1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Survey: When will you give up low MPG vehicles?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Steve W, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Just curious, with the rising fuel cost, under what circumstance, you will give up your below 13/17 MPG vehicles?

I pick 13/17 MPG for numbers because that's what my Expedition is getting City/Fwy.

*** This survey should EXCLUDE all vehicles with MSRP exceeding $65,000.00

Thank you for participating this survey. I want to see where people draw the line.

2. cnsane

cnsane Member

'73 Benz gets 12 mpg. Paid $5000 for the car 15 years ago. I'll stop driving it as soon as I become too stupid to manage my own money and have to start charging gas on a credit card.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    When they make an AFFORDABLE 4x4 that can ford 40" of water, drive through deep snow or mud, tackle 100% grades WITH a trailer, can drive over large rocks, drive through heavy brush without body damage, have a roof that comes off, be able to be repaired by a high school kid, and have decent resell value when it gets old. And be fun.

Until then, I'll drive my '71 FJ40.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I have to, I'll swap out the 350 Chevy for a diesel and overdrive. It's still far cheaper than spending $30,000 on a replacement rig.

And for less demanding use, the wife has a Toyota RAV4 that gets 28 mpg.

4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I believe that question should be answered by the individual driver. Not by government mandate.

To answer your question "When they pry the wheel from my cold dead fingers".

The lower income people have no choice a $45,000.00 -$50,000.00 vehicle is out of the picture all together.

And by the time you get it starting to pay for the difference in the cost of fuel a $4,000.00 battery needs replacing.

Natural gas is a viable option. But the state and federal boys don't have a tax on natural gas.

Rock

Jim

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

My wife will never give up her 2004 Dodge Durango. 4.7L V-8. Loves it too much. AWD,FWD, plenty of room for the family. She'll eat PB&J sandwichs before she parts with that battlewagon. Dave T

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My 2004 13mpg vehicle also has well in excess of 300HP and nearly 400 torque from a V8. You just can't replace that with an economy vehicle. Its paid for and only has a little 64,000 miles. I can't see it going anywhere. I've already filled it with gas over $4/gallon. It helps that it may sit weeks at a time without being driven but it is considered my daily driver. I kinda relate to "Brian In Oregon's" post above. I haven't seen an economy vehicle with the interior room my truck has. It takes a good size engine to move a crew cab.

For what its worth, our actual family vehicle gets 28mpg.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'd LOVE to drive one of the new HIGH mpg vehicles! But I can't afford the $50,000 price tag. My newest vehicle is 25 years old, Detroit hasn't made anything I could afford to buy for 40 years.

John C. Saubak

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't like to drive the Trailblazer, 15 city MPG. I usually use the LeSabre. 21-22 town, 32 Hwy. But I can't fill the Buick with guns and gear, and go PD shooting with it.

I did have a brainstorm about the front end of the Buick grafted to some kind of SUV back half. If I was 20 years younger I might try to build one.

I do believe the auto industry could do better with vehicles for sport utility function. My Chev pickup got 13. Uphill, downhill, headwind, tailwind, towing or not. 13 MPG. And the 305 couldn't pull a sick old granny off a pisspot.

Is it possible the powers that be want us to stay in town and drive Smarts? Uuuuuugghhhhh!

HM

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I am ready now and have been looking! So far VW Jetta diesel wagon and Volvo V50 wagon are in the lead. Have not bought a foriegn car ever to this point. I need front wheel drive for the winters here. Any input would be appreciated. Like the station wagon thing. Bill

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I am looking at the new model F150's but will not buy new. I've only got 60,000 miles on my 06 but will sell it if I buy a newer one. My wife's Azera gets 25 MPG town/highway and 30,000 miles on it so will keep it for a while. My 2001 Taurus has 170,000 miles on it so will keep driving it till it quits. It gets 19 city and 27 highway and has cold air so I drive it more than anything else. My old Nissan 4x4 is my hunting truck and will just keep it. The bottom line is, I'm in no rush to buy a new vehicle but will consider a Hyundai Sonata when I do. Jackie B.

11. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Not too soon I hope

[​IMG]

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Rick, does it have enough power to pull boats. I like the sound of it but I need something to pull a 18ft vee hull with a 120HP motor and a tournament TX 175. I really like the looks of it too. Jackie B.

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

Figured out the the cost of buying New.Seems that will put a lot of gas in my Dodge pickup and my wifes.Still cheaper to keep the Dodges than to buy another vehicle just to save gas.I realize that the original price of the 2004 and 1999 Dodge is below your range,but,the Newer ones would be in your range if I got them to MY specs. hope you don't mind that I answered the survey.

Doug H.

14. letts

letts TS Member

When I do not have enough money to fill it up.

Letts

15. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

As soon as they figure out how to safely pull and stop 10,000 pounds of trailer with 3,000 pounds of vehicle.

JK

16. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The biggest vehicle I have right now is an Expedition, absolutely love it. But when the gas pump at Costco automatically shuts off at $100., the tank is not full yet, it's a pain to wait and re-insert the card to fill it up. So I have to remember not letting the tank to get too low.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Last summer I found a Chevy 2007 Uplander at a dealer ... it was a rental car with 49K miles on it.

removed the 3rd row seats and have a 54" X 48" space in back. My son built a carpeted "vault" 10" deep, with a top lift cover.

In it I store 4 flats of ammo, gear and up to 8 shotguns.

The Uplander is basically like a Tahoe but is on a car chassis with a V6 3.9 ... it gets 18 mpg in town traffic and 26 highway ... averages 21 mpg.

Beats the 12 mpg that I used to get on the Ford 250 van!

Werks fer me!

18. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

As soon as realistic mechanical equipment are standard on trucks/cars, when all those electronic BS systems on many trucks and cars that are not needed and dont work are removed, when electronic survelience junk placed in vehicles so govt can keep track of how we drive and where are removed and lastly a warranty that is a warranty that doesnt require 3 lawyers to understand otherwise, my '96 LandCruiser
    a one year classic special with 181K trouble free miles,(15 mpg)that is second only to a Humvee, my '98 TJ Wrangler,6, 4x4 with options that couldnt be duplicated mechanically unless I spent 3 times what I paid for it and a VW Taureg whose only problem was a computer glitch in 5 years. Lee

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Doing a little math...

I've had my FJ40 for five years. I've put 8,000 miles on it. That's 1600 miles per year. It gets 10 to 12 mpg. Let's call it 10 mpg.

OK, so a new SUV that's anywhere close to being as capable off road might get 22 mpg at best. And be in the $30,000 to $40,000 range. Let's call it $30K.

At 6.99% interest for 72 months, that's $511 a month.

1600 miles divided by 10 mpg is 160 gallons of fuel. That's 13.3 gallons of fuel per month. (It actually sits in the off season months, but is used more in spring and summer. It might go weeks without being driven.)

For arguments sake, let's say gas is $4 a gallon. That's 13.3 x $4 = $53.20 a month fuel bill.

If I replaced the FJ40 with a 22 mpg vehicle, my annual fuel usage would be 72 gallons, which is 6 mpg per month on average. Cost would be $24 a month.

So the monthly fuel savings would be $53.20 minus $24 = $29.20 a month.

Now take the $511 a month SUV payment and subtract $29.20 a month. That means that more than doubling my fuel mileage would wind up costing me $481.80 a month.

Of course, there are variables. Like if I sold my FJ40. That could reduce the monthly payment a bit. But I also have not included higher insurance costs either, since the new vehicle has a (new) value of three times or so what the FJ40 would fetch.

-------

Right now most of my FJ40 trips are to the other side of Mt. Hood to my hunting area. About 65 miles one way. Let's say I did decide to drive further, like, say, a vacation in Yellowstone, which we do want to go back to.

From Portland to Yellowstone, Montana is 563 miles. I realize that's the northern entrance, but let's let that cover running around in the park too. So that's a round trip of 1126 mpg. At 10 mpg that's about 112 gallons. At $4 a gallon that's $448 in fuel. A 22 mpg rig would burn 51 gallons for a cost of $204. That's a savings of $244 in fuel.

It would take a lot of vacations like that to even start cutting into the increased costs of a $30K SUV.

As it is, we have the wife's rig, a 2004 Toyota RAV4. It gets 28 mpg highway, but a roof cargo bin will cut that 5 mpg. We proved that on a round trip to Omaha, the Badlands, Black Hills and Yellowston in 2004. There's nothing in Yellowstone other than the old railroad line trail that requires a tough SUV. So based on the math, we'd probably take the RAV4. Instead of a roof rack, we're now using a military jeep trailer to haul our camping gear in. So I've added a hitch to the RAV4 to tow it. There will be some drag, but since it's in the slipstream it probably won't be 5 mpg worth. I'm losing only about 1 mpg with the FJ40 when towing it.

Of course, the FJ40 would be a lot more fun in Yellowstone, because the roof would be off. Much more open, better views, etc.

This math obviously does not apply to everyone. My Land Cruiser is NOT a daily driver. That would greatly skew the figures. But, the math process could be used by anyone, substituting their own situation.

20. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Who in the he?? only drives 1600 miles a year? Jumping H Cri$? I drive 25,000 to 30,000 and don't go anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.