1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SURVEY...Best Perazzi Combo Ever??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

What is your favorite Perazzi Combo ever? Why do you think it was the best? What are/were the best after-market mods? What are/were the worst mods to do to those fine guns? This should make for some interesting reading with new K and P guns selling for well over $10K. Stay tuned to this thread.

2. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I would vote for the MX-10RS (or MX2000RS)- best combination of all the great Perazzi features you mention, PLUS:
    1. Adjustable POI and adjustable comb.
    2. Unsingle seems to have less recoil.

Best modification: Seitz or Wilkinson barrels plus weight in stock.

Just my opinion

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Several years ago I had an MX-8 combo and still kick myself for ever letting go of it ... Two triggers, two forearms, 34" Top single, and 32" over/ under barrels ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hi Rick....Having owned just about all the different Perazzi trap guns, I have to cast my vote for the MX-3 Special, followed by the MX-3. Both have the 64mm high rib and are very fluid to the target. They just come "alive" when pointing and shooting them compared to the rest of the Perazzi's I have shot. I prefer the MX-3 Special due to the locking system. I have added a Precision double release trigger, a custom stock with adjustable comb, and both barrels were done by Tom Seitz. He backbored them all to .734". The single is choked .034" and the O/U are choked .020/.034". I like the 34" single, and am partial to my 30" O/U barrels over the 32" I used to have. In my mind, these are the best of the best when it comes to shooting American Trap, and all the mentioned modifications were well worth the extra cost, in my mind. I found out the hard way that my Perazzi's with the higher adjustable ribs, etc., was my inability to leave them well enough alone and they just don't feel, or shoot, the same as the MX-3 does! I was constantly adjusting one thing or another, and we all know the results of this type of behaviour, don't we?. I also shy away from the internally, or externally, selectable Perazzi triggers. I don't feel they are as dependable as a straight pull trigger. When I shot pull triggers, they were the worst of the bunch to keep tuned. It seemed as though the pull weights were always changing on me during the season and I just couldn't get them to stay correct for any length of time.... Just my preference... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. G-12

G-12 TS Member

I've been shooting my MX-8 combo for 40 years. To me that's all that needs to be said. Ben

6. joehunter

joehunter Member

MX3 special combo

Joey

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Quite honestly any of them would be a dream come true for me. My income makes it that it will likely only be a dream. I shoot a Beretta 682 Gold E and while it is a very nice gun, you always wonder about the grass on the other side.

8. missed some

missed some TS Member

I liked my MX5, it was inexpensive, and the darn thing NEVER gave me any problems. Let it get away for bigger and better. mark crist

9. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

In answer to your question, best MX-8 combo with Wilkinson barrel and choke work and the worst thing that you can do to it is to have it ported. Barrels should have 2 holes in them. One going in and one coming out.

Ed Yanchok

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I like Ed's assessment. :)

11. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I am throwing in with Dan Bonillas, David Kelly and Jimmy Heller. I vote for MX3...not the Special. Most of us find the regular MX3 quicker. For barrel work I never had better than the ones Tom Seitz did for me.

12. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

i Have a mx10 top single 34, 32 double barrel had em done by wilkinson, favorite gun i have ever had

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Eddy Why... The problem Ed, is that a majority of these quality MX8 and MX3 bbls have been ported during the "Porting era". So why do we keep telling guys that they need to be purists when puritanical was not in vogue when these guns were built? Ed, really these porting conversations are just gun club table convos by us old guys. We (as the old guys) need to get over ourselves and face the reality that if we are going to find a quality MX3-8 (or similar) porting may well be part of the acceptable package.

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My fave ports are Seitz style #1, and ProPort original second. Designer ports do turn me off.

I rate the MX3 pretty high for these reasons. On the top single, the rib is tapered, concave, and just high enough to obscure the bbl from your over the bbl eye. and the functionality and aesthetics of the O/U rib design and the lack of between the bbl ribs make it number one in my book and that of many others.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I am not a fan of Choke tubes or porting, had a few with one or the other and got rid of them ASAP, even felt better once they were gone ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Ed Y.... I agree with Jack (MIA) about porting. While I was never a big fan of ported barrels, I would rather have my Tom Seitz reworked, ported barrels, than any factory, un-modified barrels on my MX-3 Special. The factory barrels didn't even come close to comparing with the performance of the Seitz barrels, ported or not.... Just my preference.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I guess I am another fan of the MX3 for the same reasons as Jack and Dan. Actually it is the only combo I have ever owned. I'm too old to have a use for an adjustable rib, I would probably waste a lot of time fiddling with it. I still think the conventional rib of the MX3 is more intuitive and less likely to encourage crossfiring than the high rib guns.

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My choice would be the all time standard by which all their guns are compared to and built around: the MX8.

I went the porting route years ago, and shot on a traveling squad of 27 yarders of the same shooters for several years. Some of the guys had their P guns ported and others didn't. We all shot P guns.

Occasionally in singles, under certain wind conditions, and it IS windy here in the Midwest, I'd get bits of wad pieces in my face. After that, I've not ported any of my P guns, as I never wanted to bother anyone ever shooting. My old standby MX6 combo does have the bottom barrel Pro-Ported for first shot in doubles.

I'd also opt for the MX6 (upgraded MX3) and a good combo. Came with ext adjustable trigger. However, is it not nearly as fancy as others, so my choice is still the venerable MX8 combo. The MX3 shot top first, and I always felt this was a disadvantage in doubles shooting.

I'd never ported another one, and have to agree with MIA that it was a trend for a while.

IMHO.

WW

20. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The only kind of combo I have: two O/Us in different length. I ordered a few from the factory, some with matching weight, some are very close to each other.

Although I wouldn't reject a gun simply because they've been worked on, but I don't like any metal removed from my barrels, either forcing cones, portings, or after market back bore. If I want bigger bore sizes, I'll buy one with 18.8 mm.

I've owned and shot a few barrels with Wilkinson, Allor's name on it, they pattern beautifully, but non of them bought me any extra targets.

These are my favorite combos. All original factory barrels.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.