1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switchblades are Illegal but

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Switchblades are illegal but assisted knives are not. I was told if you can open a knife with one hand its a switchblade and that makes it illegal. Then why isn't the assisted knives that you can open with one hand illegal?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Got me but i'll tell you my Kershaw Spring assisted knife is a one hand operation and fast. Hard to tell the difference in speed compared to my actual switchblade. I have always wondered the same thing.

matt

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Finnally a good winter topic. LOL. I in the dark as well. Is this not a law that would vary from state to state??? What does O'bamy say about it. Break-em all. Jeff

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Switchblades are legal to possess and carry, but it depends on which state you live in.

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Switchblades generally open automatically with the push of a button etc. They are not always illegal, as posted above it depends on your state. A knife that opens by centrifical force may also be illegal, although it is not a switchblade. Again, read your stats's law.

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

exactly what 870 said... In Indiana, it is a class B misdemeanor to possess a switchblade that opens on "it's force" as opposed to the other knives that require a substantial movement of the knife to open the blade whether it be whipping it or flicking your thumb...

Subtle difference and if the user assisted knives came at 30 years ago then I am sure a lot of state laws would have been amended, but at this point I don't believe to many law makers are concerned...

Indiana law....

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anybody have any they want to sell? Bulge.

8. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Bulge, click the site above and buy all you want.

9. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

What's the point in carrying a knife when everyone else is carrying guns? :)

10. grntitan

Hawk--Nobody said the knives were for protection. If you don't undertsand the usefullness of a good pocket knife, you don't need one. What are you gonna shoot a package open?

I did notice you posted your knife choice on the other thread. You got me........

Matt

11. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Hey Titan, I don't need a switchblade to open a package, I carry a 2 1/2" Buck for that. And yes, there have been a few plastic wrap packages I'd have shot if my wife hadn't stopped me, LOL.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Hey, You have to have a pocket knife if you shoot Rio's or Keman's because the boxes are taped closed and are quite nerve racking to open by hand. You can tear the box wide open with shells all over the ground. I don't feel dressed if I don't have a pocket knife in my pocket. Break-em all. Jeff

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Those Kershaw assisted opening knives are really handy - no fumbling around to get the blade out and locked and ready to go to work. Nice to get that all done with just one hand. It is just a good tool - weaponizing it is a matter of intent.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Hey Titan, I don't need a switchblade to open a package, I carry a 2 1/2" Buck for that"

Just curious you understand but if you were referring to switch blades why did you say,

"What's the point in carrying a knife when everyone else is carrying guns?"

You weren't talking about switch blades so why the change?? That isn't an honest tactic in a discussion, Changing the subject from one post to the next.

Bob Lawless

15. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

After a career at sea spaning 42 years, I carry a minimum of 2 knives at all times. I have a Schrade folder in a case on my right hip, and a cheap semi-serrated blade folder in my left back pocket. I chose a cheap knife because if I had to get it out and use it one handed, I was liable to drop it and lose it over the side, as I am right handed. If I could have found a decent switchblade with good steel in the blade for a reasonable price, I would have used that. At sea I usually wore my rigging kit on a custom knotted belt. This kit consisted of a fixed blade pointless 4 1/2" knife, a marlin spike, a shackle key, and a set of heavy pliers.
    On a recent hunting trip, we were comparing knives one night, and all three of us (all retired sailors) were carrying at least two all the time. When I went through my pack I found a Wyoming knife, a heavy bladed skinning knife, a light skinning knife, a caping knife, and a bone saw. There was also a single bladed Swiss Army knife on my key chain, for a total of seven knives and a saw. It may seem like a lot of blades, but they each have a specific job to do, and anyone who uses knives regularly will know that he right knife can make the job at hand much easier.

16. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Ivanhoe, the comment about everyone carrying guns was simply intended as a window on today's society - a bit of humor that apparently you didn't find very funny; and I WAS referring to switchblade knives. Didn't intend for anyone to interpret it literally or take offense so I apologize if you did. I think most people caught my drift. I have nothing against switchblades. I don't carry one but I can see where they might serve a defensive purpose in certain circumstances.

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I carry a cheapie. It has maybe a two inch blade and it is a manual two handed operation to open it.

The reason I carry a cheap knife is because I have lost every good high priced knife I have owned when I carried them daily.

With my cheap knife, I just cannot lose it. Oh sure, it may be be gone for a week or two, but it always turns up. Not like my high priced knives that never come back to me.

Works for me!

Hauxfan!

18. Sock Eating Golden

Sock Eating Golden TS Member

The general answer to the why are switch blades illegal and assisted knives legal question is... Kershaw and other "Assisted-Opening" knives you have to actually touch the blade to open it. Whether it is the thumb stud or the "flipper" that sticks through the frame. Of course all areas have different laws so YMMV.

19. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Got a laugh out of that sign-on name.

20. grntitan

Hauxfan---So true--So True. That expensive or meaningful knife will disappear forever but that cheap POS will sniff its way home everytime. Funny how that works.

I had bought my dad an actual mini Victorinox Swiss Army Knife for his birthday one year. He carried that sucker everywhere for years and years. When my Dad passed away in 1999 my Mom gave it back to me. I decided to carry it daily as a way of keeping something my Dad cheerished close to me. I lost that SOB within one month. I'm still sick over that. I've had my Kershaw that i like but don't care that much about for years and it always comes back home. Go figure!!

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.