1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching from 391 field model to trap stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bradym, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradym

bradym TS Member

Hi, I've got a basic Beretta 391 field model that I've been using for about 5 years, mostly for trap shooting, and the fit has always vexed me.

I had a chance to handle one of the new Teknys Gold Target models today, and, wow, that fit like a champ! Now I know why my shoulder always hurt with my 391, with the target model I could get the butt just that my further down my shoulder that it's no longer sitting right on the joint, and, more comfy for my next too.

Now, I suppose I could just drop $2K on a new gun, but before I do that, I wonder what options there are to get my current 391 fitting like that. My uninformed guess is that the main differences would be the rib, and the stock. I don't know if much can be done with the rib, but what sort of monte carlo / adjustable stocks are available for my 391? And, if I do swap my field stock for a monte-carlo style stock, do I really need a raised rib, or can one deal with a field-style rib in that case?

Thanks for any advice!

2. P3AT

P3AT Active Member

bradym, You can make some adjustments merely by switching the stock shims, contact Tron on this site and ask which shims will help you the most.

Failing that you could always search for another butt stock or have Tron install an adjustable comb to your stock.

The barrel on you gun probably has a narrow rib, either shoot that or add an additional rib or sell your barrel and buy a Trap/Sporting barrel.

Pat

3. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I shoot a Teknys and had to add adjustable butt to make it fit well, my son's 391 was a stock gun and we added adjustable comb and butt. It fits well and Tron did the work on both these guns, he does excellent work, I highly recommend him for your beretta modifications.

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

You could also look at the adjustable synthetic stocks made by Fitaski, or buy a used parallel target or trap stock for your 391. JM

5. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you need a parallel comb for your gun, I have them in the standard or Xtra-Grain style.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

6. bradym

bradym TS Member

Wow, thanks for the info. Now I'm trying to figure out the dimensions of the various beretta stocks.

On the Beretta site I see the chart listing the drop at comb and heel for the 391 trap, target, and sporting models.

I'm not finding numbers on their site for the Teknys target, and it looks it may differ a wee bit. Anyone happen to have that? Or, know of any authoritative and complete chart online?

Thanks again!

Brady

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.