1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sweaty trigger hand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dds4horse, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I have been noticing my trigger hand has been sweaty, when it was hot I could understand but in the cool weather? I was wondering if this happens to any of you and if there are any remedies for it. I was considering using rosin but was not sure if it might damage the guns finish or trigger. Thanks...Oscar

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You may have a medical problem.

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I also have the sweaty hand problem. It has a tendency to cause the start of rust on my Receiver. Merlyn (merlyns Guns) suggested using baby oil rubbed into your skin until it disapears. Well, it works for me. He also said that using a glove only makes the probem worse as the leather on the glove only accumuates the salt from the sweat making it more concentrate. And yes I do keep pleanty of oil on my gun.

Bob

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Use light weight shooting gloves. The Browning and Bob Allen Synthetics can be washed. I have the same issue and my guns have no damage and look like new.

5. calldan

calldan Member

I Use Baseball gloves, I have the same problem/

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Foot Joy Golf gloves. Buy a few, one gets sweaty use another.

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The continuous sweat on your gun will damage the finish. A guy I shoot with won't buy a blued gun for this reason. Only nickle or stainless. Most use the glove, but I don't like the reduced touch/feel you get from gloves. i don't even use them in cold weather shooting, just a mitten between rounds. Lot of nerve endings in a fingertip. If I had the problem I would try anti perspirant, and make sure I wipe the gun after shooting. Bill

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Oscar: I wish you'd have used your sweaty hand to put the SMACKDOWN on Harlan in that calcutta today. LOL, easier said than done. Next time.

-Gary

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

When it's hot I sweat! When competing, I sweat, I just learned to shoot wet.

Finish is secondary on my shooting tool.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've worn a golf glove on my trigger hand since 1978. I prefer a FootJoy synthetic leather glove. Keeps a solid grip on the gun even when wet.

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've known shooters to use a rosin bag. I carried one for a while to try, but my hands never really get that sweaty so I never tried it.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Kay puts something on his hand, I see him use it during some shootoff's. (also has the gooey tape on the grip.}

13. Brandon401401

Brandon401401 TS Member

Try using a weight lifting glove on your shooting hand. works great for me.

14. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

I use a Footjoy golf glove with the index (trigger) finger cut out of it, as I like to have full contact with my trigger. Works great! Just throw them away when they get too grungy. Low cost and works like a charm.

15. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

Well shot today a nice cool day and still a little sweaty. I'm pretty sure it is not affecting my shooting except that it is another thought creeping into my mind that it might. I'm going to try right guard a glove and some rosin and if that fails.....anyone know a good sports psychologist?

16. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

If your issue is not a medical condtion, head to your local sporting good store or tennis shop and find the racket handle tape. I use black tennis wrap wround the pistol grip. It is a thin fabric, absorbant and flexible enough to wrap where you want it or where need it. You can use a lot or just a couple layers to suit your need and feel.

It comes in a roll about 2" wide, various colors too.

It also helps me identify & find my gun when the sweat in my eyes blurs the guns on the rack :)

js in PA

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Problem solved!!
    oleolliedawg_2008_0303960.jpg

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I would think that rosin build up would be bad. As in a sticky gunked up mess. A glove with the index finger cut off would be better. Oh, and maybe you should relax a little. LOL

19. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Note: I do not use the tape that Oleowliegawg posted, although it may suit you. I found that tourny grip tape to be too thick and not flexible enough to wrap effectively around the bends in the pistol grip.

Look for the 2" wide tape in a free standing roll; (Mueller Tape is one name). It is only about $4.00 per roll. It feels like thin mesh fabric that clings to itself and is easy to wrap around the grip and cut/tear where you want it to stop.

After you shoot with it a few times, you may have to rewrap a little better the 2nd time around because the tape may separate at the end, and you'll want to move the end to a different spot.

I use about 2" width, but you can try as much or as little that suits your needs.

js in PA

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Zanax helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.