1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching to Clay Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I am considering trying Clay Dot. I've been using Clays for quite a while and am very happy with it; however, I am tempted to switch to Clay Dot in order to save a bit on reloading costs.

Have any of you made the switch and been happy with results?

Thanks for your feedback.

2. John55

John55 Active Member

Yes, switched over several years ago with no regrets. I love the stuff in my 1oz loads, shoots very smooth and barrel stays just as clean as it did with Clays. Just recently starting trying it in some light 1-1/8oz loads for doubles and it is working out just fine there as well.

3. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Nice to hear, John. I too would be using it for 1-ounce loads.

My understanding is that I would load it as if it were Clays, correct?

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Claydot was developed for 1 oz. loads (Paul Furrier, Alliant Engineer).

It will do for 1 1/8 oz loads up to 1200 fps as it builds pressure rapidly under 1 1/8 of lead.

Keller

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

use the same weight of claydot as clays, it does not have the same density per volume. might have to switch to a different bushing.

I have been using it for a few years now.

it is a very nice powder with good results.

6. John55

John55 Active Member

I use 17.2grs ClayDot with the TGT wad in Remington STS hulls. Chrono says 1190fps and recoil is very soft. Bumping it to 17.5grs definitely sharpens the recoil so I have stayed with the lighter load for both 1oz and some 1-1/8oz loads I'm trying now. I use a 444 Hornady bushing with my current jug, but always check it when going to a new one. So far I have only seen it vary a couple of tenths from one jug to the next.

7. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Clays/Clay Dot are excellent powders but pressure can build quickly. I have switched to the new Alliant E3 with excellent results...it does not peak as dramatically as Clays/Clay Dot..on my 3rd 8 lb jug. Very happy, especially with fast 1 oz loads for sporting clays with Winchester & Remington hulls.

WNCRob

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too would like some info on how Claydot drops??? Is it as consistant as Clays powder. Clays powder drops plus/minus only one tenth of a grain. Red Dot in my loader was like a plus/minus 3 tenths of a grain, so it varied from like l6.7 grains to l7.3 grains which was enough for me to stop using Red Dot. Clays is just so consistant when droping and makes for very consistant loads as well. Is Claydot as Good in its drops??? Thanks and break em all. Jeff

9. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

I made the switch 3-4 years ago. I think I am on my 5th or 6th 8# jug. I have been lucky in that my Hornady bushing throws within .1 grain of where "it is supposed to be" - very consistent drops...I originally set up for the 17.2gr STS hull recipe shared above. I really like the powder and see no reason to return to Clays. The load is clean, patterns very nicely in my shotgun, has minimal recoil and this domestically produced powder is priced right, especially when purchased at a large shoot to save a few more pennies. This is where the late Pat Ireland would have chimed in about Alliant's Virginia plant and the positives of their product line!

Give it a try!

Bill

10. Trapazoid

Trapazoid TS Member

I didn't switch from Clays but I am using Clay Dot in Handicap and Singles. 1 1/8 oz load with 19.5 grains in a Paper Federal for Handicap and 17.1 grains in a plastic Federal for Singles. Both loads with the Federal 12S3 and it's replacements from Down Range and Claybuster. Both loads are tremendous.

11. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Switched from Red Dot to Claydot last year, use it for 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz with a Win 209 primer, works for me, Have shot many rounds of trap with it and am well satisfied. I drop 18.4 gr.
    Woody

12. Reinz

Reinz Member

Yes, I made the switch fairly recently and have been told that it is more consistent in the colder conditions than Clays.

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Another switch from Clays to Clay Dot here. I use it for 1oz loads in Rem and AA hulls with Win 209 primers and DR XL-1 wads. I keep the speed under 1240 or so. Bushings vary, so start with the bushing you used for Clays as a trial run, weigh the powder charge, and go from there. Don't assume that the bushings are the same. Use that scale!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.