1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Suprise! An 1100 Blew Up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hank Cross, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

In 70 years of competition, i've never seen a gun "blow up". However, this afternoon at Myrtle Grove one let go. We shoot a Big Fifty or practice every Wednesday and usually have a couple of Guests. I believe the fellow in question came from North Carolina and certainly knew his way around trap as he had a custom stock and other gadgets on the 1100.

I can only report a brief visual inspection with no measurements or pics. The shooter took off for home as soon as we finished. He was in the squad ahead of me.

After about 10 shots, reloads of some sort, there was quite a bang which seemed much louder than a double charge. The bolt handle flew off into the weeds, but no injuries of any sort.

Inspecting the gun, there was no damage to the barrel which could be removed (He got a couple of offers for it), The bolt was open about a half inch, everything was locked up and the receiver was bulged out on the right about a quarter of an inch. The front end of the magazine tube was broken off as if some item had come down the tube with a lot of force. The head was separated from the shell. With no data, it looks as if the bolt was forced out of battery and the explosion was diverted downward into the receiver. Probable cause would be an extreme overload although this is only supposition. He expects Remington to take care of it, but it's a faint hope.

If I find out anything else, I'll let you know.

Dr. Hank Cross

2. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Wow. Please keep us posted if you hear any more.

Not Dr. Mike Dee

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If he was shooting reloads, no gun manufacturer will handle his problem; furthermore he customized a factory gun---again SOL

Phil Berkowitz

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

1-800-CALL-SAM

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Must of been a modified K-80. LOL

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Why would/should Remington "take care of it"? If you're using reloads, ALL bets are off.

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I never saw it happen but a members Beretta Auto 390-391 ? blew at a club and he also was shooting reloads but I think the gun had been back-bored prior to his purchase . I have seen the gun and I have pictures of it and the barrel seems very thin where the rupture opened up the barrel near his left hand , splitting the forearm in the front also . He wasn`t injured by this but what Beretta did was repair the gun for him free of change . I also doubt if he had an over charge in the reloads .

8. jhunts

jhunts Active Member

I would imagine a normal shell that fired with a firearm out of battery would sound very loud.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I had a friend who had an Ithaca auto. It blew upon him using factory "duck loads" . My opinion after looking at the gun was that there had been a carbon build up on both the locking lug and in the barrel recess that allowed the gun to go into battery although not really fully lock up. The barrel recess was sheared about half way up on it and carbon was still present in the recess.

10. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

I had a gun go off 'out of battery'. No big deal.

It was a 410 pump and the extractor hit the primer as it was being shucked. The extractor was blown out of the bolt, never to be found; but other than that it was no big deal.

11. lumpys600

lumpys600 Member

That's not true. Back in May of 2007 I purchased a brand new 1100 classic trap in the box. Only to have it destroy it's self with one of my reloads. After pictures and talking to Remington they replaced the gun no question asked. Now this gun had maybe 2000 rounds though it the time . But they stood behind their product and gave me a brand new gun. I didn't get hurt which I am thankful for. But I did trade the brand new gun off for a SKB 85 tss.

12. Avatar

Was this shooting singles? I shoot an 1100 and with singles, each shell is hand-inserted into the chamber. That is, I insert and push the shell fully into the chamber, then hit the bolt release button which sends the bolt crashing in behind the shell. So long as the link and action spring are pushing against the bolt and it is immediately up against a fully-inserted shell, I don't see how a normally-burning shell could cause the described damage. And, the hammer should not release unless the bolt is fully engaged. But maybe, in some cases of a lot of crud build-up, the hammer can release even though there is a small gap. If that happened here, I would think Remington would feel potentially on the hook. I guess that's another reason why I should always clean my 1100...

13. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I bet there was some kind of restriction in the barrel thank God no injuries!!

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

One of the quirks of the 1100 is for the bolt to not close fully, especially if it is the gun is a little dirty. Sounds like this may have been the case here. Bill

15. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

To answer a couple of questions. It was singles and there appeared to absolutely no damage to the barrel. No measurements taken on the barrel.

Hank Cross

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Always says a lot for a gun when somebody WALKS away from a blowup..my bet would be he had a deflector and only the brass exited on the round before the explosion..half a round that lodges beyond a chamber can be very exciting on the next pull

17. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

I received this PM verbatim.

"I am very pleased that you did not get my name or used it.

I really would like you to post another message and tell them that you have been contacted by me and my intentions are to show thw gun to Rem.. I am not injured and I am grateful.

I am not going to sue or ask Rem. to replace the action. I would like to know what their take is on what happened. It could have been my reloads, if it is then it's my fault."

I believe he want's no further contact on this incident. I won't involve him in any followup.

Hank Cross

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I know of one 1187 sporter that blew up back in the early 90's as a result of a bad reload. Barrel split, receiver cracked and forend shattered, one piece of which landed in my sons shell pouch 2 stations away. Minimal damage to you fellow shooting the gun (scratches). The gun got shipped back to Remington, who replaced it.

Ron Burr

19. Avatar

Well, I guess the K-80 has some company then, in the guns-that-sometimes-explode department... Of course, if it's a blockage or detonation, any gun is likely to blow up.

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Remington, having been clobbered by one
    lawsuit involving a barrel now feels its better to cave in to extortion by people who blow up guns due to their own carelessness.

Search tags for this page

injured gun blew up