1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Survey question - Combo or single purchase?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BarryA, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryA

BarryA Member

Based on your current trap shooting interests, and you were going to purchase a used shotgun on the market, would you want to buy 1) A combo unit? 2) If a combo, what barrel lengths? 3) If a single shotgun would it be a single or O/U barrel? 4) If a single or O/U, what barrel length?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Barry.... If you are going to be a serious competitor, in both singles, caps and doubles, I would definitly recommend a combo. My preference in barrel lengths has always been a 34" single and a 32" O/U. Lately, however, I have switched to 30" O/U barrels. I am a good sized guy, and thought I was having no trouble handling the 32" set, but, have since discovered that the 30" O/U set moves much quicker to the second target and is very comfortable for me to handle. It is just much easier for me to control during both shots. Due to this discovery, the 32" O/U barrels are a thing of the past for me. The advantages of a combo are that the gun has the same feel with either barrel on it, the stock fits the same, and the trigger is the same.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I would rather have two separate guns. I use the TMX for Singles and Handicap and an MX3 O/U for Doubles. I recently acquired a single barrel to make the MX3 a combo but when I shoot the single, I need to raise the comb a bit to get the POI that I want. I find that with a lot of use the locking block will eventually wear and the two different barrel sets will have the top lever in a different position. I use the MX3 single barrel as a backup gun though the TMX has only quit on me one time in 24 years of steady use.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If I were to buy a used shotgun just for Trap and I had no plans for ever shooting Doubles or Sporting Clays, I would get a single barrel trapgun probably a BT99. If I had any thoughts about shooting Doubles or Sporting Clays, it would be an O/U or an autoloader. Barrel length is a personal preference thing.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I will agree with miketmx. I am not a doubles shooter. I shoot mainly 16 yd. and some handicap. I also shoot sporting clays. That rules out a single barrel; unless I would want 2 separate guns. If I would decide on an all purpose gun; I would seriously consider the Guerini "Impact". Adjustable rib, adjustable stock, choke tubes, lifetime warranty; what's not to like?? Ed

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Life would be boring with only one gun.

But for trap, Trap2 makes sense. It is difficult enough to get one gun to "fit". Dealing with two would become very frustrating.

I carry a spare receiver for my combo. If I had a Perazzi, a second trigger would suffice for most breakdowns.

Don Verna

7. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I've used multiple guns and combos. I favor the combo over 2 separate guns but if I was to start over, an over/under could suffice for singles, doubles, and handicap. My late in life opinion for what it's worth.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Get the combo for sure. I bought just the Unsingle thinking "i don't shoot doubles i don't need a O/U". Well, now i want to try Doubles. You will too i suspect once the bug(Trap) bites you. Get the Combo, have it setup to fit you and your set for all.--Matt

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I bought an Unsingle (upgraded from an over/under)...and don't shoot doubles at all. To shoot sporting clays or skeet already have a couple of Browning o/u sporting clay guns and 1100s. Regards, Ed

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

In my better days.. I shot a Seitz SBT..35" and a MX10RS 34"for doubles..

My fit and dynamics favored that combination as I needed to change my LOP and comb when I shot my MX10RS combo..

Today.. I'm seeing the wisdon of 1 gun O/U 1 barrel 30 to 31.5" period.. My gun is a Perazzi MX3Special frame.. barrel 30 5/8" step rib.. stock PFS

The backup gun is a 31.5" MX10 3 step rib barrel on a MX14 frame.. no sideribs 1.37kg barrel.. Wilkinson choked .028/.038 on a .738 bore..

Shooting is an evolution of styles,guns and money.. Have fun..Shoot well and often..

I'm exploring the new "short rib"..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.