1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

supplying your own wood to Wenigs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bridger, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

Anyone ever done it and could tell me what they charge to machine and finish it for you? They were pretty evasive when I asked them about it because I suppose they want to sell the whole package, wood included. Would there be a substantial savings if you bought and supplied your own blank?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont think there is a "substantial savings" and if your blank is defective you are out the price of your blank and of their labor

Look at it from their perspective

Gene

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

It would depend on the grade of wood you are considering. If you have access to a high grade blank worth $750-3,000, it would be a savings. If you are thinking about a basic walnut blank, it is probably not worth the effort to furnish the wood.

Pat Ireland

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

On the other hand I've bought a couple of pretty nice blanks from Gordon at pretty good prices, and am looking for a couple of stocks to be made from them.

5. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I was quoted about $1800 for fitting, finishing and checkering my Bastogne walnut extra fancy blank. High gloss finish with fine Fleur d' lis (spelling). Nice folks to work with. Will fit to a stock gun if you can't tie yours up or will precisely fit it to your gun if given enough time.

Bob

6. g7777777

Bob-- did that 1800 include fitting the gun to you and test shooting it?

or was that just for a dimensional stock?

regards

Gene

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Gene

Negative. That was the stock finished to my suppied dimensions. No personalized fitting by Wenig or test shooting. I do not know what that would add to the cost.

Bob

8. larry prior

larry prior Member

hAD stock and forearm cut a month ago. if its pretty straight forward no wild cuts,mine 155.00

9. g7777777

I think that adds 800

I have a lot of wood here-- I have collected over the years-- some of it would be high high high high exhibition judging by the pictures I see on here from Gordon

But- you never know how it will turn out as a stock

And-- where Fred will charge you more by grade for your own wood use there is a reason- and that is although he can say and state that a customers own wood is not his responsibility if it cracks or is unsuitable- human nature being what it is- some customers would blame it on him- so he has to factor that in

Go with his wood- and go with a fitting- my guess is-- the price will be lower in the end

Not guessing at all-- to spend this much without a fitting is like assuming Democrats are gun friendly and closing your eyes

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.