1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Survey ! Who plays the money

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3357, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3357

3357 Member

At small shoots I enjoy playing the options and do OK. At big shoots where the Big Dogs are shooting I choose NOT to "feed the kitty".

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I always play the Lewis. Hitting on not so great score is always fun and your friends always say you got how much for shooting "THAT?"

Eric

3. jimbohughes

jimbohughes TS Member

I now play more options, like the lewis.
    I have watched my friend Brian hit a lewis at almost every shoot for the past year! He must be good cause he's to ugly to get lucky that often!!

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Luck kicks the crap out of skill on any given day!

I enjoy playing some of the options.

Curt

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

In singles, I play the Lewis. In Caps, I usually always play everything.

Matt

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Twenty years ago I realized that if I passed on the options I could shoot factory shells, throw them away, and be money ahead. So I don't play the money though I know many like to and I don't worry about them doing so.

Neil

7. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

The last two winners of the Grand American Handicap didnt' play the money. They left somewhere in the vacinity of 27000? laying on the table. Personally when I'm in a big shoot I play the money. Haven't won anthing worth braging about yet but when I eventually have that day "hopefully" I'll not have to say "I almost won it all but didn't play the money." Dan

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I second Dan's post! I didn't play the options at a couple of shoots that I won!Now I play some of the options with GOOD results!Note;You can't win if you don't play!!!PJ

9. old tex

old tex TS Member

Neil is right as usual IMHO.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I played every option once in my life. I did it because I had been shooting five times a week for months and was on my game. I broke 100 singles, 99 caps and took home a lot of dough. I figured I would keep it so I never played the options again. In fact I don't shoot registered any longer and have not for years. I retired a year ago and may start again but playing options would be a waste of money as I don't shoot that well now.

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I usually play the Lewis.

tony

12. atashooter

atashooter Member

20.00 to win 13.00 ?? My luck is better on a slot machine in Atlantic City...

13. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

I like to play the money. The shooters I travel with also like to gamble on targets. We evaluate every shoot program, every weekend, by added money and the options offered. Traveling to those that offer the most potential. In my opinion, it would be wise for a club to offer something for both mentalities. Honor/trophy shooters and those that play money.

There is great difference in what is offered in a program and the type of people that attend major events. The BOD that organize and assemble your state shoot will effect attendance by the what is offered and reflect on the type of shooters attracted. Something as simple as a money derby after the days registered targets will help make a decision in choosing a shoot. Getting back less than the option cost because of too many splits just pisses shooters off. Making a joke out of the lewis purse and reducing participation both in the lewis and maybe attendance.

Having a good program in options should not be a debate, but regarded as an incentive for those of us that like the money side of trapshooting. Forgetting one or the other is a good way to send shooters to some other shoot.

Maltzie

14. kolar12

kolar12 Member

If I don't play the Lewis, I put the money it would have cost me into a "fund". It is fun to play though.

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

a friend on my squad passed away last winter. he was very very wealthy. he would play the lewis class all the time. if he won, he walked around like he just won a million dollars. he had a stretch where he could not hit a lewis class. he was thinking of possibly getting out of the sport. my other friend on the squad and myself, use to put $5.00 each in an envelope and told him, here's your winnings, you hit the lewis, you lucky sob. he was tickeld pink. that would keep him in the sport for atleast 1 more month. always play the lewis!!!!
    steve balistreri

16. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I prefer the direct approach. Every once in a while I just walk up to Leo, shake his hand, and hand him twenty bucks.

17. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Ask such a question, and one is bound to get several interesting theories and / or opinions................

I believe the best advice is to pay attention to the options payouts at various shoots ; from local club shoots to the biggest registered tournaments. While nothing is ever "etched in stone", it is possible to see patterns develop.

It is very important that the shooter understand what he / she is playing ; how it is paid out ; what type of scores often benefit from which options ; whether said shooter has the ability to break scores within that range. By watching the payouts, in time you will be able to make a "more educated" guess as to whether to play a particular option, or not.

A perfect example would be the high gun purse in a handicap event at a major tournament. If you do not have the confidence to break a score in the very upper 90s, it would not be prudent to play an option that is based upon the high score for the shoot.

While the Lewis Class has the potential to reward a shooter of lesser caliber, there is no need to "kid" ourselves about options, either. The vast majority of option monies will ultimately be paid to the best scores, no matter what the size of the shooting event.

That having all been said, I still play "the ticket" in handicap at all major shoots I attend. I would never want to be the one who lets several thousand dollars go to someone else, should I have my "day in the sun" ....... *smiles*

18. Trab

Trab TS Member

If you are shooting 75% in handicap from the 27 save your money..........

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I only play the lewis class when it is a 50/30/20 and 3 or more classes.

The 60/40 lewis class is geared to the top shooters and they get an extra 10% of you money. I am not a fool and I don't play their game.

The great eastern purse is one of the best options. Pays 6 places not hi-gun

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mike Herman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.