1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching back to my diesel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cdconley, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

It looks like I might be switching back to my diesel truck again. I’m now driving my F150 gas truck because in this area diesel is .60 to .80 more then regular unleaded gas. But I was talking to a friend over the weekend that will be making a trip to Algadonos Mexico just 7 miles from my office. He was told by someone that diesel in Mexico was now $2.17 per gal. if that’s true its about $2.30 less then the cheapest place near me. I’ll keep you guys posted when I get the facts. In the mean time I’ll be researching putting on a 100 gal bed tank.

2. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

check into a trans flo tank system. Not cheap but my 70 gallon tank gives me near 2000 mile range.

The system is used by many folks with fifth wheel trailers.

Phil

3. boar

boar TS Member

Can someone tell me what a "trans flo tank system" is?

Thanks....boar

4. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

transfer-flo inc. Chico, Calif

They have tanks of different sizes. The tanks can have an automatic fuel pump and sensor system that basicly moves fuel from the new tank into your trucks standard tank when the fuel level gets below approx 3/8 tank reading on your trucks fuel gauge. It does this until the back tank (new) goes empty.

I carry 105 gallons total and when the back tank runs out, I have about 16 gallons left in the trucks original tank. And have gone a long distance.

Phil

5. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Ok, just got confirmation on the price of diesel in Mexico. My buddy just got back, after converting liters to gallons and pesos to dollars the bottom line was $2.10 cents per gallon. Also I talked to a guy that buys it for commercial use (limited) and he claims that it’s much better then the current “ultra low sulfur diesel” we’re forced to use here. Meaning that like diesel of 10 or more years ago, it’s better for your truck.

Next step, I’m getting a passport, cleaning out my truck to make sure there are no hidden 12 ga. shells, getting an annual Mexican insurance policy and buying as close to a 100 gal tank for the bed as I can find. Viva Mexico!

6. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

How much for regular unleaded in Mexico?

7. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

comp1,

I'm not sure I have not checked but I've heard that it's higher then here. Seems Mexico is smarter then anyone gives them credit for. They send their criminals and dead beats here (illegally). And on fuel they keep the diesel down to help trucking and business in general while raising the cost of fuel for the normal consumer. BTW, it's 100% government owned fuel and 100% domestically produced. Go figure!

8. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Yes diesel is way less than here in the US. If you are smart you have a 100 aux tank and fill it up there.
    Read up on the link here over on the Pirate4x4.com site about Mexican diesel.
    Hit the link under the website spot above and read through the posts.

9. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

5spd,

Thanks some of the info was good some I kind of wonder about.

10. flylta

flylta TS Member

Be careful with the tran-flow tank. They are not legal in all states. here in the southeast you can not have a tank in the bed plumbed into the fuel system, you have to stop and pump it into the truck tank, but with an electric pump it goes quickly.

Ron

11. DB3006

DB3006 Member

One other thing to be careful about; If the Mexican diesel is not ultra-low then it is illegal in the States. I think the fine is quite high and could include jail time. I read somwhere that the feds are keeping an eye on it.

Dave

12. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Dave, where did you read that?

13. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Just got back from my trip to Mexico. Just over 30gal for $65.00. Saved at least $80 on that tank. Also stopped for lunch and had a huge shrimp cocktail. Then to the drug store to get a few drugs. Here co-pay is $15 each down there $6 for one $9 for the other. So add the drug savings and my lunch time trip saved me about $95. Next purchase will be the 100gal trans tank. Should almost be able to pay for one in one trip savings.

14. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I don't believe the diesel thing being illegal. Thousands of trucks a day both U.S. and Mexican cross the southern border and no one is checking to see if the tanks are full of ultra low sulfer fuel. They are checking for dye.

As was said above, a "personal use" tank of a hundred gallons or less is not even going to cause an eye brow to raise. Bring in 500 gallons in your dually and you are going to get stopped.

Common sense is all. . .

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

cdconley, what color is the diesel that you got in Mexico?

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

CD any thoughts about having a large, 500-1000 gal storage tank at home and filling it up with cheap mexican diesel? I know I would if I lived down there.

Jim

17. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

For those of you that think it might be illegal, when I crossed back into the US I was ask what I was bringing in from Mexico. My answer included a full tank of diesel.

As for the color, looks just like the diesel I buy here (no red die if that’s what you’re asking)

Jim101,

The next step is to get a transfer tank, a buddy of mine has a new, steel, 110gal that he said he’d sell me for $300. Darn thing is going to take me two fill ups to pay for it’s self. One fill up should last me a month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.