1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching from VP60 to VP65 wad for steel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Due to the blow through problem with the 1 oz VP60 wad, I'm switching to the 1-1/8 oz wad for steel shot, the VP65.

I have a full case of the smaller wad to exchange for the larger. BPI's website shows a recall in the right most column. The mfr Helarco offers to exchange for any other wad thru BPI (link above).

Recipes can be obtained from BPI although they are very fast, too fast in my opinion. I've requested they test a Universal Clays recipe and a Longshot recipe or two, or three, all below 20 grains.

This larger wad will make a great yardage load with #6 shot which has the same pellet energy as a similar #7.5 lead load. Our club allows steel #6. Cut and paste these two references into your browser for actual data:

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.steelvslead.html

http://shotshell.drundel.com/steel.htm

Note steel has been shown to have a slightly looser pattern than lead by Dr. Andrew of this site. I don't have the link handy, but he stated so in a prior thread and in his book. Tight patterns requiring looser chokes has been a concern historically, but I feel the best advice is to use a choke manufactured for steel to avoid choke stretch and compare patterns yourself until you get what you want.

With the rising price of lead, I've decided to try this for a year, but will shoot up my supply of lead at other clubs.

Joe

2. joe kuhn

Picked up some Longshot to go along with my Universal Clays, so I'm just about ready. Will work on the exchange this week.

3. joe kuhn

Our targets are orange and the feeling you get from orange smoke is enough to make a trapshooter smile between stations.

Ever hear of the term 'smokification'? Up close, 1-1/8 ounces of #7 steel has a lot of pellets and they will do a job on a target.

It's working well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.