1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switched to one eye.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cmmonaco78, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

I have been shooting with both eyes since I started trapshooting, about 6 months ago. Yesterday an A class shooter where I shoot was helping me and suggested I shoot one eyed. I noticed that shot much better this way. Is this good, bad or indifferent in regards to my long term advancement as a trapshooter. Thanks in advance.

Christopher Monaco

2. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

I have been shooting with both eyes since I started trapshooting, about 6 months ago. Yesterday an A class shooter where I shoot was helping me and suggested I shoot one eyed. I noticed that shot much better this way. Is this good, bad or indifferent in regards to my long term advancement as a trapshooter. Thanks in advance.

Christopher Monaco

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Christopher:

Have you checked to see which of your eyes is dominant? If you shoot right handed and your right eye is not strongly dominant, then try putting a small piece of electrical tape on the left lens of your shooting glasses. Locate it carefully so that, when you're in the shooting position, it blocks the left eye from seeing the target. Shoot several rounds this way. If it helps, you can purchase dedicated dots that are made for this purpose (e.g. Magic Dots, which are translucent). The idea is to just obsure the left eye's view a bit in order to force the right eye to run the show -- not to eliminate the left eye completely.

Most world-class shooters keep both eyes open. There are some exceptions though.

Good luck.

-Gary

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Since you said you "noticed that you shot much better this way" I'd say then it was GOOD. Many of us (myself included) can't shoot consistently with both eyes open. Better than just squinting try the tape thing that Gary suggested except instead of electrical tape, use Scotch "magic" tape and then don't bother with the "magic dots". Make sure that the tape is placed so when the gun is mounted normally the tape obscures at least the front half of the gun including the muzzle.
    REALLY look around at any shoot and you might be surprised at how many you see with a piece of tape on one lens of their shooting glasses.

John C. Saubak

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention the Scotch Tape option. Good point.

-Gary

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have shot a shotgun with both eyes open for 57 years but now I have increasing problems with my left eye trying to take over and I'm gonna have to use the tape patch on my left lens.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You haven't been shooting long enough to get use to using two eyes. Don't change now. Two eyes are much better than one when doing anything, including shooting. But, only (I've heard?) about 10% of all shooters are able to use both eyes trap shooting. So, your lucky in that respect.

8. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

Thanks for the responses. If I use the tape and keep both eyes open do I use both eyes to find my target window? Or do I still use one for that keeping my left eye behind the tape?

Thanks

CM

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have always shot with one eye. I'm an old rifle shooter and habits are hard to brake.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

CM,

Don't try to look around the tape with your left eye.

John C. Saubak

11. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Christopher,
    I have shot both ways. I currently shoot with both eyes with tape on the lens of my off eye. I think the placement and size of the tape is the most crucial. I had to experiment extensively to get it right. It took me about 30 rounds to find the perfect placement and size. Now that I have it right I am shooting better than I ever have. Be patient and stick with it. It can be a frustrating process.

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Use the way that breaks the most targets. Thats your best way. Clyde

13. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

if you just started to shoot it is the FIRSAT and foremost thing you MUST know and that is what eye is dominant. No arguments, no excuses and no ill advise. Once you know this, that knowledge should dictate the way you shoot.

14. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

When using 2 eyes your depth perception is increased and you see almost everything all around, plus more do not limit, restrict yourself Lee

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I did the opposite... switched from one eye to two eyes with the use of a Uni-Dot.

This is an aluminum tube with a fiberoptic rod in it. Your shooting eye sees the dot. your non-shooting eye does not. You focus with both eyes on the clay, and with peripheral vision, bring the dot to the clay. Do not ever look directly at the dot. Just like looking directly at the bead, you'll miss.

It is not a magic overnight cure. Took me a month of worse scores before I wound up shooting better. Uni-Dots are installed on all of my ribbed shotguns.

These are sold in various sizes. I'm using the 2mm size adhesive model with interchangeable rods. Not that I switch colors, but rather they are quick to replace if I break one. Have only broken one in the last decade, and that was in heavy brush in the field. Took me less than a minute to swap the rod, and most of that was fishing out a replacement from my shirt pocket.

The main thing about the Uni-Dot is that it allows 3D vision. The ol' tape on the glasses was such an annoyance that I could not hit anything. And it kills 3D vision. For me it was better to keep shooting with one eye.

16. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

I also started as a two eyed shooter, but I found out that I have a cross dominance problem (Shoot right handed, but my left eye is dominant) so I shoot one eyed now. I ended up trying the scotch tape blocking part of my left lens, tried taping the whole lens with scotch tape, ended up finding out that my left eye can become so dominant that I was seeing the yellow lens with the tape instead of the target and gun. I ended up going to the whole lens being taped with black electrical tape to completely deprive my left eye of any information.

Moral of the story, try everything listed here and find what works for you. Check your eye dominance first, it will save you time.

17. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

cmmonaco78:

What's already been posted is pretty good but the piece meal nature of it may be confusing. Here's mostly the same info but better organized for clarity.

1. Eye dominance is a critical issue. The content of your posts suggest you may be a right handed shooter with a dominant left eye.

The ideal situation is a strongly dominant eye that is on the same side as your handedness. An example is a right handed shooter with a strongly dominant right eye.

Cross dominance is when one's handedness is out of synch with one's dominant eye. An example of this is a right handed shooter with a dominant left eye. If not addressed, cross dominance is a problem that will cost you targets.

2. If my assumption above is incorrect and your handedness and dominant eye are on the same side, make every effort to shoot with both eyes open. Here's why...

Both eyes are capable of picking up targets quicker as they emerge from the trap house. Once you visually pick up the target, depth perception with two eyes is better than with one eye. That helps you to properly point the gun. Simply stated, two eyes are better than one and it is to your advantage to use both, if possible.

Unfortunately, shooting with both eyes open isn't always possible. For cross dominant shooters, the best option is shooting with one eye shut OR partially obscuring the 'wrong side' dominant eye. Tape and 'dots' are ways to partially obscure the dominant eye. There are others, but we'll stick with tape for now.

Put the tape on the UPPER part of the lens. Keep the BOTTOM of the dominant eye's lens unobstructed. This is so you have the advantage of using BOTH eyes to acquire the target as it emerges from the house. As you move the gun to the target, both of your eyes shift upward. Your NON-DOMINANT eye continues to focus on the target. The dominant eye moves up and behind the tape where it is prevented from becoming a problem.

Getting the tape location correct takes some experimentation. Keep in mind it doesn't work for some shooters no matter where it is put.

Hope this helps.

sissy

18. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

Thanks to everyone. I wanted to clarify a few variables in regards to my post. I am a right handed shooter and right eye dominant. I also had my stock fitted to me and this was the first time shooting with a gun that truly fit me. I also patterned the gun and found the POI. The Class A shooter that helped me did more than just suggest that I shoot one eyed. I shot over 75 targets on an empty trap with him watching and coaching me. He helped me with my foot positioning on all stations, hold points, and target acquisition. He did all of this free of charge on his own time. I am extremely grateful to him for this. I am pretty sure this kind of help and coaching dosn't come cheap or free that often. So again, I am very grateful for all his help. He also suggested that I shoot one eyed and as my skills progress I might want to switch back to two eyed. Again thanks to all for tHe responses I am going to experiment with the tape and try to find what works for me.

Regards,
    CM

19. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I find this strange that one would suggest you shoot one eyed and then later go to both. Did he explain his reasoning?

Bryan

20. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The overwhelming consensus is that two eyes are the best choice when no debilitating limitations are present. You are a new shooter who should be practicing correct fundamentals. Kudos to your mentor for his time with you, however I'll go out on a limb. He is absolutely wrong suggesting you try anything other than two eyes unless your vision is flawed.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.