contacted a retired old time smith this morning who was quite familiar with the problem . Told me to measure barrel holes with a wire drill(.070" -#50 drill) to use the next size wire drill #49 .073" try one hole at a time and keep ratcheting up the wire drill sizes until it the SX-1 cycles properly.Sounds logical to me : all ports were
    clear of carbon and gas piston assy correctly installed and functioning very well
    with mod factory barrel ; kicked the shells out 6 to 8'.
    Loads that I tried with the Cutts that functioned the action sluggishly were
    factory B & P - 1 oz " Competition" , a rather snappy load !

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Have you pulled the stock and looked at the return spring and tube? I've seen some so full of crud the gun wound not cycle.

Wayne

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well.... We would all like to know how reaming out the holes in your ports worked! Jeff

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Come on Richie, take one for the team....

15. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

I'd like to hear too, since I have a cut down "Skeet" barrel that I shot the aftermarket, screw-in choke out of on the SX-1 Skeet gun I bought used back in 2010. A portion of the barrel metal where the allen head screw was screwed into the barrel shot off the end of the barrel along with the choke. Left the rib hanging off the muzzle end about an inch.

Cut that particular barrel back to about 22" (which was beyond the threading for the screw in chokes) but the action still cycles just fine whenever I put that barrel back on the gun. Never even dreamed about having to open up the gas ports on that barrel.

Harry Dinwiddie

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I bought a used SX-1 at a pigeon shoot a few years ago. He claimed it had a magnum spring, and the holes were bored out so a 1oz load would still cycle.

1oz loads do cycle, and it's the softest shooting SX-1 I ever owned with super handicaps.

This magnum spring thing....did they ever make a magnum SX-1? Were the hunting guns any different than the target guns. Never heard any discussions on this before.

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Nu_line guns made 2 3/4 inch guns into 3" guns aftermarket. They never did work all that well. The magnum springs came from Wrights and they really slow down the action. Jeff

18. Richiemac78

Richiemac78 Member

Sorry for delay . I opened up both barrel ports from .070" to .075" with excellent results . Tried it with 3 different brands of ammo and empties
    kicked out to about 6' : recoil was about the same as with a factory trap
    barrel . I did use a small pin vise and hand drilled the ports ; would not
    recommend use of electric drill of any sort.
    The Cutts spreader tube is just that; a wide open pattern at 25yd . Have finally chased down full & mod CT's and will repattern , hopefully this
    weekend.
    OPening both ports by .005" worked for me but then again I have always been
    quite " lucky".

Search tags for this page

where can i get my rem barrel ports drilled in north metro mn