1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Survey of shooters who don't renew?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldEx, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I know that the reason I don't shoot more is plain and simple time and money, just as stated above. Three younger (8, 10 and 12 years) kids that are all now involved in some kind of sports. Swim meets, gymnastics, baseball/softball. These activities all cost money and there is only so much money in the extracurricular activities fund. Trap shooting could EASILY wipe the entire fund out if I let it. Time is the other issue. I can't be shooting trap while I am at a swim meet, baseball game or gymnastics meet. I think that is why there are so many older shooters in the game. They start off young, take a break at some point and then return when the kiddies are out of the house and down the road. I only shoot registered targets now. No practice at all. That is one way I get at least some targets in every year.

Jeff

2. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

It may seem a little like that Brian, BUT, what he was saying is VERY accurate.

3. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I hope that many people aren't talked into quitting because we talk ourselves into believing its too expensive. Like being talked into a recession, a bad mood, or whatever. I would hate to see shooting facilities close down or curtail hours due to lack of interest.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Brian- I have never seen any comments by Don that remotely indicate that he believes might have a religious superiority over the rest of us. I don't believe he has ever refereed to any type of holiness on this site. Could you explain your comments a bit more?

Pat Ireland

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Pat

"Brain in Oregon" is probably not the same poster as "Brian in Oregon".

6. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

***DELETED*** 10-23-07

I think this will be your last warning, Richard. If you can't act like an adult, abide by the rules of this site, and show some common sense, then your ID will be deleted.

7. smartass

smartass TS Member

***DELETED*** 10-23-07

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

Good grief, another Piddie?

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You all see what's happened to TS.com? Tom2k asks a polite question with a serious intent, and now in less than a dozen posts, the jerks have sent it right into the toilet. There's no motivation for me, and others with something to say, to waste any time here, is there? Eventually, and my guess is sooner rather than later, many will just decide to turn the asylum over to the inmates and do something else.

Hap recently re-posted a patterning thread I started quite some time ago. I was struck by the number of names of people who genuinely previously had "something to say" who are now nowhere to be seen. Interesting people who added to our knowledge and understanding. Now it's "Hello, dumb wanker . . ." before we get two minutes into reading and I just hit quit and switch to chess - what's to keep me here? (aside: there are jerks there (Internet Chess Club) too, of course, but there's also a complain command and there's a policy one warning before the boot is applied. There's even "censor" which keeps you from even seeing what some have written and that's a big plus as well. Think how that would help here!)

Tom2k, the reasons given were money and time and almost nothing else. Many said they were intending to come back when they had more of whatever it was they didn't have now; some added that they liked shooting ATA even though they weren't able to continue. They came off as a group of people we'd surely like to have back but were faced with situations the ATA cannot do much about.

Neil

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Money and Time, those are two biggies especially if you don't have much of either ... Money being a blanket that covers traveling, motels, shells, guns, entry fees, and a host of other things ... Time, thats pretty much another blanket that covers just about anything and everything else ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. FloridaTrapper

FloridaTrapper TS Member

Well said Neil...Some time ago, on another thread, I mentioned the same thing. All too often, when an individual expresses an opinion here, he is risking a personal atack that is completely uncalled for. That has driven many good people away from this format, and that is a damn shame!

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

Time and money to shoot are not the problem for me. I am retired and somewhat more than "comfortable" in the financial dept.

An old issue with the ATA is keeping me away, but Neil is going to check into it as soon as he gets back from that big shoot in Arizona. Right Neil?

13. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Neil Winston, Agree with your comments and so let me suggest (nothing new) that a site that required your ATA # and real name makes sense to me.

14. FloridaTrapper

FloridaTrapper TS Member

Sounds like a great idea to me Mike! Not sure that it will fly, but a very positive suggestion.

Dick Betz

15. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I made this comment before and was jumped on by BIGDON who apparently feels that his opinion is the only valid opinion expressed.

I don't get anything from shooting ATA that I haven't been able to get by shooting club events:

--I'm always shooting against people who are better than I am (if motivation is to be a factor).

--I'm don't care about having my name and average published in a big book each year to compare me with a host of other people, many of whom probably feel the way I do about it.

--I get to socialize with lots of good folks who I can count on seeing often at other shoots and with whom I can socialize outside of shooting because they live relatively close to me.

--I don't have to sit around for long periods of time waiting to shoot.

--I don't encounter nearly as many pompous, self-important primadonas and attitudes at club shoots as I do at ATA shoots.

--It costs me less and I don't have to travel nearly as far to find an event.

I'm happy where I am.

Morgan

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Neil, there are many ATA shooters that ONLY read here on BS dot com. A place that was intended for trapshooters to share ideas and bettering of our sport. As a group, trapshooters are the best of the best! We can't allow a few keyboard comedians any thought of ruining such a great asset to out sport. I agree with you that we've lost several great posters already that usually had something constructive to add to our sport! BS and personal attacks shouldn't be tolerated here either, just as the house "rule" says. (Moderators???)

I brought up the post mentioned to assist or help those that may have missed it first time around! I will do so again in a few months also just in case more readers only show up.

Mr. President: Would you help shadow find those missing targets so he will shoot more registered targets again? Thank you Sir. Hap

17. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I have got to go with Neil on this one again. Many shooters that used to be on here are now gone. While they MAY still watch every now and again, they never post anymore. When was the last time anyone saw quickshot, or stubbleduck or PKiner on here? I may have missed it as I am not on here much anymore either but I would be willing to bet that it has been awhile.

I don't think that Big Don has done anything other than defend an organization that he has invested a lot of time and effort in and loves. Just like any other ATA shooter SHOULD be doing.

Time and money, money and time. It has ALWAYS been the worst enemy of registered trapshooting and it probably always will be.

Someone said that an ATA number should be required, what about all the folks that have not shot ATA targets....yet? They still have valid comments and there are some great folks in that group. That will not work.

I don't know what the answer is but I am sure it will come along sometime. I just hope that it is not too late and ts.com disappears into the vast wasteland that is cyber space.

John

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I know this thread has drifted off-topic (can you believe such a thing could happen?), but I feel compelled to throw in my two cents.

I used to post on here daily and would answer any question posted by anyone but tired of being ridiculed for simply stating what has worked for me, others I know or in this area. Accordingly, I've pretty much adopted the policy of speaking when spoken to.

It's great that we have a current EC member and some former delegates active on this board but I, too, have to wonder how long that will continue given the immaturity and disrespect demonstrated by some posters.

Ed

19. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Curious why ATA Membership number only, how about PITA, and WRETA? They are trapshooting organizations as well. JMHO RG

20. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

When we returned back to shooting this site was very helpful and we sifted through what we wanted to read.

We learned very quickly that posting a reply could lead to much more than we expected most of the time.

Some folks take great pride in stirring the pot and enjoy keeping the fires hot. I have tried very hard not to respond negatively to threads but I must admit I have slipped a couple of times.

First I would like to say that I appreciate Mr. Winston and Mr. Ireland standing in the gap to make sense of some of the questions.

However there seems to be a group that enjoys setting the trap for others to fall into.

I run ONE thread about trapshooting in NC and just recently had a comment that made reference to a rather lewd activity. This comment was and is still on the thread. I asked for this post to be deleted and it was never addressed.

So, back to the original question - survey of shooters who don't renew. Have we actually had a person respond to this thread that has not renewed?

I believe that it is time for folks that really want to contribute to this site to login with valid names and some type of ID verification. That might put an end to the spineless trolling malcontents that make visiting this great site a misery.

I am lucky to have and maintain a website that promotes what the sport is really about - good times and fellowship. I may not shoot great every week but my trapshooting friends will last a lifetime.

We have an actual chatroom on my site that folks actually use from time to time but we never seem to see any of the big mouth mystery typists showing up to go keystroke to keystroke.

The most obvious reasons folks don't renew are time and money for sure. Other folks are tired of getting beat by folks that "play" the system. Others clubs are being demolished due to urban sprawl and environmental wackos. Some folks are getting older and health issues might create problems.

Shooting in NC is steady and we have three shoots in NC this weekend. The 2-day Ted Smith Charity shoot was well attended both days this last weekend. We have a Fall Handicap Shoot at the Homegrounds in November - 4 days.

As for me and my house I still want to break my 1st 200 in singles - 100 in caps and 100 in doubles, I want to attend the Grand in 2008 and shoot the 2400 targets, I want to get my name back in the NC State Program and the list goes on and on!

Your target total may vary based on the info provided above.

38-01615 (ATA number issued in 1964)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.