1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching from one eye to two

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I was a right handed shooter with a left dominate eye. I had to shoot with my left eye closed. Most of my lost targets were caused by my left eye opening and looking for the bird.

What happens is that the right eye is the rear sight looking down the barrel. When the dominate left eye opens it sends an overiding picture to the brain that completely blocks the right eyes image sent for processing. As a result, most often when that dominate left eye opens all you see is the target and the left side of the barrel. The rear sight (your right eye) is no longer used and you new rear sight (your open left eye) is about three to four inches away from the correct alignment down the rib.

As a one eyed shooter I was able to attain a high "A" to a "AA" average on singles and made it to the 27 on HC.

I am just now returning to trap shooting after a 30 year layoff. Not one shell fired in all that time. I figure that since it will all be new to me after such a long layoff I may as well do it right and shoot with two eyes open this time. The only way I can do this is to switch to left handed. And so I did. I can not hit more than 22-23 yet but boy, I can see that bird like never before. My bigest problem is attaining the muscle memory necessary to be consistant, but I'll keep working at it.

If this helps anyone, I'm pleased. There is a strong message here regarding the instruction(s) given to a new shooter. After all, would anyone ever suggest playing golf, tennis, baseball, or even taking a walk around the block with one eye closed? I think not. If someone in the beginning would have instructed me to shoot left handed with two eyes open who knows what I may have accomplished.

Marc

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Go get'em Marc.

Oh, BTW, when you start having transient dominance problems with your left eye, just put tape on your right eye lense.

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

NHSC
    If I put tape on my right lense I may as well go back to shooting right handed and tape the left lense. Not going to happen. I am seeing the bird very well.
    I will pretend you are playing with me. I already have enough to think about. Everything is different from the left side. Even breaking open the gun feels strange. So far I see the target so well I have to force myself to slow down a little as compared to my one eye days. I can actually look around the gun with my right eye to pick up the bird that much quicker without any problem seeing the bird over the rib as it rises.

Thanks for the good wishes, Marc

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I am left eye dominant, right handed. I have all fitted stocks and that helps. I have shot a long time this way and switched to 2 eyes and it took me about a year to attain my old average. Since then I went to AA & 27 & B in doubles until old age snuck up one me.

5. wm rike

wm rike Member

I don't envy your task, but admire your spirit. If it helps any, a friend lost the sight of his master (right) eye some years ago. Not one to take no for an answer, he decided he would learn to shoot left-handed. It was awkward and frustrating at first, but in about a year he shot as comfortably and compotently left handed as he used to right handed. Mind over matter. Success to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.