1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

swapping rem 1100 barrels

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trap junkie, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap junkie

trap junkie TS Member

i could not find my answer in "search"
    i shoot a Rem 1100 12 ga with 2-3/4" barrel. I have a chance to pickup a Hastings 30" barrel, choke tubes, but 3" chamber. What happens when I put it on my standard 12 ga Rem? Will action still have enough gas to function?
    I shoot 1 oz trap loads. Thanks, Jim

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

No it will not have enough gas to function and you can't shoot 3 inch shells on a standard reciever. Why bother with all this? what is wrong with the barrel you shoot now? I can see it if your barrel is 28 and you want a 30 but if you shoot a 30 now I can't see any reason to switch to a 30 inch field barrel that may shoot lower then your trap barrel? Then again you didn't say it you have a trap gun or trap barrel. More info! Jeff

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check the new barrel and see how many gas ports it has. If it has two you are good to go. If it has one small one it can be enlarged until the gun functions. HMB

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Jeff, I don't know how common it is, but I installed a Hastings 3 inch barrel on my 1100 and have shot numerous 3 inch shells with buckshot and it cycled fine. It was a 2 3/4 gun and all I did change was the barrel. Jackie B.

5. trap junkie

trap junkie TS Member

hmb - thanks for your answer. It made me remember the two versus one gas port deal.

jackie b - i shoot trap loads.

thanks for the answers, I will vote with my feet and leave it to a magnum fan

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I failed to finish my statement. With trap and skeet loads the 3 inch barrel would not cycle most of the time. I drilled another tiny whole and it works great. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.