1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

switch from 30" to 32" OU barrel worth it?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1max1molly, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1max1molly

1max1molly TS Member

switch from 30

Been shooting some fine scores this year in league. Last year 46.6 with a 25 yd handicap. This year looks to be 47 with 26yd handicap. I am doing this with a Beretta 682X 30" OU because I like just shooting one gun for everything. Looking to replace with a 682 32" Optima barrel with high rib. Would it help in pattern, recoil and sighting plain? Has anyone made this change and seen it help thier scores? I have an adjustable comb. Would going to a higher rib require comb to be raised also? thank you

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

switch from 30

might not work for you - might be worse- it is for most people I think-
    percentage wise

more mass - more moment arm at the muzzle- means that if you make a wrong move you are more committed-

Unless you are a smooth shooter- no pushes or lifts or pulls- to your motion- your scores will go down--

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

switch from 30

If you want the 32" Optima O/U, $845.00. Chokes not included.
    MIke Battista
    727 410 5212

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

switch from 30

Your asking a question that only you can ultimately answer for yourself.

Since you are thinking of getting a barrel with a high rib you are shooting a gun currently with a monte carlo or a straight stock with an adjustable comb right? Just thought I would ask since the high rib will change everything in relation to the stock fit of your gun.

Your questions will get a myriad of responses, both technical this and that along with personal opinions but in the end only you will be able to answer the questions of is it worth it.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

switch from 30

Mike ... you might have a fantastic operation for the trap community in Florida but all I see of you and know of you is all the great deals you always have on TS.com. Every time somebody asks a question about anything you might currently have for sale you jump in to advertise ... some people may not mind it but to me your involvement with TS.com is for business and how much money you can make by advertising what you have.

If the original poster wants a good deal on anything Beretta he should contact Joel Etchen, a person that does not need to advertise to make money. Just recently while shopping for a new O/U I compared many including Joel and Silver Dollar and with shipping and transfer fees a gun from Joel was almost 2-1/2 flats of Wally World STS's less than Silver Dollar. I have compared many deals of Silver Dollar to other e-tailers and they really dont offer any great bang for the buck deals. If you want anything Beretta contact the man who is basicly the Beretta Man of the USA.

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

switch from 30

A longer shotgun barrel will offer no discernable advantage in recoil, pattern, or sighting plane.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

switch from 30

I have 2 - 682 combos, one is 28/32 the other is 32/34. I started with the shorter set and did well. When I got the combo with the longer tubes, the gun felt heavy and slow and it took some getting use to. I prefer the longer barrels now and kept the other combo for a back up. If you are continually improving with the gun you have then by all means stick with it. Sounds like you are posting some good scores. Your money will be better spent on ammo and range fees than wiz bang adjusto gadgets.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

switch from 30

Ya know ... I totally forgot one thing I recently was told, tried and have found out.

I was wobbling myself on a new purchase and was debating on 30" or 32". It was told to me that with my body size and my height that a 32" might take a little more to swing but once I get used to it and such a 32" will actually be a smother swing for my. If I had been a smaller stature shooter a 30" would have been better for overall swingability.

Take it for what its worth but depending on your stature 32" might overall be a better choice than a 30" since your using it for all aspects of shotgun sports.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

switch from 30

Mike Battista- I appreciate your contributions to this site. You make prompt responses and if you have anything to sell, the price is clearly stated. Now 1max can check others prices.

See you next Winter at the Dixie Grand.

Pat Ireland

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

switch from 30

Pat ... yes it is appreciated but his contribution to TS.com could be more than just his offerings. Couldnt it?

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

switch from 30

Let me add to my above post

I dont think body size matters at all

I think what matters is how much you have shot and how much you shoot- the longer the barrel- the more momentum is going in a certain direction--

If you shoot a lot and have a very smooth swing- shoot several times a week and have studied the game- the gun fits you- maybe a longer barrel might make a small difference

If you dont shoot a lot and or everything isnt perfectly smooth- think about it- you are trying to overcome more inertia and then when you get it going (later) its in the wrong direction slightly and your visual plane is now futher from the target

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

switch from 30

The way it was explained and shown to me was body heftier body size with a shorter barrel gets it going faster and has a whippier effect than a smaller framed shooter where a longer barrel has a smoother swing.

It may be one of those hullaballoo theories but there are many of those types of theories already on TS.com.

13. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

switch from 30

If you decide to switch, understand that there may be a new "learning curve" while your shooting habits (mind, muscle, and moves) adapt to the new physical characteristics of the longer barrel, its weight, rib height, etc. It may be the right thing to do, but you may not know for awhile as you adapt. My comments are based on watching others make changes and then work to adapt. Some adapt sooner than others and enjoy a success...some eventually give up and wish they had just continued to improve with their old gun configuration. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Best regards, Ed

14. 1max1molly

1max1molly TS Member

switch from 30

I missed 3 targets last night. Mental mistakes. Swung thru them all. Longer barrel would neve of helped as mentioned but might actually cause more problems. I think I'll follow the advice and stick with what I have and spend the money on practice and forget the magic bullet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.