1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

switch from right hand to left

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Diva, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diva

Diva TS Member

Question: What is your opinion of a left eyed dominate shooter that has shot for 7 years right handed with absolutely no success learning to shoot from the left?

2. Diva

Diva TS Member

By the way, I've tried the dot, tape, and closing the left eye.

3. 45er

45er TS Member

I think it is the only way you will ever truly learn to effectively shoot a shotgun. My guess is that within 6 months, you'll wonder why you waited so long. I would start with "blinding" the right side of your shooting glasses to get the sight picture "memory bank" started, then remove it and learn to shoot with both eyes open. I have a friend who had a degenerative problem in his right retina, so he had to switch. It didn't take him long to start busting the sporting clays and skeet targets with ease. I was with him when he shot his first 25 straight at skeet left handed. Good luck. Rob

4. PhCr

PhCr Member

I changed from right to left 5 years ago.I wish I had done it a lot sooner.It took me a good year to get use to it. I just started the new year out left handed and broke a lot of bad scores for most of the year but I keep at it and it has paid off. Just get ready to shoot bad for a while ,it is just like learning to shoot all over,just dont get dicoureged.I shoot for 20 years right handed with one eye.I made the 27yrd line that way but just couldnt brake anything from back there so I new I had to change.It took me a couple of years to make it back to the 27yrd left handed.

Phillip Crenwelge
    Phillip's Gunsmithing
    210-313-5988

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Bob Brister talked about this in his book and he was a strong proponent of doing exactly what you propose. Jeff

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you are left eye dom shoot left handed both eyes open. You will be in your right mind then. It took me a spell but I improved more in 1 year than I ever did shooting righty with a dot on my left lens.

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

It seems it's been done successfully many times! What the heck....try it if you need to!

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Diva, I am a one eye shooter, fairly sucessful. When you say not sucessful can you define that? Also it all depends on you, and what you feel your limits are. I for one would never even try it.I am not graceful, nor have the left hand coordination to try.....however you may have. My other question have you got good instruction form another one eye shooter???

GS

9. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I read somewhere once several years ago that if you put a patch over your right dominate eye, and leave it on constantly for 3 weeks, your dominance will change to the left eye.

Has anyone else read this, or tried it?

Jim

10. peavine

peavine TS Member

I didn't have a choice not to switch to left hand. In 2004, my m.s. relapsed, damaging the optic nerves in the right eye. While I still have very good peripheral vision in the eye, right in the center is dark. In the years I shot right handed I only managed two one hundred straights and broke my first hundred straight left handed in 2006. So, you can do it, as has been suggested, try some tape or a dot on the right lens and go to it. Jonathan Taylor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.