1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Suppressed Browning Buckmark 5.5" Field (pics)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    View attachment 230814

Got my Browning Buckmark 5.5" Field back from Mike at Tornado Technologies. The pic shows it with my AAC Aviator suppressor attached.

View attachment 230815

View attachment 230816

The upper pics show the work Mike did. The lower pic is of the original muzzle for comparison. Not only was the barrel threaded, but the top rail had to be relieved for clearance for the suppressor and the muzzle cap. The rib and barrel mate on flat surfaces. The pics are pretty much self-explanatory.

Cycles regular and subsonic .22s just fine. Accurate. And while I have not put a lot of rounds through it, Buckmarks are reliable. Sound level is like a 'magnum' air rifle with the subsonics, and a bit louder with standard ammo.

The primary purpose is for hunting small game and varmints. During deer season we often come across rabbits and squirrels. Also, we can hunt forest grouse with "any rimfire". This allows hunting small game without spooking the deer.

This suppressor only weighs 4.2 oz, so the balance is not thrown off much.

Why a Buckmark 4.4" Field and not a standard model, or the factory threaded Whisper (Camper) model? Because I may mount a scope or an Ultra-Dot on it. The non-ribbed models have shorter scope mounts, and are really only suitable for red dot sights. This was more flexible. Plus this model is known for accuracy.

I am very, very pleased with the work Mike did, and plan to use this often for hunting.

2. philk

philk Member

Suppressed Browning Buckmark 5.5

Ive seen some suppressed Rugers, which I`ve always wanted one of. Never saw a Browning done up before. Way cool.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Brian,

Once again you are making me drool over your toys. You sure know how to make the kids on here jealous. Nice one.

Matt

4. Brian in Oregon

View attachment 230811

View attachment 230812

Phil, here's another Buckmark factory threaded for a suppressor. It's my son's Buckmark Threaded Camper (formerly called the Buckmark Whisper) that was available exclusively through Lipsey's distributing. They're supposed to be making another run of them.<br>
    Buckmark Camper Threaded from Lipsey's

I posted a link in my initial post to Tornado Technologies. Mike threads Buckmark barrels. Here's a pic from his website:

View attachment 230813

Tactical Solutions also makes Buckmark barrels in different lengths, threaded and unthreaded, and in different colors. Unlike the Ruger Mark I, II or III series, no FFL is needed. (The Ruger barrels have the serialized receiver attached.) These make the Buckmark very light, and the 4" barrel will keep almost all .22 ammo subsonic. The only thing I don't like is that the threads are aluminum. But it is possible to add a threaded extension to prevent wear.

High Desert Dog has several types of pistols with threaded barrels in stock, as well as threaded barrels. This includes Buckmarks.

5. cpd544

cpd544 Member

Here is my Ruger Mark II, I have more fun with this than any other gun I own.

cpd544_2009_2306.jpg

6. Brian in Oregon

Nice. Looks like a Tac-Sol aluminum barrel/receiver. Is that a Gemtech Outback suppressor? It's shorter than my AAC Aviator.

7. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Nice projects guys!!! Are these Class III license guns? How do you get one of those licenses? Also, what is inside that tube on the end. Is it hollow or filled with some kind of baffle? ... thanks

8. Brian in Oregon

The guns are nothing overly special. There is no federal law against threading the barrel. Most states do not prohibit it either. (As you might well imagine, California is one of those that bans threaded muzzles on handguns.)

The suppressors themselves are legal under federal law provided you have a tax stamp for them. This is per the 1934 National Firearms Act. Roughly two-thirds of the states allow suppressors. I don't know how many allow them for hunting, but Oregon has no rule against it. (Some claim these are used by poachers, but that's hooey. Those using suppressors do so to keep from spooking game and/or for hearing protection, since a suppressor is nothing more than a muffler for a firearm.)

The process is to contact a federally licensed dealer or manufacturer to purchase a suppressor. Make the purchase. Then file a BATF Form 4 in duplicate, accompanied with a passport photo on each copy, plus two fingerprint cards. Also a check for $200. The sticky point in all of this is that it requires a CLEO sign-off. That means your local police chief or sheriff needs to sign off on the forms, and some play political games and won't sign. There are ways around it like incorporating or trusts, but I'm not going to get into that much detail here. Anyway, after the paperwork is sent to BATF the normal waiting period for approval is 45 days to six months, depending on backlog and other factors. A minor penmanship error on one of my forms caused it to be sent back in the third month. Once you receive the approved forms then and only then can you take possession of your suppressor. You'll need to carry a copy of the approved form with you when carrying and using the suppressor.

As for the suppressor itself, yes, there are baffles inside. Wikipedia has some basic drawings of typical suppressor innards (see link).

9. cpd544

cpd544 Member

Yes my Ruger has a Gemtech Outback on it and it is unbelievably quiet especially with subsonic ammo. I also have an AR15 with a Gemtech G5 suppressor on it and a 10-22. Both 22s have tactical solutions barrels.

cpd544_2009_23061.jpg

10. Brian in Oregon

BTW, since we're on the subject...a firearm makes three basic noises when firing...

Muzzle report. This is caused by the rapid expansion in free air of the gasses propelling the bullet. This is what the suppressor is designed to muffle.

Action noise. A semi-auto is going to make more noise than a manually operated bolt action. Also, firearms that vent gas into the atmosphere are often going to make a pop. The FN FAL gas system will do this. The AR15 as designed channels gas into the bolt. This muffles the gas system.

Bullet noise. If the bullet travels faster than the speed of sound, it makes a crack, which is a miniature sonic boom. For a .22 LR, the crack of the bullet can be as loud as the muzzle report. Meaning putting a suppressor on a .22 LR and then firing supersonic bullets, particularly those like Mini-Mags, the bullet crack makes it sound like you have no suppressor. On a centerfire, like a .223 Rem, the muzzle report will be reduced to that of a .22 LR or .22 Mag, depending on the suppressor, but the bullet crack will still sound like the muzzle report of a .22 LR.

This is why subsonic bullets are popular for use with suppressors, as you can see in my initial photo in this thread. A benefit is that the bullet does not cross the sonic barrier, so it incurs no buffeting. Accuracy is increased. My 10-22T with subsonic ammo and the suppressor (which also strips gas from around the bullet) is more accurate than shooting it without the suppressor using quality target ammo. I can make accurate hits out to 100 yards suppressed with subsonics, but, the trade-off is they have less power.

11. Brian in Oregon

Nice.

I'm looking at a threaded CMMG Sierra .22LR upper for my AR15. May order one next week.

Above is my 10-22T, with the barrel shortened to 16.75" and threaded.

12. cpd544

cpd544 Member

One of the good things about both of the Rugers I have is you can buy anything you want as far as accessory parts. Such as bolt stops so the bolt does not cycle making it even quieter. The AR has a gas shut off control to stop the bolt from cycling making it quieter as well. In both you just have to cycle the gun by hand. Subsonic ammo does shoot a lot different than regular so you need to have the gun sighted in with subsonic if you want to maintain accuracy.

Ruger also just came out with the 10-22 with a threaded barrel from the factory so you don't have to spend the money getting yours threaded or buying a different barrel.

13. Brian in Oregon

I saw the 10-22 with threaded barrel, but it is a medium weight barrel. It may be the same barrel as used on their SR-22 "AR15" wannabe, since both are 16.12" in length. Might be a good setup in lieu of a Tac-Sol barrel, which aren't cheap.

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Brian, I recently acquired a Glock 17 and saw a threaded barrel for it on Sportsman Merchandise or something like that. Thought I might order one just in case I ever get the signature I need. My local sheriff and police chief refuse to sign them. Also How much did the threaded barrel cost for the buckmark. I have a two tone Camper Gold that I love to shoot and is very accurate. I also picked up a two tone S&W22A-1 a couple of weeks ago but haven't checked on a threaded barrel for it either. Jackie B.

15. Brian in Oregon

Mine was a custom job because of the rib. The normal cost is $150 for the standard barrels (round or flat sided) which included setting the barrel back, making a knurled thread protector, and finishing or refinishing as needed.

You can also get replacement threaded Buckmark barrels from High Desert Dog, but you'll have to transfer your sight over. These are in the $180 range, if they have them in stock.

Tornado Technologies can make your S&W 22A into a suppressor host. I called Mike on your behalf. He says they internally bore the muzzle on the 22A, then add an extension that is externally threaded 1/2"-28 (same as AR15 and is a common suppressor thread size for .22 caliber bores). Cost is $150. You'll need to contact him to arrange when to send the gun in, as he periodically stops taking in work to keep the backlog low. I believe he will be taking in work until the end of the month or so, but contact him soon if you need this done.

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

My night time predator hunting setup 223 caliber with suppressor.

17. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

In europe its considered rude to have a gun without a suppressor.

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks Brian. Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning buckmark field

browning buckmark field model
browning buckmark srt suppressor pica

browning buckmark suppressed

buck mark field target suppressor ready