1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching to a high rib gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Question for all you shooters who have switched to a high rib gun (e.g., K-80 TS, Kolar Max T/A). Have you noticed a decrease or increase in your scores. I went through the ATA website and searched on several well known shooters. Knowing when they switched guns and looking at their averages all of them have had a drop in average, especially handicap.

2. 2005Kid

2005Kid Member

Going to happen, There is a learning curve and it takes time, Now as far as how much time depends on you the shooter .

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I switched to a high ribbed gun and it did take some time to adapt.
    I ma be wrong but I think the curve for me and most others is a mental thing thinking the higher rib will make your mistakes pronounced. It is no different than a gun without a rib. I kept telling myself that a gun that shoots 80/20 shoots 80/20 no matter how high of rib is on it. Once I got that in my head and dialed the gun in my scores are going up and up and my confidence is building by the minute. I also think I was over thinking it, sometimes common sense is a bitch. There were times I was thinking of going to a shorter rib but I have learned how to shoot the higher rib and now would not trade it for anything.
    Besides all this, they look neater than hell.

4. dukcall

dukcall Member

I went to a Kolar T/S,didnt work for me,shot it two years and my average went

down and I couldnt shoot it well.I am a Vet shooter,the gun was fitted to me

by Jeff Mainland,not putting down high ribbed guns,shooters love them,bought

a new mono,standard rib no tubes,really shooting it good,love it.

5. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

The first time that I was handed a high rib unsingle, I started smoking the targets.

I find that I see the target better as it comes into the guns "pattern placement" above the bead.

To me, it is easier because the rib is sitting up high and the barrel isn't in the site picture, just the top of the rib and the bead (better a smaller bead).

Now if I could only afford one of those Kolar High ribbed guns, then look out world....yeah right...Leo's has no worry about me!!!

Phil Santos Capt. (Ret.)

Team Budweiser

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The standard K80 is not a high rib gun. Good luck.

7. new zealand trapper

new zealand trapper TS Member

best thing i ever did going to k 80 ts, conned 2 old friends into having a go with mine now the both own k 80 ts and they think they are 16 again,fun to watch them getting such good results

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

My scores really dropped for a few months. I am now OK with it. Averaging 97-98 singles.

Still struggling with HC.

YMMV

Don Verna

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

When I went from a Citori Special Sporting to a Citori Plus my scores jumped and better yet my breaks were better. Solid, centered, soot ball breaks. Dave T.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

My scores went up when I switched from a top single with a very low rib to un unsingle. I had a much clearer view of the target leaving the house (with a moderate high hold). It also eliminated heat risers in the summer. So I'm sold on higher ribs, whether on an unsingle or a top single.

That being said, the higher the rib, the more pronounced errors in gun fit and canting become.

11. buck3200

buck3200 Well-Known Member

I purchased a Baker unsingle for my 3200 spring '02. Once I dropped the rib the max for highest POI I started shooting like a madman. I tend to have a hard time staying focused on the target and look at the end of barrel. Hi rib gives less to look at is my theory why I find it easier not to with a hi-rib.Unfortunatly after just over 1K targets a light primer strike problem arose that still hasn't been completly fixed.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Go to Keen Ribs. Buy a high one, there not expensive. And see if it works for you.

13. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

I tried one and down went my scores....went back to top single and scores came back up, just me I guess!!! I looked right thru the hi-rib everytime I went to shoot and couldn't stop doing it, my other eye would take over, OH WELL!!!

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

No problem with going to a high rib gun. It made it easy for me to see the target and my scores went up.

15. AEP

AEP Member

I shot a Zoli, made by Weatherby, for almost 20 years. My biggest complaint was on hot days the heat waves from teh barrel would really screw up my shooting. I purchased a Browning Cynergy. The heat problem is no more. Once I got the fit and POA right I do just as well as when I shot the Weatherby.

The gun has to fit you and yes you must like the gun. If you do not like what you shoot I don't care what you shoot you are not going to shoot it well.

I think all of this high rib, low rib is all baloney. If a low rib fits you better and you shoot it well then that's the gun for you and the same holds true for a high rib.

My old Weatherby I shot well. I then pruchased the Cynergy and got it shooting just as well. The weatherby didn't have any adjustments. TheCynergy did. One day, while shooting the Cynergy, the adj comb came loose. I reset it and continued on. My aveerage dropped about 2 birds. It was driving me nuts. I then broke out the Weatherby and started shooting well again. I then took the Cynergy to the patterning board and found I was shooting way to high. I dropped the comb about 1/8" and picked up my 2 birds.

I wouldn't have believed that 1/8" would make that much difference but it did.

You may want to keep the gun you have and take a couple of lessons. That will help you alot.

If you are tired of shooting your ole faithful no matter what you do you will never be happy.

Just my Opinion,

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

changing from no rib to high rib gun