1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SUV Recommendations

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by loophole, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

Gentlemen: My 04 Blazer's tranny went. I haven't had much luck with Chevys. Give me the benefit of your experience with other SUV's. The inexpensive one
    's please. Thinking of a Subaru Forester. Any comments. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Bought an '05 Expedition Eddie Bauer new because it was too good a deal to pass on at the time. I have put 57,000 miles on it with zero probs. Great gas mailage on the road if you keep the speed down. In town, accelerating 6,000 lbs evey two blocks is expensive.

With the fold down seats it is very versatile from hauling my gear to hauling my extended family. Daughter liked it so much they bought a used '06 for $12,900 last week.

YMMV

HBT

3. Bulldog50

Bulldog50 TS Member

I have been very happy with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's a 97 4WD with the inline 6 cylinder engine. 167,000 miles. Still gets 17 mpg city, 24 hwy. No major repairs needed, but the tranny does need fliud changes more often than other vehicles I've had (about every 12 k miles). I've read the v-6s are not as good on gas, and the v-8s are even worse.

It's is actually a good time to buy a vehicle. Prices are down and rebates are high. Most peopel are getting away from SUV's, but if you need one, the prices have fallen. Financing may be an issue, but I'm sure not as big a one as they are reporting on the news. If I were in your shoes I would look at the Grand Cherokee or the new Commander. I'd research Consumer Reports thouroghly and other online reviews.

Chrysler (Jeep) does not seem to be in as bad a shape as GM.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You don't buy decent SUVs anymore. You build them.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    But if you want a modern, urban SUV, we're still happy with our 2004 Toyota RAV4. 28mpg, peppy, pleasure to drive. Does OK in slick conditions. It's not a serious off road vehicle, though. But it is a lot more "civilized" than my FJ40, which, make no bones about it, is a truck.

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I have a 2006 Yukon Denali and just love it. 50k miles and zero problems. The AWD package works fabulous.

Mike

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think the forrester is the best of gas ones

Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Diesel

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Subaru Forester is the BEST Quality SUV out there. We have had zero issues with our 2000, and the 2009s are much better! Toyota's RAV4 is a close second.

AndyH

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

forester or subaru in general here in SE mass. Might be the salt or what ever,
    Lots of wheel bearings 80% on the rear. Brakes and your basic T belt water pump and crank/cam seal job at 100K. Everything under side seems to cold weld and rot together.

9. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I bought a Toyota FJ Cruiser when they first came out for around 28,000 now because of the way that things are I hear that they are selling for a LOT Less, it is 4X4 and in the back section has all kinds of rings and things to tie my guns down, I put a 4' table ( bought it seperatly and it goes over the wheel wells in the back and it makes a nice shelf for my guns and underneat I store all of my shells and bags, Now you have to use at least 91 octane gas in it but I Love it, I get around 20.5 around town and 24 mpg on a long trip, and best of all it ia a Toyota <a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view┬Ąt=USB90TOS172A0.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

To Pull-Pull: Where did you find the sbc as an option when you purchased that Toyota? I never saw where to check off that option when I ordered one back in '74.

11. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

I bought a Rav 4 for my daughter in L.A. and she loves it. I bought it because she wanted it. I don't think she has to ford any water to get to work, or back home. In fact, I do not think I have ever seen a dirty SUV anywhere. Do they ever go off-road?

12. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Toyota 4runner late 90s current. Subaru, late 90s to current Ford (ugh) explorers. All are better than the rest in that size, nice handling, fair gas milage to the mid-high 20s on road.
    Ive owned all of these with no issues ever besides regular maintenance.

13. letts

letts TS Member

Youkon XL My 2006 has tons of room. No problems at 42000 miles. Recent trip to Lake of the woods to hunt deer with four paasengers and gear we averaged 19.6 MPG ror the trip. I love it.

Letts

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The Forester is a great choice. Roomy enough with good fuel economy.
    Very reliable!

15. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Toyota Sequoia.

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a Jeep Cherokee straight 6 and a new Jeep Patriot. The Cherokee gets about 22 mpg on the road and the Patriot gets about 30 mpg. I use the Cherokee for off road hunting and the Patriot for lots of highway travel. The Patriot with a 5 speed stick shift has lots of safety features and works great on snow and ice and costs a lot less than a Honda or a Toyota of the same size.

17. spclays1

spclays1 TS Member

Another vote for the Toyota FJ Crusier...VooDoo Blue Rules...

18. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I like my 2007 Surburban and have had zero problems, other than when its time to fill 'er up. Had 3 Tahoes prior to that and a full sized Jimmy before the Tahoes. I like Chevys!

(Forgot an Avalanche I had for 10 months)

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I buy a new Ford Explorer about every two years. All have been red, and all have given me good service. I have a 2005 and a 2007 in my driveway now, and I am just about ready to sell the 2005 and get a new one. I am pleased with Ford Explorers. Others may not like them, but I do. I use these for business.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.