1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching sides

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by roundRiver, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roundRiver

roundRiver TS Member

After growing up shooting right-handed I have had a change in eye dominance and am now thinking about relearning to shoot shotgun with the left side, so I have lots of questions. How hard is it? How long does it typically take until I am comfortable? I am leaning towards finding a good coach in the N Metro area of Minneapolis/St Paul to speed along the process. Any thoughts or advice from past experience?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Whewwwwww!!!! I thought you were coming out of the closet. LOL

3. Saxman

Saxman Member

Had the same problem made the switch took about a year. Good Luck

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

In the early 90's, due to a shoulder injury, I switched from my right to left. I put a magic dot on my right lens. It took about 2 month of a lot of shooting and a lot of dry firing from the left side before I was, what I would call comfortable. I shot for about a year from the left. During that time I was competitive.

Ajax

5. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I have always been right handed with a left dominate eye so my first few years shooting a BB gun I went left handed, that was what felt natural to me. Then the adults got hold of me and I started shooting right handed. A couple of years ago I thought I would experiment with shooting a shotgun left handed. The move to the left side mechanically was no problem. I feel very natural from both sides. But.... after a while I developed a severe flinch which I had never experienced before, both pull and release. I concluded that due to some wiring in my brain the message line from my brain to my left trigger finger when it came to shooting at a moving target was faulty. I taped up my left lense and went back to the right side and haven't flinched since. When I shoot a rifle where I hold a sight picture and squeeze the trigger, left side, right side, makes no difference. Shooting a pistol from the left hand is very clumbsy so I shoot a pistol right handed, held under left eye. My situation with a shotgun may be completly unique so take it for what it is worth. Good luck, Rich

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

After more than 50 years as a competitive rifle and shotgun shooter, I was forced to change from right to left-handed. I jiggered my stock to allow me to shoot lefty and my first round at trap was a 13. I then got a left5-handed stock and did not look back.

The hardest thing was to coordinate my hand moves after the shot. Unloading and loading were strangely different and I had more than one experience when I accidently ejected a hull and had to dodge it as it headed for my face.

After a number of years (at least 7 or 8) it still feels strange but my scores are not terrible.

I met a number of people at the Grand in Vandalia who had switched including Ray McKissick, the Decot dealer from PA. He told me that lost his right eye in a rifle blow-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.