1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

switching primers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jack: You can do a search on primers and get a lot of input. Myself, I refuse to purchase Remington, Winchester or Federal components. Their prices are ridiculous. I have shot 20000 Fiocchi primers and have no complaints whatsoever. Try them you'll like them and they won't cost you a fortune either. Ed

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The cheddites will interchange with the Winchester 209's and not cause any problems, both in size and data.

The Noblesports are oversized and you'll be commited to using oversized primers in the hulls. I don't anything about data for the Noblesports.

ec90t

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have had good luck with Cheddite,Nobel,Fiocchi,and PMC primers during warm weather.. In New Orleans it rarely gets cold.. Kevin at Downrange has a much different view based upon proper testing and I'm SURE he's right.. But.. I've not encountered ANY problems other than seeing the vast difference in the testing data of the shells I sent him. Some were more than 100 fps faster.. or slower with weighed powder and shot charges.. loaded on a Pacific 266 so I could assemble them SLOWLY and as accurate as my digital/beam scale would allow. Shot charges were within 1 bb of weight. All Good.. Mike

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The nobels are a PITA in many ways, too big, too many misfires. Too soft in cold weather

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For reasonable prices, the Cheddites are hard to beat.

6. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I have now gone through about 8000 cheddites and i love them. Not one misfire and no poof loads either. Not changing to any other primer. I have shot in 10 degree weather and 100 degree weathe weather in maryland all humidity in the summer too so i have shot them in all different types of weather i love them. I use them in sts or nitro hull with promo powder and a one ounce load. Great for everything from 16 to 25.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Cheddites are as good as WW209's in my opinion. However the Fio. 616 is even cheaper and seem to work just as well as either of the other two.

8. VNVET

VNVET Member

The Fio. 616 is a HOT primer, almost as hot as the Fed. 209a. Load data is just now becoming more available such as on the Hodgdon website and other powder manufactures. When the Fio. primers became popular they were widely touted as a direct replacement for Win. 209 primers and they are NOT. Here's a sample load from the Hodgdon website:

1 1/8 shot
    Win 209
    WAA12 wad
    18.1 Grn Inter. Clays
    8,300 LUP (about 9,100 PSI)
    1145 FPS

1 1/8 shot
    Fio. 616
    WAA12 wad
    17 Grn Inter. Clays
    11,000 PSI
    1145 FPS

9. k-gunguy

k-gunguy Member

I wanted to try the cheddite primers,Graf's is out of stock.Anyone know where to get these?
    Thanks Gaz

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

You can look at the Alliant website and find various loads with various powders, (using different weights) using Fiocchi, Winchester, Remington primers etc. and will note similar pressures among many combinations. I maintain, unless you load the 'high end" loads you will not have problems. Staying well within the limits and you will have no problems. I have loaded 16.5 grains to 18 grains of Promo and Red Dot using the Fiocchi primers with DownRange or Remington wads with absolutely no problem. They are a very mild load that gets the job done. 17 grains of Promo with a 1 oz. load or 17.5 grains with a 1 1/8 oz load is a pleasure to shoot with the Fiocchi 616. (In an STS or Gun Club hull). Ed

11. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Love the fio's , unless it's cold. Talking to Hodgdon a few days ago, tech said that they were going to release more Fio's forumlas, ALLIANT wake up.

12. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

The above will get you to Noble Sport primer data.

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I've used some 200,000 Cheddite primers without an issue. This year, because the Cheddites were $118 per sleeve, I bought 5 sleeves of Nobel Sport at $88 per. They are somewhat different than those I tried many years ago. I haven't measured their diameter, but they don't seem quite as large as before and the cap is slightly different. The only issue I've had is an occasional squib load when I've left the shells in the car for a long period in cold weather.

Buz

14. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:

I would remind everyone that Cheddites are french. That would be the same France that refused to cooperate in pre-war economic sanctions against Sadam and who continued selling armament to Sadam's military as they were shooting at our guys.

I do my best to avoid French products and I wouldn't use Cheddites if a semi-trailer load cost a nickel.

sissy

15. Herman63

Herman63 Member

I agree with VNVET the Fio. 616 is not a direct replacement for the win 209.

I was loading clays and was told it would just replace the win so i used it.

They were hot and I could tell.

I use it now with Greendot and it is doing good and the preasure is alot lower. With the load I am loading, I can interchange with the win209 and Fio, and the Fio is softer.

I hope they start coming out with more data.....

Herman63

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I cannot find any reload data for Cheddite primers?? can someone advise? Also are the Cheddites the same size as Rem or Win 209's?? Thanks in advance FC

17. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Where can you find some Fiocchis reasonable? John E.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.