1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Swedish Mauser M38 experiences??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I have the chanve to buy a very nice (all matching) Swedish Mauser M38 for $ 150.00. I thought that I have see these for $ 300-400.00. The gun would be a back up deer rifle. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks in advance...Randy

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The most accurate rifles in that price range. I had one, sub 1" group @ 100 yard is very normal.

My friend's sister shot 2 deers in Wisconsin with her M38, the 6.5 mm did the job well. I still have some sausage made from her hunt in my freezer.

3. Argentina

Argentina TS Member

The 6.5x55 is an outstanding round. We have several of the surplus Swedish Mausers that we use here in Alabama for Deer. Have also taken one to south Texas on a Deer hunt and it preformed...every shot produced a Deer on the ground.

If I was going to have a custom rifle built for deer hunting here in the USA, 6.5x55 would be my choice. Great shooting, flat trajectory and mild recoil.

That rifle for $150 is a steal....you can't go wrong buying it. 2 flats of AA's are more than you can buy the rifle for !!!

After you buy it, give us a report on how it shoots.

4. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Ditto on what everyone said, they are super accurate and the quality is amazing. That 6.5 swede round is very underated. I'd love to find one for that price.

5. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for the valuable info! I will purchase it tomorrow. What ammo. do you recommend for WT deer? My understanding is that the rifle was designed to shoot 140 gr.?

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I second it....probably the most accurate and best built normal battle rifle in the world...You will only be possibly outshot by the AR's and M1A's (match)...a good 03A3 will be right close too

7. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I have had several Swedish Mausers. Quality is better than about anything produced today at any price. One problem: these rifles shoot HIGH. At 100 yards, even with the tangent sight in its lowest (fold down) position, all my rifle shot 11-12" high...these rifles were regulated for trench warfare across "no man's land".

You can get scope mounts I believe, but they are not all that great.

I moved on to a Swiss K31, which shoots to point of aim at 100 yards, and 7.5 Swiss soft point ammo is cheap and available. These rifles are more accurate than the Swedish Mausers in my opinion.

Both are exceptionally well made.

Jef

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have read that the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser has successfully been used by Swedish hunters and explorers on numerous Polar Bear and countless Moose using the 160 grain soft point bullet. Yes, a 30-06 or .30 cal magnum would be better but the Swedes used what they had.

For Whitetail deer, a 140 grain soft point would be more appropriate.

National match ammunition for the 6.5 x 55 used to be offered by Federal and probably still is by a European manufacturer. It is one of the worlds truly great cartridges.

Ed Ward

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Norma makes a very good 139 grain..or at least years ago.. Great gun.. and shell.. A file trim die will be useful..and a 6mm Remington or 7 Mauser will yield brass if you have a problem getting 6.5X55 .Once passed thru a resizing die and trimmed.. you're good to go.. All Good.. Mike

10. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks again for all the great info. I picked it up today and I'm pleased with it.

11. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

I used to have a C&R and the 6.5x55 was my favorite to collect. I built a sporter out of a non matching and it was one of the most accurate rifles I have owned. As far as the issued shooting high, in my days, we would replace the front site with a higher and that would solve the problem.

The only drawback is reloading for one. All of the ones I had had a very deep throat and sometimes there was very little of the round left to crimp to get it to the right length. Mine would shoot handload 120 and 140 grains about the same.

Van

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Let's see some pics FIB.

13. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have two of these great rifles. One is in perfect condition, all matching numbers and the other a shooter. In great condition and numbers match but has a peep sight for the rear (helps with that high shooting problem). As others have said, great little rifles that really perform.

As to the crimp problem mentioned, have you tried the Lee factory crimp die? Works great for me..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how does the m38 swedish mauser shoot

m38 mauser review

m38 swedish mauser loads

m38 swedish shooters

mauser m38

swedish m38

swedish mauser m38

swedish mauser whitetail deer video