1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching Sides

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalvinMD, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just wondering who else has developed problems in their shooting eye and switched hands to overcome it and realistically how long and how many rounds to become competitive again(not that I ever was?!?) Would like to hear as many folks personal experiences as possible..also your before /after the switch best class or averages...I'm seriously thinking of going lefty because I was a Right handed, right eye (one eye) shooter who developed serious Kerataconus in my right eye only due to medicine interactions from previous health problems that are slowly being overcome,..I want to get back out there on the field again but not if all I'm setting myself up for is failure and disappointment

P.S. If anyone knows of good written training aids articles or videos too that focus on this please pass along that info if you don't mind...THANKS!!!!

2. Mapper

Mapper Member

I once knew a guy in Iowa who lost vision in his right eye and switched to left handed. He was AA-27. I don't know how long it took him, but it is obviously possible.

3. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Doc, I tried it for 3 years, cured my cross dominate problem and I was very comforatable shooting lefty but I developed a serious problem with my brain communicationg with my left trigger finger, developed a very serious flinch where the message to fire was not getting to my release trigger finger about 20% of the time. The only fix was for me to go back to righty. May have been a one in a million deal, I have never heard of it happening to anyone else before or since. gyrine

4. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I lost my right eye completely in a backyard accident when I was 12. So I had to learn to do some things lefty from an early age. I shoot left handed and with having only one eye, consider it an advantage because I don't have to deal with the dominant eye problems of two-sighted people. I wasn't a good shot to begin with, but won the CA 20 ga skeet championship somewhere around 1970. I took up trap and shot a 2 the first time. I currently have a 97 average and have a very good time shooting left handed. It may be that I just got used to doing certain things lefty from a young age, but I know that if you practice at it, it becomes easier as time and many targets go by.
    Don't give up a great sport and pastime. You just apply yourself and it will come. If I can help you in any way, please don't hesitate to contact me.
    Tom Lieb

5. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

I think I remember Moe Bragg from Shooters Emporium having shoulder trouble years ago, he switched for a year or so, and is one of the few to break 200 singles right handed and 200 straight left handed. l.g.

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The switch can be made BUT, the learning process is SLOW. I was forced to change from right shoulder shooting (master right eye)due to a shoulder replacement. The shooting part was easy..hitting what I wanted was hard. Two + years later, it's starting to come around. Didn't shoot at all for a year and have spent the last year fighting to keep above Class d in the local league. Haven't shot a registered bird in over two years. Long drop from Class A. Restocked my Ljutic and shot lite loads and all of a sudden, it's starting to work. Learning to coordinate movement and site picture has been a gem. I only cuss under my breath so others don't think I've lost my mind.

Big Jack

7. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Ignoring loss of sight in an eye, it does not work often in men and almost never in women.

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Phil, I must agree. The only way I have been able to overcome the eye situation was to mask off my master eye (right eye) totally. The physical coordination was extremly difficult to relearn. Where to hold on the house, I'm down on the edge of the roof, now for stations 2,3 &4 and off the outside corners a bit lower for one & five. I used to hold a high gun..doesn't work one eyed. I have finally figured out the foot placement for shooting left handed only by watching a couple of others and adapting their systems. Tried to go back to a pull trigger, no success. Stayed with my release trigger, learning to control it as I did in the past has been a real bummer. Thought seriously of selling all my guns and buying a Harley but I'm too old to heal if I dump it. If this thought continues, maybe a trike!

Big Jack

9. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

I switched to shooting from the left side to the right side when I discovered that my dominant eye was my right eye. I am normally left handed and do everything left handed. It took about 200 rounds to get comfortable although it may have been easier for me because I was a relatively new shooter.

As a "lefty" I have concluded that it is an advantage for me to shoot from the right shoulder because my "strong" arm is supporting and guiding the gun. My guess is that switching successfully may depend on how long you have been shooting and how much patience you have.

10. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

What, no jokes about this subject title. AC/DC?? Now I have seen it all. O.K. I will do it. CalvinMD, don't go to the dark side.....JIM

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Sorry, I thought this was an announcement from Waalkes.

-Gary

12. CalvinMD

Switching sides may be my only hope because my eye is irrepairable and not able to be corrected to a point that will allow me to shoot...I may just go over and live with the results..dont think I'll be playing the money any time soon

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Our friend from Sioux Falls, a firefighter and one time president of the ATA, Randy Clark, did exactly that. He was a good shooter as a RH shooter, but fought dominance, so he switched to LH.

I think he shot more 200x200 LH than he did RH, and it didn't take him long, like maybe one year to make the change.

Whiz

14. CalvinMD

Thats at least one thing in my favor...I wont be fighting dominance as I can only see lefty too

15. MarkyMark

MarkyMark TS Member

I did it, from right handed to left handed. There where a couple things I had going for me, I batted, golfed, swung, lefty. The big thing I did was I had a shooting coach start with a clean slate. Beretta gas pipe set up for a lefty. We just started with the move mount, then worked into the shoot on a skeet field station one. Then week after week progressed, I wanted to be a better wing shoot not so much a trap shooter.

I was throwing thousands away at pigeon shoots shooting righty, left eye. Then a few trips down to south america tuned it right up. That is why in another post I don't beleive in the bead, I do however believe that is one gets past the learning curve and is dedicated a shooter can make the switch. The major thing that I have noticed over the years is I don't look for the bead and try to line up a shot. I just go for it, maybe I just react to the shot now while before I was always thinking and winking down.

Today I am more or less a flyer shooter, that enjoys waterfowl and dove shooting. Was it work IDUNNO I don't consider shooting work more like a passion.

16. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Cal,
    Ever thought about a crossover stock?I know they are expensive,but you wouldn't have to go to the dark side........just a thought.
    D.P.Reynolds

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Another option, not mentioned here is an add on rib that goes alongside the regular rib, allowing the shooter to shoot with his dominant eye.

I've seen some shooters shoot them and shoot them well.

TS.Com's One-Eyed Charlie comes to mind.

Hauxfan!

18. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I have shot quite a few times with an older fellow who switched from right shoulder to his left because of bad shoulder joint problems. He was shooting pretty good again after only a few months but he did (almost from the start) have to go to a release trigger as he just could not pull with his left hand --- and he also had to shoot with one eye closed of oourse.

19. wyomingcutthroat

wyomingcutthroat Member

Switched at age 55 due to an deteriorating sight on my right side. The learning curve was slow, not haveing much athletic ability.

Shooting a flat a week on 5 stand targets was my therapy. It works, but I am not as good lefty as right dominant, right handed. But I can't walk and chew gum either, so your experience could be ( hopefully will be) different.

20. THE REBEL

THE REBEL TS Member

CalvinMD go to loch raven and talk to jerry he had to do that and he is good at skeet and trap JOHN A BELL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.