1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SuperX1-Took ALL the advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by woodie, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodie

woodie TS Member

Went back for the third time (yes,even my wife says how slow I move) shook the moths off the billfold and bought that Super X. Took it over to my buddies to show him but had to limit the time I let him hold it, drool factor. The bluing is not worn anywhere,the wood easily rivals that of my 3200 special trap. Looked for the buffer and could only see the screw. Will call Wrights for a bolt buffer and shell catcher. Can you get to the bolt buffer for replacement by pulling out trigger assembly? Checked trigger pull with snap cap,seems very smooth. Trigger is gold with no grooves cut into it, stage 3? Are there any manuals left out there that Tom offered? Gun looks to have been shot very little, I think I lucked out. Anything else I should be aware of on this gun. All the answers I received before were very welcome, thanks a LOT.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

woodie: I don't know how skilled you are with disassembly/assembly of firearms. If you are anything like me I would leave the "buffer" installation to the experts. My reasoning for this is if you want to shoot this gun for trap you will at best need a shell deflector; as in most cases the Super X-1 throws the hulls a mile. (At least both of the ones I have did). Send the gun to Wrights and have them weld a shell deflector on the barrel extension, have them replace the bolt buffer and inspect the receiver, and if you wish they have a T&S shell catcher in stock. ($30) If you need this catcher I just purchased one from Wrights, (for $30) and will ship to you for $20. (I usually use one of my Model 12's for singles/handicap) You still will have to grind some stock off the bolt handle to operate the shell catcher. If the trigger is gold it is very possible it has a Stage 3 trigger. Ed

3. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Woodie -

Good for you, great investment.

As far as manuals go I'm down to my personal copy. I have sent out the manuals I had left to the men that requested them last week. I have had such a response for the manuals that I will take my last copy to California with me next week when I go there, and have a dozen copys made. I will then send them out to whoever promises to have their manual copied and will pass on the copies to others, hopefully you.

Don't forget what I told you about the firing pin spring, replace it asap.

Tom Strunk
    bogieone@hughes.net

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Woodie, congratulations for taking another one off the market lol...

I believe if it has a gold trigger, it was one of the pigeon triggers they used when the other ran out. I know when RJB did mine, the gold's were the only stage triggers left available. not a bad option!

As I remember on the bolt buffer, you need to remove the stock using a wide blade screwdriver and the barrel and bolt assy. Then you can just pop it out.

5. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

woodie ,

I took advantage of my pricing with Brownell's and bought their 5-pak of buffers plus some other SX-1 stuff . Now , I'm unable to repeatedly bend over to collect empties so the SX-1s generally sit idle .

So , since you are a new SX-1 driver ,if you'd like , I'll sell you a new buffer for $17 plus a dollar for postage . Contact me and we can sort out the details . E-dress is good .

Charlie

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Finger I have a question for you ---

I noticed you and others always mention to replace the recoil spring ( Winchesters name is return spring ). Can you tell me why? I have been shooting a tricked out Winchester Super-X for 25 years and have never needed to replace this spring. Is there something I missed? Everything works perfectly. Emerson Hoblit of release trigger fame told me to remove it every few years and clean the interior of the return spring tube and the spring, never mentioned replacement. I make a habit of cleaning mine every time I replace the return spring follower which wears out faster than the buffer.

I have found that the firing pin spring needs to be replaced every two years. I found this out the hard way, twice. This spring will slowly break into little pieces and the gun will still fuction, but when the hammer is released there is a slight delay before firing. If you take this spring out and compare it to a new one I believe a lot of shooters will find the old spring is 1/4 to 3/8 inch shorter. If you are missing targets and think it's just you, please take the time to check this spring, if bad, replace, your scores will improve.

Tom Strunk

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

My understanding is the recoil spring will shorten over the years form use, becoming less effective for it's purpose.
    I haven't check snopes.com to see if it's true though.

8. woodie

woodie TS Member

Bob, easy five minute job. It took me five minutes just to read the instructions! But I printed out the instructions and am looking foward to taking it apart, but not as much as I am looking forward to shooting it. Thanks for all the replies, it helps me out a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.