1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching powders question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

When my supply of hodgdon CLAYS runs out. Thinking of switching to alliant. Anyone have suggestions on simular powder compared to CLAYS. I like the clays it loads nice shoots clean and soft.

2. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Claydot is the obvious choice. It's a little cheaper and you can even keep your recipes as they are. That assumes that you like Clays to begin with. Most folks seem to.

john

3. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I switched from Clays to Claydot this year. I use the same bushing in my loader as when I was using Clays. As was already mentioned Claydot is cheaper and gives the same performance as Clays. No worries.

hubcap

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

1911, If you like it why switch at all. If I was still reloading 12 ga. shells thats all I would use. Alliants clay dot is a take off of clays,and it costs me more fkor Clay Dot than Hodgedons Clays. Break-em all. Jeff

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Its easier for me to get Alliant powders in my area. and right now its claydot is running 12.00 cheaper per 8lb.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Why not use Red Dot? It has the same burn rate as Clays and they have cleaned it up. Fred

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

How about Why red dot? I did use red dot when i first started it was older stock. It was dirty. Compared to claydot how much cleaner.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

That's a good reason!!! You answered your own question. They all will work good. Jeff

9. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

maclellan1911, ....... "When my supply of hodgdon CLAYS runs out. Thinking of switching to alliant. Anyone have suggestions on simular powder compared to CLAYS. I like the clays it loads nice shoots clean and soft."

If you like Hodgdon Clays powder and want something similar, that burns clean, is less expensive to purchase and load compared to Clays, you may want to try some Hodgdon Titewad powder. Works good for 12 ga 7/8 oz on up just like Clays except it takes less for the same FPS and pressures are similar to that of Clays.

This is not Alliant but IMR 700X is another great choice with lower pressures than Clays, it also burns just as clean and patterns as good as or better than Clays!

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

TinMan88 What system did you use to determine that the newer Red Dot (actually several years old now) burns as dirty as the old Red Dot? I see so many people talking about how much cleaner one powder is than another, yet nobody states how they determined this.

I have used American Select for my lighter loads. If I were to change, I would look at Clay Dot but probably go back to Red Dot.

maclellan1911- Clay Dot is the obvious choice for you based on your first post.

Pat Ireland

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

TinMan- Residual burning tests show different results than your dirt on the swab test. In these tests the powder is weighed, burned, and then the residue left is again weighed.

Incomplete combustion of a powder to low chamber pressure is a problem that will make any powder leave a lot of residue in the barrel.

A dark area around the crimp will also be more noticeable when using light loads. This darkened area is often restricted to about 1/4 of the case crimp area. The light load does not generate enough pressure to firmly seal the hull against the chamber wall when fired and a little blow back will take place around one section of the crimp. This can be seen when using once fired hulls and light loads.

Pat Ireland

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

Promo is the answer. Yep, it is a little dirty, but I clean my guns every once in a while.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Consider Hodgdon Titewad or Titegroup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.