1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Suppressed Shotguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Thought some of you might find this interesting.

We've seen the limited and apparently unpopular use of the Metro Barrel to reduce the muzzle report of shotguns here. But in Britain, suppressors for shotguns are fairly common. Not only for single barrel shotguns, but even over/unders. More at the above link.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Review of the above suppressed 20ga over/under.

It's interesting because shotgun suppressors are almost totally unknown here. Yet there are old photos and ads showing them in use on trap guns over 100 years ago here, especially for women trapshooters.

2. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I think I just would prefer to wear ear plugs...

3. Brian in Oregon

Ear plugs work just fine at a trap club.

Ear plugs do nothing to reduce the noise for neighbors. That's the main reason for the use of suppressors in Britain, where it is considered rude to disturb your neighbors with gunfire.

And some of us do not like wearing earplugs in the field when hunting. We want to be cognizant of our surroundings.

It's ironic that the liberals are so keen on reducing noise pollution, yet they don't want people using suppressors, which basically are nothing more than a muffler for a gun.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

What is the effect on ballistics?

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Definately interesting. I'd be curious to hear just how much it can reduce the 12ga.

6. Brian in Oregon

Dave S, here are the specs on the O/U in the pics above:

20g Fully Moderated Over & Under Hushpower© Investarm Shotgun<br>
    Weight: 7.25lbs<br>
    Barrel 33"<br>
    Overall Length 50"<br>
    Chokes ½ & ¾<br>
    Folding Action<br>
    £784.00 inc VAT<br>

Buzzgun, depends on how they ported it. If it is a muzzle only device, then probably very little difference on velocity. If there is porting further back in the bore tube, then that could bleed off enough gas to affect velocity.

grntitan, don't know. I suspect it only reduces the report somewhat, because of the large bore hole that still allows a lot of gas to pass through undiverted. In addition, the speed of sound is 1129 fps at sea level at 70 degrees F. If you shoot shells faster than that the shot and wad will break the sound barrier until they shed enough velocity to go subsonic. While the shot and wad remain supersonic, their "sonic boom" will sound just like, and be just as loud as, the muzzle report of a .22 LR from an 18" barrel. (This is exactly why a suppressor on a supersonic centerfire will never reduce the sound below that of a 22 LR.)

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

[​IMG]

Here's one at a club in Chicago, I believe it was. This is a K80 belonging to a Russian who attended the shoot.

I received this from a BATF agent whom I correspond with. He thought this was a classic, AND was curious how the guy even got it into the US for the shoot.

I finally, after 8 months, just received my suppressor tax stamp from the DOJ.

WW

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Must be KGB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

investarm 20g hushpower review