1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching From Red Dot To Green Dot<Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I tried and like this recipe, I used it up and went back to clays.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

not working to well.... 1oz 7.5, rem 209, tgt12 wad, 20grains green dot 1200fps sts hulls.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Drew, I have been using Green Dot since 1964 it works for me - inkballs targets and is easy on recoil. I use 20 gr for long yardage Handicap and about 18.3 gr for Singles. These are on the Alliant website for 1200 ft/sec and 1145 ft/sec.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

GD for the 1-1/8 ounce loads and RD or other faster powders for 1 or 7/8ths ounce is the way I see it working best. Hap

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Hap. Both Red Dot and Green Dot are great powders. But, if you believe the slower Green Dot will reduce your felt recoil, go for it.

Pat Ireland

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Personally, I prefer to keep pressures a little lower than you get using Red Dot for 1200fps 1 1/8oz loads.

With the component choices you've listed I'd recommend STS hull, W209 primer, 20gr Green Dot, Windjammer wad and 1 1/8oz hard shot for 1200fps. That puts you right in the sweet spot for Green Dot. Drop the charge to 19.1gr for 1150fps. I would not use the Winchester wad.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I am color blimd to red and green. Will this cause a problem? Also , more 100's in trap have been fired with red dot than any other powder. HMB

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I like Green Dot for 1 1/8 oz, 1200 fps loads. I also like Winchester Super Target (WST) for the same velocity/shot weight. You should be happy with either.

~Michael

9. JasonH

JasonH TS Member

Drew!

I used Red Dot and Green Dot alot, and I personally dont mind a strong load for "caps", but it is my opinion that for green dot powder and a 1 1/8 oz of shot, you need to stick with 20-21 gr. Recoil, if you are concerned with that should still not be a problem. If you are still in the mood to try a different powder instead of Red Dot, try using Promo for awhile. I think that you will like this powder for both singles and handicap. And it is cost effective because you dont need over 20gr for any load....
    18.5 gr(singles)- 19.5-19.8 gr(handicap).... good luck.......

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I feel the most complete powder burns occur at higher chamber pressures. That in turn may lead to lower SDs in handloads or a better balanced load. HMB posted this and maybe he has it right?

"Also , more 100's in trap have been fired with red dot than any other powder. HMB"

If given a choice of only two loads, I'd choose the higher pressure loading every time! I know powder manufacturers list all kinds of load data to choose from, some won't work the action on semi-autos reliably either. How can those loads have good SD numbers? They can't. Hap

11. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

ZZT.. Why do you recommend against the Winchester wad?

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Hap, the 19.1gr load I listed generates 8100psi according to Alliant and returns 10 shot SDs under 8 in any temp. I shot them in. The 20gr load generates 8600psi and SDs just under 12. Anything over 8000psi seems to be enough pressure.

Drew, if you are looking for higher pressures, cleaner burning and superb consistency consider American Select. With the components I listed above, 20gr Am Sel will give you about 1200fps. With an STS209 primer pressures will be about 9000psi. With a W209 about 10200psi. This is all according to Alliant. Check their manual.

Personally, I don't use that much powder, because I always seem to get more velocity for a given load than the manual says I should. I use 18.4 for 1150fps and 19.5 for 1200pfs. Both are stunningly consistent loads.

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

skarloey, I don't like the patterns I get from them. I get much more even patterns with the same PE using Windjammer (or DRM and Spolar clones) or Fig-8 wads.

14. mojet

mojet TS Member

My handicap load is 20.5 green dot in a Federal paper with federal wad and primer.

16's AA with only 17.0 green dot with aa wad and win. perimer and no problems.
    Larry Moses

15. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I have been shooting Red Dot Powder for all my Trap Shooting life. I shoot Nitro 27 hull, Claybuster wad for 1oz. The Pink ones. 16.5 Grains Red Dot, Winchester 209 Promer. A nice comfortable shoot out of a Remington 870. For Handycap I up the Powder to 17.5 Grains With 1oz. Shot same wad and Primer. Not a bad combination. Makes for a comfortable to shoot. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When it is said that Red Dot rules the roost in 100's shot, just realize how many eons it has been available! ;^)

When Green Dot came out, skeeters did not like it, and trappers did. May be for good reason. It may well put more bb's in the core.

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Pheasantmaster always maintained the Green Dot put more pellets in a 30-inch pattern than Red Dot. He sent me some and I dismantled half and put the shot into Red Dot shells with powder charges carefully matched to the measured speed of the Green Dot loads he sent.

The 8's were tested at 34 yards.

[​IMG]

Pheasantmaster was right. Most pellets were in the 10 to 20 ring. The 20 to 30 inch ring was not different for Red Dot and Green Dot. Since at 16 yards and a 0.023 choke with 8's the 10-20 inch area with Red Dot is a little “thin,” adding some pellets there might help, might get the odd target, maybe every few events of so.

The 7 1/2's were tested at 40 yards.

[​IMG]

The 20 to 30 inch area was similar, as was the 10 to 20. Nine more pellets are in the inner 10 inches, but since almost all the time there are enough pellets in that area, the best bet is that the scores would be the same.

And the shot-to-shot variability is such, in both cases, that you would never know what's happening unless you counted the pellets in a lot of patterns. You can't do this by eye. It's impossible.

Neil

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

The data from Neil and Martin has been confirmed by many others. The question I have is why, or how, does Green Dot do this? Other powders of similar burning rates do not seem to result in the slightly denser inner core. Do you believe in magic?

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.