1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Survey questin, 7.5 vs 8 shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gizmo110, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gizmo110

Gizmo110 TS Member

Ok, just getting back into trap after 20 years. Always reloaded my own shells with 7.5 magnum shot. Just wondering what the current thought is on shot size and why. At the current time I shoot 16yd singles with a single barrel 12ga? Thanks for the input!

Tim

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You'll receive a myriad of replies expounding the qualities 8's vs. 7-1/2. etc. Some will advise that 8-1/2's and 9's are the best for the 1st shot of doubles and singles...blah, blah, blah!

I'm sure you already know the value of free advice (and opinions)...

Personally I use only quality magnum 7-1/2 shot when I reload. I only reload 2 types of shells for trap, 1 oz. @ 1200 fps for singles and both shots of doubles and 1-1/8 oz. @ 1250 for handicap. Using only one type of shot keeps everything pretty simple.

Curt

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use #8 shot for singles and doubles and #7.5 shot for handicap. If I reversed this I doubt that I would notice anything. And, if I loaded half my singles shells with #8 and half with #7.5, I suspect I would never notice any difference.

But, I will continue to use #8 for singles and doubles and always use #7.5 for handicap because I always have done it that way. Change is difficult.

Pat Ireland

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

There are so many reasons and opinions on choice but let me tell why I choose 7 1/2's over 8's for second doubles and handicap. The place I shoot most of the time only has one trap range and the fall area is a pasture which has thick grass and most often missed birds do not break when hitting the ground. I walked out into the pasture and picked up all the unbroken birds and then we shot, all of us using 8's. Then after 10 rounds we picked up the unbroken birds. What we found was most of the birds had been hit but did not break with the one or two pellet hits. Often I had seen a change in the flight of a bird but hardly noticeable as someone shoots. I believe that this is caused by one or two pellets hitting the bird but not having enough power to change the integrity of the bird. I know this is no where close to being scientific but I am convinced. Jackie B.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

1 ounce of 8-1/2's for singles and doubles (8's if I can't find 8-1/2's)

1-1/8 ounces of 7-1/2's for handicap

If I was forced to standardize on one shot size, I'd go with 7-1/2

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

#8 for everything, more pellets to fill out the pattern.

John C. Saubak

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Like one poster said-you will get just about as many opinions as posters. I use 7/8 oz of #8s at 16 yards, and 1 oz of #7.5s at handicaps as I do not notice any difference in my scores, except that with the lighter loads, I am less fatigued after a number of rounds, and thus my scores later on are a bit better Also the larger pellets at handicap ranges seem to be more consistent breakers than 8s. Works for me, but others will have different view points, and opinions.

Jim R

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

It depends on how quickly you shoot. Sometimes I need #4 Buck.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Use every advantage you can a full 1 1/8th ounce of shot, more shot on clay target equals a break.

461 #8s versus 393 #7 1/2s in an 1 1/8 ounce load
    410 #8s Versus 350 #7 1/2s " "" "" ""

I'll take the more pellets every time, and I think the top dogs do also.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Just to make it simple, I shoot 7 1/2's magnum shot for everything. I do change the powder from Red Dot for singles & Green Dot for handicap (25 yds.). BT-100dc

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

#8 l/2's for singles and #8's for handicap (new shooter). Nuff-said. Jeff

12. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Just to make it simple, I shoot 7 1/2's magnum shot for everything. I do change the powder from Red Dot for singles & Green Dot for handicap (25 yds.). BT-100dc

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

#8 l/2's for singles and #8's for handicap (new shooter). Nuff-said. Jeff

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I prefer to load a quality 7 1/2 mag shot. I load 1 1/8 oz. for short and long yardage. I just change to a different powder for my Handicap and Sporting loads. I do load some #8's but the higher precentage is 7 1/2 shot.

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

(In my humble opinion) If you poured a box of #7-1/2's and a box of #8's of your favorite brand in a bucket, and shot fifty targets with them, I do not think anyone could tell which was which. If you are not shooting the pattern where you are supposed to, the target will not break.
    I also think that IF you believe you do better with 7-1/2's you will, or visa/versa.

16. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

#8 magnum along with red dot or promo for everything I do.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"If you poured a box of #7-1/2's and a box of #8's of your favorite brand in a bucket, and shot fifty targets with them, I do not think anyone could tell which was which."

Probably 100% true. But its what's between the ears that counts. If your brain thinks there's a difference, then there is.

18. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

IF your on the target either will work It's just what you like most...

19. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

It's all in the head......

I made up some "special" or at least that is what I told my 14-year old son "ANNIE loads" the other night (mixed 1-1/8 oz of 7.5 and 8's) and used my standard 1-1/8 oz handicap load of 20.3 of Green Dot.

I explained to him how the 7.5s would carry the distance with punch and the 8's would fill in the pattern better with less holes in it. (Good story hey!)

Well it must have worked... He won the first two annies on Sunday including a 40 shot marathon with his best friend in front of about 75 people and put a nice chunk of change in his pocket.

I'm gonna make up some more for our club picnic on Saturday. This weeks annie is for a gun!!!! :)

BTW, I prefer 1oz of 8.5 from 16.

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

7 1 2 vs 8 shot for trap

7 shot vs 8 shot
7 vs 8 shot
8 shot vs 7 1 2 for 16 yards
clay shooting 8 vs 9
diffrence between 7 and 8 shot

number 8 shot for clays