1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

survey for California trap shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BOBL, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

In this economy,should we raise fees to help our clubs remain open or not?
    Currantly we are charging $28. Both skeet and sporting clays charge more.
    Please be a part of this survey.

Thank You, Bob L. Wood

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Bob, I assume your 28.00 is registered for 100 targets? Or at least for 4 rounds of practice? If for a single round, well Houston you might have a problem already.

It seems there is a wide range of pricing from clubs, primarily driven by geography and economic conditions of the area. I know in Stockton, the rates are 7.50 per round of 25 non-member, 5.00 a round for a member. I believe membership is 100.00 per year renewable in January annually. I shoot at Sage Hills in Reno probably once a month or so, and it is 7.50 last time up there, which honestly has been a bit, and I am not up there enough to be a member. Both are very nice clubs for my nickel.

Having scouted clubs in my general area of central CA, Napa struck my fancy at 3.00 per round, 75.00 annual membership (at least on the web site which could be ancient?). It looks to be a volunteer club with mandatory 12 hours of service to the club annually. If I lived closer to that area I would certainly check that out as it looks to be a steal of a deal in most any area, exceptional for CA.

That said, raise the rates if that is what it takes to keep the club alive. When you factor in inflation, it does not feel like it is crazy expensive, but I am in a lucky position so if it was 10.00 a round it might make me think twice but I doubt I would quit shooting.

I know from years in business there are many factors "behind the scenes" that are genuine expenses. To those who say "but targets are only XX.XX" that is no doubt true, but there are so many expenses to a proprietary chunk of real estate with fairly expensive infrastructure has to be covered, especially in CA.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob....... I shoot a lot of registered targets in Northern California as well as belonging to a club that throws 3-4 registered shoots each year. What you are addressing here is a double edged sword. On the one hand, with the economy being what it is, shooters are being very choosey about which shoots they attend. Discretional spending is at a premieum. Almost all the clubs I shoot at are at $28.00 per hundred, but some, including ours, are at $26.00. These fees cover the targets and the trophy package. The trophies usually are very nice in our area, which covers from Sacramento all the way to the Oregon border. Since it costs the shooter basically the same amount of money to shoot each club, the shooters are attending the shoots that offer them the best targets, the best trophies, and the best chance to win something, and skipping those that don't that they may have otherwise attended in the past. On the other hand, you have gun clubs struggling to make ends meet. With the cost of targets, trophies, overhead, etc., $28.00 targets barely let the club make any profit at all. As an example, our club can generate more profit for the club holding a 1 day fun and meat shoot than it can make for a full weekend of registered shooting. Raising the cost of targets to, say, $30.00 may run off more shooters than you can afford to lose, and your club income will suffer accordingly. Some shoots can demand $30.00 for their targets, but, they better put on a hell of a shoot, offer great trophies, great meals, and added activities to justify the cost. All this costs more club money as well so the trick is to balance the two. There are basically only two ways to generate more income for your club: 1) Increase prices or 2) Decrease overhead. Which way you decide to go may well dictate the future growth of your club. Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

You need to look at all aspects of the club's expenses and income from trap. How many trap targets are you throwing? Didreckson is current on his fees in Napa, and at Valley of the Moon, in Sonoma it is $3.00 for members and $6 for non-members. At Pt. Arena, we charge $4/$6 with an annual charge of $50 per person (individual membership). If you keep the cost per round down and up the annual fees slightly, you may be ahead, rather than passing all the cost onto the rounds themselves. As pointed out above, if you ramp up the round cost, you have to deal with people shooting less. Another variable is your overall membership, can you hit up the local sports shops and try to run up your membership, maybe have some open house events and get some local shooters in to increase membership and throw more targets. Increasing the membership obviously has a double positive affect as you bring in both annual and target fees.

Your facility cost for skeet and sporting clays is higher, so those fees are usually higher.

All of the above facilities are volunteer run, if your place has full time professional help, then it will obviously need to charge more.

As above tell me more about what $28 means.

Dennis

5. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I agree with Dan Thome. At $28.00 most of us can still shoot. I have to travel at least 74 miles to the nearest shoot (Stockton). By the time I pay for fuel, shells, and fee's, thats about my limit. I'm a Life Member at Newman and thats right at 90 miles. But I would never miss a shoot at either one. Missed the Zone at Coon Creek this year because of fuel and motel costs.
    At Mother Lode GC out fee's are $3.50 for a member and $4.50 for non-member. A member can buy a 22 round punch card for $66.00. But we are an all volunteer club. At those rates we make good money.
    As Dan said, if we pay $30.00 and have nice trophies, we would do it. But beyond that we might lose more then we attract.

Mike Cunningham

Groveland, CA

6. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

If you go to a shoot for a day and enter in 2 events you will probably shoot a flat of ammo -- say $60 with tax. If you drive 50 miles each way (100 miles) and average 17 miles per gallon at $3.75 per gallon -- about $23 -- we've spent $83 without the entry fees.

2 events at $28 each is $56 for a total of $139 ---- if you increase the cost to shoot by $4 per hundred ($8 for the day) becomes $147.00

$8 more isn't a lot of money but before you increase fee's ask yourself why?

What will you do with the extra $4 per event? Will you keep (or even gain) more shooter's with nicer trophies than you might lose by keeping the fees the same.

Are shooter's complaining about the prizes or the money paid back?

Is it only the shooter's who seem to win all the time who are complaining?

Have you thought about ways to reduce costs such as only having trophies for class winner's in singles and doubles and yardage groups in handicap --- except for the bigger shoots?

7. skidrowe7

skidrowe7 Member

Have you checked the price of a round of golf at your local CC lately. It's getting pricey too.

8. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The comment about increase the biz certainly is interesting. It's been my experience that finding a trap club can be a difficult task some, OK most, places. Actually that is more like everywhere. Why you guys hiding out and complaining about lack of members/biz/interest/etc??? Not even notices at the gunshops - nothing.
    I know that there is always the circle the wagons argument that if "THEY" know where we are it will be the end of everything, and I can only assume that paranoia is the basis for the pervasive anonymity. I'm not gonna get into that crap, but I will tell you this --- The now-defunct Sacramento club was right beside the freeway in the near middle of town and I don't recall that they had any great difficulties w/ "THEM". They went under for a number of reasons but being visible was not one of them.

just a thot

and JMO of course

Charlie

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

So. CA. public clubs charge about $7.50/round or more. Some have club memberships which bring it down to $6.50 a round. The private clube charge $4.00/round for members and $7.00 for non-members. ATA at North Hollywood Sportsman's Club is about $56/200 rounds including lunch. Prize monies depend on the size of the shoot. Fred

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

You really need to specify what the $28 is for. If that is a yearly membership, you should raise it. If that is for 100 rounds, it's about average for what I see.

I belong to two clubs. Both have a $50/year membership price. One is completely private and charges $3/round. It operates with all volunteer help. The other charges $4/round for members and $5.50/round for non-members. Both clubs are just getting by.

11. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my survey. The $28 is for 100
    registered targets. I am collecting this info to help our board members
    make wise decisions. I am not speaking for our Kern county club.
    Bob

12. NANK

NANK TS Member

I shoot at two clubs in Southern Cali, Redlands and Morongo. Redlands for a member is $6.00 a round, Morongo for a member is $4.00 per round. The cost is a small part of the equation. Redlands has multiple traps, shoots, instruction, clubhouse etc. Morongo has a singel house, no instruction, one shoot a month, no clubhouse, etc. In my view Redlands has much more VALUE for the money you pay. Just looking at the cost is missing much of the benefits to what any individual club offers.I figure when i shoot registered targets i will spend $150.00 per day for targets and ammo, as much as I used to spend on golf, and I enjoy trap much more. Look at the complete package before you determin what will help your particular club. The more you can offer for the money charged ,will get more people shooting. JMO.

Ken

13. Capjim

Capjim TS Member

I shoot at Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club (really in Cupertino). Members pay $50.00 per year and shoot for $2.50 a round. Public pays $5.00 a round. This is an all volunteer club for range duties as well as work party clean up. We have about 400 members and growing. We also have pistol and rifle range to 100 yards.

14. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

$28 per 100 for registered events at Auburn and Coon Creek here in Central CA..

$5 per round for practice if members, $35 & $25 respectively per year..

15. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

I have 2 clubs near my home - Yreka Claybirds has 2 traps, charges $26/100 registered targets, $30/yr membership per family, $4/rnd non-members, $3/rnd members, $1.50/ jr, active military shoot free. Dunsmuir has 1 trap, no registered birds, $15/yr family membership, $4/rund non members, $3/rnd members, $1.50 jrs. Both clubs have pistol and rifle ranges, and are all volunteer. I shoot registered birds at 14 different clubs annually over 3 states. My home clubs seem to be the least expensive. The area has approximately 24% unemployment which has hurt membership somewhat the last year, but the Yreka shoot was the biggest shoot to date - 53 shooters over 3 days. My advice, hold the costs as low as possible, be as friendly and welcoming as you can be to new shooters, and always thank people for coming out to the club. Bob K

16. racer

racer TS Member

I paid $8 per round at Oak Tree. New to Ca and don't know where else to go. Won't be able to play much at that rate. Help! :) Dan

17. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Dan,,Edwards AFB, is about 45 mins (+-)North or you on HWY 14. We shoot every Thur, Sat. & Sun. With "Big 50" every Thur., and Reg. ATA every 1st and 3rd Sat. $5.25 for non-members.
    Norman

18. racer

racer TS Member

Thanks Norman, I'll take a ride up in the morning. :) Dan

19. racer

racer TS Member

I won't be up there today, I see it's on the other side of all that 405 stuff. Dan

20. jimctrap

jimctrap Member

I was a member of this club for 10 years great place to shoot
    Hello fred bob dewey and all the guys
    jim c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.